Northstar 952X- Need a Card

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by ErikT, Jun 22, 2018.

1. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    The "new to us" boat has a Northstar 952x with a card that stops short at the east river/Manhattan and does not cover my area.
    Looking to keep the unit as a working backup, however I need some help locating a card that covers LI Sound, Montauk and Block Island Sound.

I believe it is the same "Classic" Navionics card used for Furuno Navnet. By chance, does anyone have one they can part with?

Appreciate any help available

2. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Chris at Precision has found LIS cards for others. I just sold mine.. sorry.

ErikT likes this.
  3. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    I have a card from'98 that goes from Shark River Inlet in NJ to Block, the 'New York to Block' coverage. For something a little more current, look on Ebay for the US825 coverage region, 'New York to Block' in 'Nav Chart' format.

ErikT likes this.
  4. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Thank you for the insight, do you know when they stopped making them? In other words, how current do you think I may be able to find?

5. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    So long story short, in 2013 they stopped updating the chart data for the Classic charts; there was just too much data to fit onto the Nav Chart format. They would still burn them,but the data itself was never changed from that point on. So don't buy anything post '13 and expect current charts. Try to find something from 08 to 13 if possible if you're looking for more current data, but honestly there weren't any surveys done around here from 2000 to 2013, so the spot soundings will be the same, only differences would be markers that were relocated. That said, most of the channels didn't change up here, the only major changes were after Sandy and 90% of those were on the South Shore of the Island and Jersey, like Fire Island Inlet, etc. The Sound's tide was 4 hours behind the Atlantic's, and the wind shifted from easterly to northerly about 2 hours before high tide and basically stopped the surge from creeping up any further and limited the carnage. We got lucky. Staten Island, Brooklyn, Jersey got the worst of it and as a result those channels all shifted, but the Sound is pretty much the same around here, but I can really only speak for the WLIS from experience. Maybe anyone on here who's from Saybrook/Port Jeff and All Points East could shed some light on any major changes.

6. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Thank you for the details, is there a market for these units, maybe I should just try to sell lit and get a "backup" that is current?

7. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    The 952x is IMO one of the best plotters EVER made, and a lot of people agree; have a lot of clients who have a collection so they have backups as it's such an easy unit to use. It's you call though, your best bet if you do want to sell it is to list it in the classified section here. Also, check to see if it's a WAAS version or DGPS (on the back, on the serial number plate, it'll have a W or a D).

8. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Mine sold recently, complete kit (GPS, cover, bracket, power cable, antenna+cable, original manual plus LIS card) A1 condition.. $275 I think

ErikT likes this.
  9. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

pretty sure i have what you need

10. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

Have these two

Attached Files:

11. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Thank you for looking and the reply. Do you know how "near shore" the NA Canyons card will work? Looking for LI sound and Montauk

12. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

The canyon won t cover that area but the other one should. The other chart does not go all the way to the canyon. The canyon charts starts about 30 mile off

13. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    Appreciated, however I think I need to keep looking for a NY card.