Overheated

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by YankeeClipper, Jun 18, 2018.

1. YankeeClipper

YankeeClipper Member

Boat Make:
    32' Osmond Beal
    So. I took the plunge and purchased a '98 Osmond Beal. On one of its first voyages, engine temp ran to 220 for maybe 2-3 minutes. I shut it down. A blown hose was the cause. Coolant everywhere. After allowing it to cool, I put about a gallon of water in the system (cause thats all i had) and ran for 60 more seconds; temp went from 150 to 200. I shut it down. Got towed.

The engine never sounded funny, smoked, or sputtered.

A learning experience for me.

Here's where I stand.

Gallons of light red coolant pooled below the engine.

A gallon of water in the cooling system, that is otherwise empty.

The hose that blew was as it turns out a Goodyear 5/8 hose headed back to the water heater.

So my question is what should I do? Obviously change the hoses. I've tried to find the coolant I should be using, but I'm struggling. Should I empty the cooling system before filling. Should I change the oil. It had just been changed. Is there anything else I should do to make sure the engine is ok.

Or, should I just hire a good mechanic?

The engine is a 2007 Recon Cummins 5.9 BTA 370 HP. 400 hours.

Thanks for your help.

2. ARC

ARC Senior Member

Change hose, add coolant, go boating.

ARC,
  3. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    I see no need to change oil nor the 400 hr old hoses on the engine itself. Double check other hoses and replace hoses to water heater with name brand USA heater hose. If there is a gallon of water in there, add a gallon of straight AF then continue filling with 50-50 AF. You can use what Cummins recommends but they are all about the same, again name brands.

4. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    I'm with the guys, fix your hose and fill the system up with water, make sure you open any venting screws while filling, i have one ontop of my thermostat housing. Fill it up and run it, what your temp gauges, and get an hi temp alarm so you don't overheat next time.

5. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    Yankee,

I've owned five 6BTA 370s. Great motors. From your description it appears the engine didn't suffer and damage.

Refill with 50/50 pre mix...Prestone or NAPA, makes no matter...the 5.9 B series do not require special anti-freeze/water mixes....any 50/50 will do.
    When you get the hose/s changed out refill. Take you time filling, open the vent. After topping off , motor around the harbor with the vent open. The B's air/purge easily.

I'll suggest this. When you get the chance, maybe the next layup, I would go through the complete SWAC (salt water cooling system) starting with the Sherwood raw wayer pump impeller, service the after cooler, service the gear cooler and heat exchanger. Before you haul the boat end of season, get an accurate WOT with a photo tach. That will give ya the data to get the engine "propped right".

If you haven't begun reading already, get on to "Tony's Tips" on his Seaboard Marine website (all Cummins) and "read read read".:D

Cummins Marine Aftercooler Maintenance - Seaboard Marine

Keep us posted....we are all here to help.

Regards, Bill D

IfishHard718, powderpro and Dr Dude like this.
  6. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Consider adding shut off valves to the beginning of the water heater loop. If it happens again you can close off the valves and top with water to get back to port.

7. Kodiakan

Kodiakan Senior Member

You might also have 5/8's hoses to a cabin (Bus) heater. Look around the engine area and replace any 5/8 hoses you see. Shut offs are important. Add them as soon as you get a chance. Best of Luck..........

8. osprey47

osprey47 Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    BHM 36 w/ Yanmar 6LYA-STE
    Seems obvious, but did you have the engine surveyed before you bought the boat? Inspect all hoses for softness, drain the existing coolant, refill with premix (I like the Shell product) and yes install a temp alarm (Vetus makes one).

9. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    Trying to limp home with just 1 gallon of antifreeze, not a good idea.

A better idea join SeaTow, drop anchor have a beer and wait for your tow home.

Makes me wonder if in an emergency, could sea water be used in place of antifreeze? System would need a good flushing out ASAP probably with a mild acid?

TCL,