New to us - Morton & Hersloff 31

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by Dr Rosemary, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Me thinks there are many versions of the ritual.. coincidence that all end in friends drinking together?? I think not.. lol. Good times!

2. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Well just a quick update. She’s floating now, pulling apart the 6BT for her 1000 hour maintenance.. found a couple concerning things. Here is the result of very shoddy mechanic work. I pulled the fresh water pump just to check the impeller(one in the water pump looked brand new). It was fine, but the output side had three full vanes from an old impeller. So I checked down stream and found 7 more lodged in the oil cooler.. here is a pic after I pulled four vanes out of it.. if my hands could only find the idiot who replaced the torn up impeller, saw there were vanes missing, and just stuck a new one in.. F!”@&(?! Idiot!!!

Attached Files:

3. the_Bartender

the_Bartender Member

Former Merchant Mariner, Now Commercial Fishing
    Boat Make:
    35 Bruno
    The impeller change was done by a very lazy or ignorant mechanic. Whenever you change or check an impeller, you take a good look at the old one and count the vanes. If there are any missing you work your way down stream until you account for ALL of them. Usually the engine oil cooler will reveal most of them. That should be Standard Operating Procedure!

4. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    What the_Bartender said!!! That’s why I like just doing it myself.. different when the mechanic has ownership in the boat.

5. DBM

DBM Senior Member

That was my first taste of working on our cummCum. I destroyed an impellor and got to take apart the whole raw water cooling system as an adecation . Tony from seaboard marine marine was a huge help in teaching me how to check and clear the coolers.

DBM,
  6. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    DBM, thanks, we first headed to Cummins dealer for hoses and after a $700 bill for some of the hoses, a raw water pump rebuild kit, and a antifreeze (water) pump decided Sea Board Marine is the way to go. Our first order arrives Wednesday. Glad to hear they are trusted.
    One question, (maybe this should be posted in another forum?) the hose going from the heat exchanger to the exhaust on ours was a retrofit. The hose had a number I researched was from a mid 2000s Yamaha motorcycle. When I ordered the part from Cummins, they sent me one that is about 6” too short. SBMAR also reports the same short Cummins hose. Any ideas what hose SHOULD be there? I spent an hour at the local parts store comparing similar size hoses that would reach..

7. Genius

Genius Captain

Is there any reason why you can’t use a good wire bound hose from the marine supply house? Shields blue stripe. Does it have to be molded? Sometimes I prefer the marine hose over the stock hoses.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  8. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    It’s a molded hose about a foot long and looks like a question mark.. I don’t want to make the raw water pump any further up than it needs to, and to use the blue stripe without linking it, it would be about an extra 10” of hose and making the raw water pump uphill about 8 more inches then it needs to

9. Genius

Genius Captain

That wouldn't bother anything.

Do you have a picture? What ID is the hose?
    https://assets.gates.com/content/da...gs/gates-molded-coolant-hose-id-guide_web.pdf

10. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Well here goes.. Cummins part # 3910777 looks like item #5 in the first pic. The part on my boat is gates part # 22625 in the next pic. They are way different. And well there are two reasons why I don’t want to use blue stripe hose:
    1. The extra hose involved to bend it to fit would hit the inside of our motor box covering the engine and possibly pinch the hose.
    2. The extra height the water would have to travel to get through the hose would put undue burden on the pump since pumping water uphill is hard to do. 0EBC24D3-4CF5-438A-8BEC-4D5EE608FD15.png 09332AE9-FC17-4690-8D8A-BCC14A10E628.png
    My opinion of course on #2, but I am allowed an opinion too!!

Thanks for the link, I am researching Cummins to gates now.

11. DBM

DBM Senior Member

Are you talking about the hose that goes to the exhaust elbow. We had to jerry rig ours to get to fit under the engine hatch as well. I'll send a pic if i can find it...

DBM,
  12. DBM

DBM Senior Member

see attached

Attached Files:

DBM,
  13. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Yes Sir.. ok so looks like there is no specific hose for it since you can clock the exhaust and mount it in way different directions.. I found a couple hoses at the parts store here on Kent Island that I think we can make work. Thanks all of you guys for the info!

14. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Latest update:
    Ran the freshly painted Cummins for an hour yesterday morning after buttoning up a few hoses.. cleaned out many boxes and packaging from new electronics and engine parts.. decided at the last minute to take her on her maiden voyage. Left the slip to head to the fuel dock, realized we didn’t fill and bleed the steering so it had about a half turn of no response. Got fuel. Left fuel dock and headed west towards Annapolis. At 1500 rpms noticed temp gauge was creeping over 180.. watched it climb until it hit 200 so I shut her down. Realized when we filled the coolant the small peacock over the heat exchanger needed to be bled free of air. Did that and added coolant. Also added fluid to steering system and bled as much as we could while sitting at anchor waiting for it to cool down. Oh yeah, tested the anchor and rope for the first time.
    Here is the best news: our 8 knot boat, after sanding and painting and doing a ton of maintenance on the old Cummins 220, topped out at 15 knots/17.2 mph...
    To prevent any further drama, today is the ceremony for the name changing..

quiknet and Old Mud like this.
  15. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    When I just reread my own post I also wanted to mention it was amazing to stand at the helm of her again.. we put her on the hard November 12 and her first voyage was May 26..
    upload_2018-5-27_5-7-12.jpeg

16. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    I look forward to seeing out on the Chesapeake!

Dr Rosemary likes this.
  17. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Had a great second trip out. Performed our renaming ritual after scouring the boat for any trace of the old name. Capt Josh did a great job reading and performing the ritual. Boat ran great. Have to say, I had forgotten what it was like in 3-4ft following seas, but she showed her true colors when storms blew up some 5-6 footers with 30 knot winds during some afternoon storms.. Longbottom just lumbered along with a commanding presence... we are so proud of her. Here is a pic of after the squall was over, she was getting cleaned up again.

18. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Guess I didn’t wait for the upload..

Attached Files:

19. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    Kentmorr?

Boat looks great.

20. Dr Rosemary

Dr Rosemary Member

Boat Make:
    Morton & Hersloff 31
    Yes sir!!! We followed you in this afternoon.. about broke my neck staring at yours.. sleek and fast!!! Beautiful boat!!

OLD BAY likes this.