Need to update Northstar 6100i software - how?

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by cptnpete, May 10, 2018.

1. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff/Webbers Cove 40, Forest Johnson Prowler 32 (for sale)
    Our new to us boat has master and slave (using manufacturer terminology) Northstar 6100i units.

Slave on bridge turns on but does not show anything so we scored a craigslist replacement that works, however the new slave has software updated that the original master does not.

As far as I can tell I download the software update onto my computer from here:

Downloads for Northstar 6100i | Northstar

Then I use something like this to transfer it to a CF card like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Comp...pID=41LN-4viTpL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Compact-WEme...pID=41lVe7pQUGL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Then I insert that CF disk with the software update files into the chart reader on the 6100i unit(s) following instructions in the downloaded files.

For anyone familiar with updating a Northstar unit, does that all make sense? Any other suggestions?

This fancy electronics is all new to us. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    6ki Software Update Instructions

Preparation and General Directions
    Remove all chart cards from all 6ki units.
    Power off the Radar, Echo Sounder, Auto-pilot and any NMEA devices connected to the 6ki system.
    Note: This recommendation is to prevent input of data, which could interrupt or stop the process. The only other limitations are that power can not be interrupted and that no key presses should be entered on any unit in the system during the update process.

Power on all 6ki units only.

Ensure entire system network is running.

Update any and all slave units first, after each is updated, it may be powered off.

Update the master unit last.
    To update the 6ki software -
    Press and release the * (Star) key several times until the Options/Service Info screen is displayed.
    Open the chart card door and insert the software CF programming card. Do not force it!
    Press the MORE soft key.
    Press the SOFTWARE UPDATE soft key.
    Close the door and depress the CHECK CARTRIDGE soft key.
    Verify the correct version number is displayed
    Press START UPDATE soft key, then ENTER when confirmation text box appears.
    DO NOT INTERUPT THE UPDATE PROCESS!
    There are two devices that will be erased, re-programmed and verified.
    When the process is complete, the 6ki will countdown, power off and re-start automatically.
    Once the 6ki Splash Screen is displayed, it will be safe to remove the Compact Flash card.
    Turn the unit off. Complete the update for all units in the network as outlined above.
    You may now restore power to your Radar, Autopilot/Heading Sensor and Fish Finder.
    Re-install any chart cards removed before starting the update process.
    Notes:

All units must be completely powered off and back on to insure proper network operation is restored once the update has been completed.

If software is downgraded (earlier version re-installed) then all user preference and any custom installation settings will be lost. This is not a recommended practice as newer products may not be backward compatible.

3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
  4. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks Wharf Rat. Glad to get confirmation. Appreciate the detailed instructions and especially the advice on disk size. We should be back in business soon!

5. cptnpete

cptnpete Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Success! Took a few tries as units weren't recognizing cartridge for some reason. Turns out it didn't work with the downloaded zip file extracted first. Worked with the zip file intact.

Thanks again for the input Wharf Rat!