New member with a Seaway

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Sagamore Creek, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    Hi guys,

New member here. Off and on reader of the forum for years. Really appreciate the information.

I had an 18' Seaway center console years ago. Loved the smooth ride and downeast lines. Bounced around in a few other boats over the years (Sailfish, Boston Whaler), but always wanted to go back. In the process now of waiting for delivery of my new Seaway 24' Coastal Hardtop. Size, utility, efficiency and a Yamaha outboard should do the trick. I love the hull shape with the sharp entry angle and the hard chine.

I fish a little, cruise a little, sometimes lobster, and just generally enjoy being out on the water.

Fortunate to have access to a shared dock with my neighbors. No substitute for walking down to your boat, and I don't take that for granted, ever. Only downside is that we have 10-12' of tide change (coastal NH), and our dock goes to mud a few times each month when the tide charts go negative. As a result, an outboard is really the only option. The new boat should run beautifully with a 150 hp.

The other big benefit for me is that the boat is built by Eastern, which is just 30 minutes away in Milton, NH. I've been able to pop up to the factory several times during the build to see the molds, hull, stringers, top structure, etc. I'll be able to visit again when its time to lay out the helm.

I'll post some pics and hope to add some value to the forum in the years to come.

2. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Welcome to the DBF! I like the hard chined Seaway hulls. Very nice design in my opinion. Post some pics of the build process if you can. Best of luck!

3. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    Build is coming along nicely. Stopped by the shop this week. Here are a couple of pics. Disregard the blue on the spray rail, that's just tape. Hull is medium green with tan topsides. Inside cabin has a little teak to dress it up. And the cockpit is open.

Electronics will be installed at the factory. Went with Simrad.

IMG_0936.jpg IMG_0939.jpg IMG_0938.jpg

MikesMarine22, Genius and Keelboater like this.
  4. Spence

Spence Senior Member

Congrats on the new boat. Love my 2013 HT 24 Sport! Very satisfied with the 115 Yamaha

5. voodoojfb

voodoojfb Member

Boat Make:
    22 Tripp CC
    Nice looking boat. I'm also in Portsmouth... do you plan on keeping in the creek? I'm in the process of repowering a Tripp 22 and considering the 150 yam. Would love to know your performance numbers on the larger hull once she is finished.

6. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    It will be in the creek. I'll be sure to pass along the numbers once it launches. Had hoped to be in the water this season, but that is looking less likely. The 150 Yamaha is being mounted on an Armstrong bracket. I wanted the closed stern.

7. tailhook

tailhook Captain

Boat Make:
    31 JC
    Nice looking boat....

8. kcassells

kcassells Member

Keep the build pics coming. Great looking boat!

9. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    Quality takes time. Here it is, with just a little bit of cleanup before we sea trial. Really happy with the finished product. Not much time left to be on the water this season, but ready to drop in once the snow is gone in the spring. IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

10. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    1974 Norton 19
    Beautiful! That’s a great color scheme!

11. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Senior Member

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    35 ft T.Jason
    Looks really nice, congrats!

12. cb34

cb34 Captain

Custom paint that Yami and you will be all set. Great looking boat ...congrats

cb34,
  13. Arcadia 12

Arcadia 12 Member

Custom Woodwork
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    25 Parker, 22 Panga, 18 Sharpie
    Nice!

14. Sleepwalker

Sleepwalker Member

Nice profile!

15. kcassells

kcassells Member

Very Nice Boat. Can you post some pics of the wheelhouse? Thanks!

16. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    Well, since you asked...

The first shot is of the cockpit. Removable box for a completely open deck for fishing. Box back in place for when the wife wants to take the neighbors out for a ride.

The second shot is a close up. ICOM VHF radio. SIMRAD GO9 with the 4G Radar (Battlewagon Mount, made in the USA, really nice quality). Digital Yami gauge right in the center.

The third shot gives you a better sense of the full wheelhouse. Two chairs on boxes (pair of batteries located in box under helm seat for easy access). Also notice the two hinges at the deck, with a latch up near the top of the door. This allows the entire dash console to be tilted forward for easy access to the back of the wheel, throttle, electronics, etc.

You can kind of see the rest of the finishing shop in the background. There are about a dozen boats currently in finishing. A couple of Seaway models and mostly Easterns. If anyone ever wanted to truly compare them side-by-side, my boat was parked next to a 24' Eastern with a similar structure, but very different options/layout. My teak is going to require some extra work, but I thought it looked nice.

IMG_1028.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg IMG_1025.jpg

tailhook likes this.
  17. kcassells

kcassells Member

Hey thank you...awesome details. Are going to canvas the tail end to a full enclosure?

18. Sagamore Creek

Sagamore Creek Member

Boat Make:
    Seaway
    No plans for any canvas yet. Figure I’ll run it for the first season and then decide if I want better enclosure.