New guy - delivery cruise pic thread

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by duckhunter, Jul 29, 2017.

1. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    For sure. Great little spot, and popular for folks heading both ways in the ICW.

2. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    This barge cruised by as we were preparing to leave. Pretty impressive - this is a lot of boat in a narrow canal. We'd catch up and pass him in the Currituck Sound.

[​IMG]

Got underway and immediately picked up a hitchhiker.

[​IMG]

Coinjock was a great stop - everything from work skiffs to mega yachts. Apparently this is a popular marina for delivery Captains going in both directions.

[​IMG]

Series of random pictures from this leg:

North Landing swing bridge and the beautiful house just on the other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Autopilot engaged (aka my buddy Mike). Note the nice shiny new throttle/shift knobs to replace the faded plastic ones. Installed these after successfully completing the first big solo day as a "thank you" to the boat. Picked them up at the marine surplus store in the Jarrett Bay compound. Some really cool stuff in there; apparently a lot of it comes off of big sporties going through the yard for a refresh. It's worth a stop if you're in the area.

[​IMG]

Pit stop before the lock (Atlantic Yacht Basin) and a nice Nordhaven tied up and a beautiful motoryacht on the hard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting ready to lock through. The lockmaster was great, although this was a little anticlimactic compared to the 20-30 ft elevation changes on the TN river. It was great having an extra set of hands onboard for this kind of thing.

[​IMG]

Sweet compound right after the lock. A few houses and a community boat dock.

[​IMG]

Old-school railroad swing bridges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pretty much takes the journey from Beaufort at MM200 to the Elizabeth River just short of Norfolk at MM0 of the Atlantic Intracoastal. Hell of a trip thus-far, and pretty much the halfway point give or take a few miles.

[​IMG]

Dr Dude, tailhook and Keelboater like this.
  3. bpevans

bpevans Member

This thread is just a small world, the yacht there is owned by a friend and I've been fortunate enough for a few invites on trips aboard. I figured this thread was an ongoing real-time account but since that yacht is presently laid-up in Lauderdale getting repainted this had to be back in July when they were on their way back from Cape Cod I guess?

duckhunter likes this.
  4. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Im really enjoying your trip..
    Yes, whomever designed this thing had the ergonomics just about perfect. Its easy to get in/out of the cockpit without needing stairs yet its deep enough so everyone feels very safe when we are underway.
    Plus..the step to the wheelhouse is easy and makes for decent seat.
    Not bad..

duckhunter likes this.
  5. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Exactly right - the trip was a month ago, just wanted to share it here with other DE fans.

Your friend has a beautiful yacht! One of the things I found unique about Coinjock was the wide variety of boats from 18' to 80' all tied up to the same dock and everyone hanging out and listening to music and/or eating a big plate full of meat. Neat little spot in the middle of NOWHERE.

6. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Agreed, Royal Lowell did a good job with the ergos throughout the boat. It's just a solid, classic design.

7. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    duckhunter likes this.
  8. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Good eye OLD BAY! That's her, standing tall in the Gunpowder Neck Marina.

Dr Dude likes this.
  9. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    The Norfolk / Hampton Roads area is highlighted in the various cruising guides as one of the busiest ports in the US, and I completely agree. Just a ton of recreational, commercial, law enforcement, and military traffic of all shapes and sizes.

Unfortunately didn't get a ton of pictures, but it was a very cool experience.

Some serious passage makers. Great paint scheme!

[​IMG]

The Harry S. Truman getting ready to leave drydock:

[​IMG]

Made it through and headed out into the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay. Big water but beautiful conditions.

FT Monroe / Point Comfort lighthouse

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dr Dude likes this.
  10. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Here's Ft Wool, just across Hampton Roads from Ft Monroe:

[​IMG]

And some more USN activity in Norfolk. The nearest CVN is the USS Gerald R. Ford, a week before her commissioning. Kind of cool.

[​IMG]

Dr Dude likes this.
  11. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Cleared Hampton Roads a little later than expected, around 1400; the short 50-mile run from Coinjock was easy enough, but bridge and lock timing added quite a bit of time.

The plan was to make solid progress up the Bay in order to arrive in Annapolis in early afternoon the next day (Sun) to fuel up the boat with diesel and our bellies with steaks and beer. WX for Sun was calling for wind all day out of the North, which after a 170 mile straight shot down the Bay could start creating some pretty good chop. We figured make as many miles as possible to avoid a slog the next day, but before too long we started hearing reports about late afternoon thunderstorms.

WX radar confirmed that discretion was probably the better part of valor at this point, so we started looking for marinas on the W. shore of VA that would allow us to get back on the water quickly again the next morning. Between the Waterway Guide, Navionics, and Google we picked the Marina on Davis Creek in Mobjack Bay, vic. Mathews VA. Mike called the number and talked to the owner, who explained that the approach was narrow and shallow due to shoaling, but do-able for our boat. Plus he had cheap diesel. Sold.

Blue dot in the center of the map is Davis Creek.

[​IMG]

Plugged in the coordinates and picked our way through the channel to the fuel dock. Craig, the owner, met us and we topped off the tank. We hoped. The diesel pump was clearly designed for larger boats, and even barely squeezing the handle it quickly overwhelmed the fill capability of the Nauset. Fill for a while, let the vent tube vent for a while, and repeat. Did some napkin math and figured we were healthy enough for the 118 mile trip to Annapolis.

Craig turned out to be a salty old dude and gave a lot of great advice on handling a single inboard, and coached me through backing her into a slip for the first time. Then he showed us around the basic but clean and well-kept facilities and we spent some time cleaning up the boat and ourselves and checking in at home. He then proceeded to drive us to a great local food joint in Mathews and we had dinner while he told us about the area. On the way back to the boat he swung by Food Lion so we could top off on snacks, ice, and beer. Customer service doesn't get ANY better than that.

[​IMG]

I really can't say enough good things about the hospitality of Craig / Davis Creek, and what a hidden gem that we found in this place. It's not fancy, even a little bit. There's no pool, no clubhouse, and one of the docks has hurricane damage from a few years ago. The cruising guide called it "rustic," as would my teenage daughter. The approach is a bit of a pain in the ass due to shoaling. All that said, it's exactly the kind of place that resonates with me. Not a yacht club guy, as evidenced by the thirty year-old lobster boat and my checkbook. This place was down-home, unpretentious, and an awesome spot to watch thunderstorms work their way around all night while never dropping a bit of rain on us.

Sat in the cockpit and had a few sundowners and watched the Pink Floyd laser light show surrounding us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's very possible that Mike had the better sleeping setup while he was aboard. I brought a queen size Coleman air mattress and he had the box fan in the salon. Not all bad.

[​IMG]

This place is worth a day trip for local guys if you're into classic deadrise workboats and good downhome company. Highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JimRP31, chortle, bpevans and 3 others like this.
  12. chortle

chortle Captain

retired
    Boat Make:
    Herreshoff Coquina, 1972 Jarvis Newman 36, PT11
    Great posts, I have enjoyed them very much.
    If you make it to Annapolis by Wednesday you might enjoy the sailboat races in the Severn River from 6PM to 7:30 or so starting off the Horn Point shoal marker, proceeding out into the bay and returning to finish downtown at the Spa Creek Bridge in front of the Annapolis Yacht Club (under reconstruction.) A mooring in the harbor is a great place to watch the finish. Often very dramatic. If you need a ride Thursday to get something let me know and I can probably help you out.

duckhunter likes this.
  13. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Thanks for the offer! Already made it home a few weeks ago - just documenting it here for posterity and to maybe convince someone else to get out and have an adventure on their boat.

The amount of sailing activity around Annapolis is unreal! Very cool city for boating in general.

14. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Got an early start out of Davis Creek, rounded the Point Comfort Light, and headed straight up the Bay for the 118 mile trip to our destination on the Magothy River in Annapolis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conditions were perfect for an hour or so, then gradually got rougher as the chop picked up. Not bad at all, but required some attention at the helm to stay on course. Mike and I figured out a good battle rhythm, where we'd do an hour at the helm and then swap spots, allowing one guy to rotate "off shift" and go down below to relax, peek in the engine hatch, grab a snack, and relax. Also a good time for the guy down below to run the bilge pump to drain a few gallons of water out; the rudder shaft was leaking steadily while underway but barely weeping at rest. Ended up fixing it at the end of the trip, but we just monitored it during this long run up the Bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were both impressed with how smooth the ride was down in the cockpit. Kicking back in a big comfy folding chair up against the bulkhead was awesome - just watch the wake and the water go by.

We ran like this for hours, varying the speed between 12 and 16kts depending on conditions and preference of the guy running the boat at the time. Fortunately the waves really died down mid-day and the trip became fairly relaxed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the amazing parts to me was how empty the lower Bay was. Other than the freighter pictured above and a barge with a tow, there wasn't anything else moving out there. Makes you feel pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Also leads to interesting conversations about the best way to set up the main or genset raw water intake as an impromptu crash pump if we hit a container or something.

Keelboater, winterking and Dr Dude like this.
  15. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    We finally started getting up towards the upper Bay and seeing some land and a few other boats.

[​IMG]

Making progress...
    [​IMG]

As we closed on the Bay Bridge a text came in from my broker requesting permission for a flyby in his Donzi. Damn right you can do a flyby!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I mentioned in the OP, he did an exceptional job and I won't buy a big boat without a buyer's agent representing my interests. PM me for contact info. Thanks again Digger! [​IMG]

Got some great shots of the boat running in the Bay. Pretty sure some of these were posted already, but whatever. It's a photo thread, right? Plus she's a sexy girl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JimRP31 and Keelboater like this.
  16. duckhunter

duckhunter Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    It was fricking sweet seeing the Ches Bay Bridge coming up on the horizon. Being a weekend, the water was full of boats, especially the infamous fleet of sailboats that operate in and around Annapolis. Having two sets of eyes was a huge plus given the amount of recreational traffic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going under the bridge brought a feeling of satisfaction. She was now well and truly in her new "home waters" of the Upper Chesapeake Bay. Plus we had made great time, so there was a cold beer in the near future for us...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Headed into the entrance of the Magothy River and threaded the needle through all of the boat traffic to the local marina, where we topped off with diesel and I got a great lesson on how to pump out the holding tank from the kid on the dock. Appeared to be a high school kid with a summer job, and he was hustling with all of the customers coming in for fuel and ice. Pretty sweet summer gig all things considered; fresh air, on the water, and plenty of eye candy around.

Once the fuel tank was full our attention shifted to filling our bellies after a long day not eating much of anything more than snack food. Tied up to the T-dock at Mike's place and washed up for dinner. Salad, potato, steak, and one or two drinks. Boom. Beautiful setup - the boat will be tied up here again for sure.

[​IMG]

The intrepid voyagers and Mabel the Wonderdog.

[​IMG]

Celebratory bourbon and cigars on the dock.

[​IMG]

Final stretch home in the morning. Some of our good friends from Alabama had just arrived with their four daughters, so the boat wasn't going to get a lot of rest after the long trip!

17. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Thanks for the great post!!!!!!