New Build - General Marine 22 - Center Console Pilothouse

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by SeaKarma, Nov 11, 2015.

1. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

As I've mentioned in a couple past posts, I have ordered a General Marine 22' from Stacey at General Marine. This will replace my current Ocean Scout pilothouse. The gelcoat was done today, along with the vinylester skin coat being completed, so I felt I should get this thread going.

He is building my 22' as a commercial finish hull kit, and I will be finishing it over the winter.

The unique aspect of this boat is that he will be building a fiberglass outboard bracket for it, and obviously keep the transom fully closed as a result. My understanding is that my boat will be the first CC 22 he has done with a bracket. The plan is that the bottom of the hull will be smooth with the bracket, essentially extending the the running surface.

Once I get the hull, sometime around February, I will be building a center console pilothouse on it. The house will have a closed back, hard sides, sliding DSG doors on both sides of the house, and I plan on hopefully negotiating a head into the forward portion of the CC house, under the dash area. I'm pretty insistent on making the head work in there, so I'm willing to sacrifice the required deck space to make it fit.

I really like the CB 23, and I think the sheer line is just perfect on it. I had full intention of checking a couple of them out as that was my first choice. I happened to have a free day, went up to GM to see the 22 he had in progress. When I saw how the molded foam filled stringer system worked, and that I could just set the deck on them and have it already pitched correctly and the water line set up correctly - I was sold. I compared that to having to build a deck structure for the CB23, and it seemed like a easy choice. The second factor was the extra beam bringing it to 9'. Since I'm doing a CC house, every inch of width near the door openings will count. I did not go there anticipating making a decision that day, but it happened.

I know that almost any thread is useless without pictures, so for now I'll attach a basic sketch of what I'll be going for. Its just a quick sketch, not completely to scale, that I did one night when messing around with some ideas and angles. I think the house is represented a bit smaller than it will realistically look on the boat. I also would not use it as an accurate representation of a GM22 outline..

I expect to see photos of the progress soon and will post them when I see them.

Anyone from the Merrimack on here?

Attached Files:

doug hill, BRiggerNY and Bill like this.
  2. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Sounds like a great boat, I like the angle of your forward windows. How wide will the decks be around the sides of your cabin?

I wonder why yours is the first to have an outboard bracket? Seems logical to me that the bracket is a superior way to mount an outboard. How much HP you going with? Good luck with the project.

3. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

I'm not sure really.. Maybe there just has not been the demand to do something like that. I will have to ask.

So until I get a chance to get up there and take some precise measurements off the one that is there, I can't give exact numbers on the width, but my rough guess is about 20-22 inches or so. It will vary because the 9' beam is not carried all the way to the stern, I'm told it is around 8' at the stern.

I already have a 2015 Suzuki DF140A for it. I was told that it is great power for the hull. I think as long as I take weight into consideration - to some degree - when building the house, I should be able to get a reasonable cruise speed out of it. If I get 18-22 mph I'm plenty happy.

Roy-c likes this.
  4. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I have seen a larger pilot house CC with a similar set up- it was an everglades or jupiter or something- go fast CC.

Sliding doors on the sides of the house that slide aft to open and the back of it was not a hard piece of glass but isinglass so it was really able to be opened up on nice weather days. Also had 2 small hatches on the top for forced ventilation.

Looks like a very cool boat in the making.

EDIT: google Maritime SKiff Voyager 23. They have a pilothouse that has some great features and I think they will sell you just the house if you want. Would opt for removable glass in the back of the house myself.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    duxbait likes this.
  5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    What a neat looking rig, that beats an open CC any day. Nice lines of that house and not to criticize but i would think glass in that door would be what i would want. i like full visibility.

Please do keep us posted on your build.

Oh and i also like the bracket to free up all the deck space you can. I would think of a full breadth bracket to follow the bottom lines aft. can help flatten out your ride.

6. Eastporter

Eastporter Captain

Boat Make:
    Sold- 20' Eastporter (Rebuilt 2011) 22' Pearson Ensign
    25' Nauset

I like your idea of a pilothouse cc. Here's a Nauset 25 for comparison.

Attached Files:

ErikT and HUNTHARD like this.
  7. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

I really considered a soft back, which is also similar to one of the old Shamrock pilothouses. I can see where it would be nice on the 90 degree days. But part of my desire is to close and lock the doors, and leave it at the dock without always stressing out about my electronics, and all the little items inside. I figure with a roof hatch to scoop in air, a sliding back window, and the sliding side doors - the airflow should get going in there nicely.

For a layout inside (which also nessicitates a closed back) I will have one helm seat with a flip up leaning boulster built into the seat bottom that will be mounted on the starboard side of the interior. I want it on a slider so when it's back, and the boulster is flipped up, it's mostly clear of the 24" wide door, which allows me to stand and use it as a leaning post directly inline with the full doorway. When it's slid forward, I'll be sitting mostly in line with the door opening for air and visibility. Behind the helm seat, there will be a fold up bench seat mounted on the back wall. I found these very nice heavy duty brackets from boat outfitters that will allow me to build a nice flip up bench seat. I figure this will give standing room in the cabin when needed, and also plenty of seating when needed.

Behind the cabin, I plan on putting my yeti 125 under the rear overhang, strapped to the deck, with the cushion top on it for additional seating. I'll build a 10" deep cavity into the back wall. This will allow me to flush mount a tackle storage unit on the exterior back of the house above the cooler, and have hatches on the inside down by the floor so directly behind the cooler, below the storage unit, inside that cavity can be used as a small storage area as well.

I already own the DSG doors, they are glass top to bottom with something like a 6-8" rail/stile width around their perimeter.

The maritime voyager was one of the boats that gave me the inspiration for the house, also the osprey northwind 22 was a big inspiration for its layout.

8. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

Thanks! I saw that one online, another piece of inspiration that went into the vision I have for what I'm going for.

That's a nice looking boat. Only issue for me is something about that front window looses me.. Not sure if it's the one piece, or the angle, or both. Still a nice looking boat though.

Bill and Eastporter like this.
  9. lindsey 28

lindsey 28 Senior Member

Marine fuel cleaning,mechanic,boat captain
    Boat Make:
    28 lindsey-burpee
    Going to be a sweet looking rig,have fun.

10. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Are they building the pilot house or purchasing it? There are some good options out there that could save time and money.

11. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    I think the west coast style windshield like your drawing, looks better on an enclosed center console (just my opinion).

When I built my Wesmac and Lowell walkarounds, I got a lot of good ideas and inspiration from the BAMF Boats www.bamfboats.com
    Their 30' "Fisharound" is a nicely designed walkaround boat. Not a center console like yours, but you still might get some good ideas from their designs.

Also, a really cool boat are the Sargo boats, previously known as Minor boats. Their website is http://www.sargoboats.fi/ I love the rugged look of their boats.

12. duxbait

duxbait Captain

Fisherman
    Heres a few more photos for ideas. Not a downeast, but one of the best V hulls out there, and its got a keel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blitzen likes this.
  13. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    I've had both style of windows on multiple boats, the west coast style is a superior design in every way, in my opinion. But I also understand tradition and wanting to keep with a certain style that fits the area and pleases the customers.
    When I built my Wesmac walk around cabin, I designed it to look similar to the factory Wesmacs, and even though it looked good, I really regretted not going with the west coast style. Cabin space is increased, glare is greatly reduced, windows are more protected and shed water much better with wc style.

You got a steal on those DSG doors, do they have any more surplus items?

14. Seabass08

Seabass08 Member

Stacey built one other 22 a few years back that had a bracket. That boat was not a center console though, had a full pilot house. That boat performed really well and he has been wanting to do another for a while. I am looking forward to seeing this one come together.

15. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Here is that voyager. Couldn't find a pic. See the head access door ?

Maybe go with a large, single pane of glass that can open out and would provide a little shelter outside if someone were back there too.

I think Maritime sells this house whole if you are interested.

Cool project.[​IMG]

strikecharters and lindsey 28 like this.
  16. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    that voyager house would look bad ass with western style windows!

17. skyeboat

skyeboat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Coastal 27
    You should try to keep it light up top...not a lot of boat for the weight of all that house.

Sailorgp likes this.
  18. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

Stopped up at General Marine this evening to check it out.

Being the first boat I've bought new and the first one that I will be finishing from new, it was a very impressive and exciting thing to see! :razz:

Attached Files:

Toolate and Bill like this.
  19. Sike Out

Sike Out Member

Precision Parts Manufacturing
    Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal
    Looking good so far, Really looking forward to seeing this boat finished.

SeaKarma likes this.
  20. SeaKarma

SeaKarma Senior Member

The Voyager is a nice set up, and it is a boat that was one of my primary motivators to go forward with this.

But those windows, the overhang, visor, etc just doesn't hit that sweet spot for me when I look at the Voyager's house.

I really think that the best looking one out there for example is the Osprey Northwind 22. They don't make it anymore, but the few pictures that are available on it just show perfect proportions on the pilothouse design, IMO.

I've been thinking quite a bit about the entrance to the head, and I most often see them inside the cabin, such as Maritime's consoles. But I plan on putting the door on the exterior, port side of the house. In the same area on the starboard side I can put just a basic rectangle port light. My reasoning for that is I figure that the residual smell and accompanying sounds will be greatly reduced when I'm at the helm and someone else is in there utilizing the head. The other reason is that I would like to put the Blue seas DC panel there and the battery management panel. I'd like as much space to spread the electrical work out as I can get.

I wonder what something like that maritime pilothouse sells for?

Toolate likes this.