Parts and equipment haul

Discussion in 'Precision Marine Center- Diesel & Propulsion' started by Toolate, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Thruster installation guidelines: Cutting those big holes in the hull takes alot of courage, so you can begin by drinking plenty of that "Vokka". Next, grab that huge hole saw and just start cutting...........:shock: :eek: :D

2. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    I am not afraid to cut a hole in anything. The way I was raised- just go after it.

Its the putting all back together part that I have to sort out :D

3. Sailorgp

Sailorgp Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sisu 26
    Toolate, I had some photos...unfortunately can't seem to find them.
    To begin, the boat MUST be level port/starboard. You also (obviously) need good access inside the hull to work on the installation. I had to cut a way a portion of a bulkhead allowing me sufficient room to kneel in the bow while I installed the thruster. I later epoxied/screwed a piece of plywood over the area I had cut away.

First step is to figure out where you want the tube...the tube should be AT LEAST the diameter of the tube below the waterline. More if possible. Then drill a 3/8" hole in the center of where the tube will enter/exit the hull on one side only. Then get yourself a piece of straight 3/8" steel rod about four feet long with a point ground down on one end. Run the rod through the 3/8" drilled hole until it contacts the inside of the other side of the hull. Level the rod and position it front/rear so that it contacts the other side of the hull directly across from the original 3/8" hole. Mark and drill the second hole so that you will now have two 3/8" holes directly across the from one another in the hull.
    Next take the 3/8" rod and bend the pointed end into a 'U" shape "shepherds hook compass". The distance across the "U" is the radius of the tube hole you want to cut. Push the shepherds hook compass through the two 3/8" holes in the hull and turn the hook around the hole in order to scribe what will be an elliptical hole. Do this from both sides of the hull. I then drilled a bunch of small holes around the elliptical scribed lines to help guide the reciprocating saw around the hole when I made my cut. I made my shepherds hook compass slightly smaller than the final diameter which allowed me to do the final shaping with a 3" drum sander mounted in an electric drill.
    Using a bit of trial and error fitting, sand and shape the elliptical holes until the thruster tubel will slide through the hull from one side to the other.
    ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME SO FAR? ANYTHING NOT CLEAR?

4. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  5. Sailorgp

Sailorgp Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sisu 26
    BINGO!!!! Thank you Elmar

6. Sailorgp

Sailorgp Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sisu 26
    DEALING WITH A CORED HULL: you need to remove the inner hull glass laminations and balsa core by about 1" all around the tube holes by so that you'll be bonding the tube onto the outer laminations of the Sisu cored hull. I used a 4" grinder with 28 grit sanding discs to grind it all away. Next step is to slide the tube into the hull and start laminating. Fill the void left following core removal with silica thickened epoxy. You also need to form a radiused fillet of epoxy between the hull and tube that will accept wetted out cloth. I used 18oz cloth cut up into fairly small (4"x4"x4") triangular pieces and worked my way around the tube/hull joint until it was quite a thick layup. I put the triangular cuts of cloth on like it was a jigsaw puzzle butting them up to one another as I worked my say around the tube. I must've used about 8 or more layers of the cloth. I did the layup over a 2 day period allowing the successive layers to harden before applying more. The resin I used was Sytem Three Silvertip resin which is pretty good stuff to work with. I overbuilt it and that's the way I wanted it to be. Be careful not to get any resin on the area of the tube where the thruster gearbox will mount. I installed my tube so that the motor is vertical.
    After all the laminating is done you can then trim/sand any excess tube that might be sticking out the sides of the hull. I didn't radius my tube where it exits the hull even though it's suppose to be. When I put the boat in the water and started using the thruster....I couldn't believe how noisy it was. But I guess that's the way all thrusters are.
    The Sidepower supplied thruster tube seemed a little thin to me. Seems like it was right around 1/8" thick which I thought was a little flimsy. But when I went to make the initial rough cuts to shorten it a bit on a 14" bandsaw, it was very tough to cut and it wore out the band saw blade fairly quickly. It may seem thin but it's tough as hell to cut and quite strong.

I installed the SE40 model (5" tube)and it spins my 26' Sisu around in circles like I couldn't believe...even in the strongest cross winds

7. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Did you put a thruster on your dinghy?

8. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Sailorgp- great post and mostly what i was assuming I would set out to do except I want to clarify one thing you said. After cutting my holes so the tube fits well in the outside skin, I think you suggested removing the inner skin for an additional inch or so around the tube to later be filled with thickened epoxy.

Did you glass the outside to the hull using the squares of 18oz cloth, then fill/fillet the inside and then use the same squares on the inside of the boat?

Everything I have read suggest doing so and adding stiffeners to the tube if the span is over mfgrs specs.

My plan is currently to make sure the thickness of any glass work I do is well beyond the original layup thickness so it can be stronger than what was there.

I am going to leave a lip in front of the hole as well so the tube will be cut closer to square than faired to the hull. Again all from mfgrs specs.

Sorry for the delayed response- had to ski and drink in VT for 4 days :D

9. Sailorgp

Sailorgp Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sisu 26
    I didn't do any laminating on the outside of the hull. I just pushed thickened epoxy all around the tube/hull gap making sure the thickened epoxy oozed out real well to insure a solid bond. I did all my laminating from the inside. It appears I removed more inner laminate and balsa (more than 1") than I remembered when I wrote my first post. If you look closely at the photos you can see where I cut back the inner laminate and core. There's an outline of the "cut back" area still showing in the hull. I further jogged my memory and now remember that I didn't use a tremendous amount of thickened epoxy in the are of the removed core. I started laminating the 18 oz cloth right onto the outer hull laminate and built the voided area back up using many layers of cloth. The total thickness of the Sisu hull at the point of tube installation is about 1". The outer laminate is about 1/4". Therefore, I laminated enough layers of cloth/resin to build back the 3/4" I removed. I hope all this makes sense.

Thruster 001.jpg

Thruster.jpg

Thruster 002.jpg

Thruster 005.jpg

July12 007.jpg

10. Sailorgp

Sailorgp Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sisu 26
    Skiing, drinking AND the hot pool at the ski lodge

My two sons and I two weeks ago in northern Michigan...must have been 10 degrees that day. Going again this coming weekend.
    boynepool.jpg

11. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Great pictures (of the tube- haha). The ski/drink/hot tub combo is one of the best!

I appreciate the help here. I will have to fair/tab mine to the outside alittle since I plan to leave the eyebrow in front of it though. Paint makes it all look nice too.

Thanks.

12. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Took down another load of gear today from the boys at Precision- great crew there and they are busy as hell but still got me what I needed in time for the weekend. Try them out for something- great expertise on more than just electronics- they are a full service yard.

This load:
    Mufflers
    Exh hose
    clamps
    fiberglass pipe
    bunch of fittings
    sinks and faucets
    drains for shower/sinks
    sanitary hose
    ancchor
    bow roller for new sprit I am making
    bunch of caulk
    vent hose
    vents
    electric panel
    rod holders
    deck fills x4

Just a couple things to keep me busy..

Pricing just cant be beat. Try them out and you will see. Thanks Chris (wharfrat)! See you next week man!

13. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    Have made a couple trips since the last post but thought I would just say again how great these guys are- Great parts dept too, Ed is a parts guy too- not just a "part #" guy- he really know his stuff and works hard to find solutions.

Had them make all the larger wires I need for the boat and they cam out great. Very neat, colors correct, nice heat shrinked ends- just perfect. Also picked up a 4 way fuel valve, some speakers for the cockpit, bunch of plumbing items- a little of everything.

Thanks Chris! I am sure I will be back after you next week :rolleyes: