New guy - delivery cruise pic thread

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by duckhunter, Jul 29, 2017.

1. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Thanks!

That sounds like a great run - something like 80 miles. Pick a good weekend, load up the boat and the cooler, and get out there and enjoy the water. You really can't beat coastal Carolina, North or South!

There's a lot to be said for a 20' CC, esp. a nice one like an Eastern. Small enough to be easy to deal with, and large enough to be practical. Perfect ICW day tripper and sand bar hopper.

2. andy65

andy65 Senior Member

A dinette table like that is so much more useful than the coffee table style. Face each other when talking, eating, playing games. Am enjoying the thread.

3. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Didn't get as much done during the winter layup as I had hoped. Between holidays, snow, and work travel the time flew by.

Replaced some stuff and got the bottom prepped for paint. Agenda items include actually painting the bottom, along with buffing and waxing the hull and topsides. Hoping to get that done and splash in early April in time for striper fishing.

[​IMG]

Also found the mother of all coolers on CL. Couldn't bring myself to spend the $700 on a new one. This will work, and is a great size for the cockpit. Gonna get a local place to sew up a cushion for the top for cruising duty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready to get the projects wrapped up and get back on the water for sure.

Kit_L likes this.
  4. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Nice, you need to get a DEBF sticker for that cooler!

duckhunter and JimRP31 like this.
  5. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Electrical utilities
    It’s stupid how small the boat makes that cooler!!!

duckhunter likes this.
  6. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Nice find on the cooler. It looks like a early version of the Icey-tek before Yeti got it's legs.

duckhunter likes this.
  7. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    So I totally overestimated the amount of work that would happen in March. Between overseas work trips and significant snow and weather it just didn't happen. The good news is that she made it through the storms no worse for the wear, and I won the annual chili cookoff at the marina a few weeks ago. Bad news is that I can't seem to string together two straight weekend days of good weather to bottom paint.

Scraped some barnacles and got everything prepped for paint last Sat. The running gear in-particular needed some love, so I hit it with a DA sander followed by some potent etching primer. Should give the bottom paint a fighting chance of surviving the turbulent water down there. And yes, I'm tracking that the prop nuts are missing. Pulled them just to make sure it could be done, and now waiting on a new cotter pin.

After scraping barnacles and before sanding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ready for paint:

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get back on the water and hopefully get in on some trophy striper (rockfish?) action. The new (to me) cooler is ready to go, and I've got a bunch of rod holders to attach. The full cockpit cover will make fishing a little challenging, but the shade is totally worth it, and all of the pipework gives a lot of options for setting up a multi-level trolling spread. We'll see how it goes...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  8. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Yeah roger, it's pretty unreal. The cockpit just swallows chairs and gear, and reaffirms our decision to go bigger than planned. Two big dudes could sit on the cooler and watch rods without crowding each other or anyone else.

Yup, it's an Icey-tek from the vintage when the original company was purchased by Yeti. Super happy with the find. It's not quite as nice as the more recent big premium coolers, but it wasn't $700 either... The marina has free ice, so even if it doesn't keep stuff frozen for nine months like a new Tundra I figure it's good to go.

The amount of available beer storage is fairly impressive.

[​IMG]

sailor of fortune likes this.
  9. DBM

DBM Senior Member

You'll appreaciate that skeg under the prop especially up the bay where you are. There's a couple of creeks down near Annapolis and on the Choptank that I bottom bounce into.....If you ever end up heading to Kentmoor restaurant on Kent Island (best crabs on the bay, not to mention the beach and the tiki bar), getting into that creek in a north or a south blow can be dicey.... I love watching the clorox bottles try to follow me in only to turn around when there depth sounder alarm goes off...

DBM,
    duckhunter likes this.
  10. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    The protected gear on a DE was one of the big selling points for us. Already took advantage of it once, sliding into the little marina in Mathews VA on the delivery trip.

It's looking like the narrow channel into our current marina shoaled up pretty well over the winter. It's going to be right around 3.5' at low tide in at least one spot. No worry for me due to the full keel, but some of the big boats with twins and all of the sailboats are going to have to plan ahead.

11. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Did I miss something - that’s not the typical Bruno 35 skeg is it? That looks like a Fortier.

12. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    Wasn't it modified for twins, then back to a single engine?

13. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Ahhh... found your previous “discussion” on that. Twin BBC gassers eh? Single cat mucho better!

duckhunter likes this.
  14. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
    It doesn't look like a Bruno 35 skeg and it does not look like a Fortier....I have had a 35 Bruno and I have a 33 Fortier and have had a 26 Fortier and neither look like that....

15. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    The cutaway keel and full skeg are unique for sure. Theoretically, the free space in front of the strut will allow for cleaner water to the prop. Not sure on that, but it seems like some guys have gained efficiency by fairing and sculpting the aft end of their full keel, which is only 6" from the prop. Same theory, clean up the water in front of the wheel.

I've seen some setups similar to mine, but the skeg stops at the strut, leaving the prop exposed and rudder unsupported from below. Really like the way this one was done, and it's bulletproof sturdy.

Not sure how it compares performance-wise to similar Brunos or Nausets with a full-length keel. Seems like she does pretty darn well on 350hp, and underpropped at that.

With the twin Crusaders it didn't cruise a heck of a lot faster than it does with the single, and I've got no complaints about diesel efficiency. So much better than feeding twin BBCs and worrying about gasoline fumes and leaks.

Dr Dude likes this.
  16. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Finally had some bluebird weather and got the bottom painted yesterday. It turned into a bit of a marathon due to the short window of opportunity... Lots of taping, cutting in and painting the gear with a brush, and then going nuts with a roller. By the end of the day I was sore as hell and looked like I had murdered a smurf. Feels really good to have it done. One step closer to being in the water.

Prepped and ready to go:

[​IMG]

And done. Didn't really get any in-progress shots because I don't need a blue phone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty much captures how I looked at the end of the day, head to toe. One of the smartasses in the marina asked what color bottom paint I was using...

[​IMG]

Next step is to buff & wax the hull. It's a little dirty but in great shape - it'll clean up really well. Topsides, pipework, etc. will probably wait until she's in the slip.

Nautahorse and JimRP31 like this.
  17. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Looks goods what did you use on the prop

18. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Nothing on the prop. It didn't seem to collect a lot of barnacles or growth. If anyone has a recommendation though, I'll give it some thought. Some in the marina paint their prop with no-copper bottom paint, but said it doesn't last very long. Most just go bare. I'm not going to invest in propspeed or any high-tech coatings on this wheel.

19. duckhunter

duckhunter Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1984 Nauset 35 flybridge
    Been studying up on trolling setups for trophy rockfish season on the Bay. It's a lot more complex than the walleye trolling and jigging I grew up with - some guys are dragging 15 or 20 lines.

I'm gonna start small and run five or six lines; a mix of two umbrellas, some tandem rigs, and maybe a diving plug in the middle way out back.

Went through all of my freshwater tackle and didn't have anything appropriate, esp. for cow stripers. My biggest walleye jig was 1/2oz, and heaviest rod was strung with 12# line. Started hitting some local shops and cashed in a bass pro gift card for tackle. Also picked up four Penn combos, just a pair of 309s and a pair of Warfare reels on boat rods. Always been a fan of Penn reels, and will probably grab some used US-made Senators in the off season. For now these will work fine. Detail strip and lube right out of the box makes a big difference IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The boat has six rodholders in the gunwales and two on the flybridge rail. I ordered four more to mount on the cockpit enclosure, and will probably end up buying eight or ten more over time if there's a need. There's certainly real estate available with all of the pipework. Not going crazy with Taco or anything, just the Amarine holders that seem to have pretty good reviews. Used thick electrical tape to insulate the aluminum pipework from the SS holders, and disassembled the rodholders and hit every fastener with teflon paste. They seem very sturdy.

[​IMG]

Also grabbed a pair of "outrodders" to help spread everything out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  20. DBM

DBM Senior Member

Shoot me a pm if u want to talk trolling the bay....been doing it more than a few years. (I started in the 70's). I painted the bottom once, never again.....btw where did u have her hauled?

DBM,
    duckhunter likes this.