New member in Westport MA

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Roswell, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Roswell

Roswell Member

Realtor
    Boat Make:
    Hinckley Picnic Boat EP
    Was looking for a cruising /day boat after I sold a Regulator 26.. I picked up a 2002 Hinckley Picnic Boat, it made sense for Westport MA (shallow river, lots of sandbars) with a jet drive and 18" draft. Cruises around 20knots so I can easily get around between the Cape, Islands and Newport or up to Boston where I spend most weekdays.. With a Yanmar 440 I get around 1.5mpg.

Had a hard time finding a nice downeast set up how I'd use it with enough space to cruise comfortably.. With this one I'm not worried about taking a hit on resale if I move onto something else and I look forward to doing a lot of the maintenance myself or with local contractors to avoid spending too much at a Hinckley yard. Hope to see you some of you out there..

Tied up in Westport: Probably pulling her soon to start some winter projects. (electronics, cushions and brightwork!)

[​IMG]

2. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Welcome Aboard.

3. icemang

icemang Captain

Nice boat. Is that where you're keeping her? I was under the impression that the whole front side was commercial only is why I ask. I keep mine across the way at Tripps. Careful in the river if you don't know it well, I can't tell you how many times I've run my center console aground in there.

4. Roswell

Roswell Member

Realtor
    Boat Make:
    Hinckley Picnic Boat EP
    That dock I'm on is privately owned. The two on the west are town docks and reserved for commercial boats, there are a couple more to the East (bridge side) that are also private. I hope to keep my 36' on a mooring in the harbor for quicker access to the ocean..

I'm from Westport and know the River well. I have one of the boathouses as you enter the harbor where I keep an old dark blue 15' Boston Whaler I use in the river pretty often. It's entertaining watch visitors come in and stray out of the channel and quickly run into the sandbar, then easily back off and try again.. Sandbars are constantly moving around in the harbor!