Pearson Coastal 27 or Coastal 27

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat Builders (25 Ft+)' started by Christopher Packard, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Christopher Packard

Christopher Packard New Member

I've found a Coastal 27 for sale and am trying to learn more about it. I believe it was built by Pearson, sold as a Coastal 27 by Coastal Yachts, Pembroke, MA and it appears later as the Pearson Coastal 27. I'm looking information like designer, who made the molds, did any other boats come off the molds in longer or shorter versions, etc. Thanks for any help you can provide.

doug hill likes this.
  2. CaptShip

CaptShip Member

Retired and it's a hard job . . .
    Boat Make:
    Coastal 24
    Coastal was formed by 2 guys who had come from Cape Dory Yachts back in 1986, a Dave E Perry and a Harry Uvala . They bought the molds from Nauset and were going to have Pearson Yachts in R.I. build them for Coastal , something happened and Pearson pushed back the start time about 6 months so Nauset built the first 24 and 3 27's. I understand the designer was Royal Lowell, attached is an original Coastal brochure. Dave at Nauset was very helpful with info.

20181009_0016.jpg

doug hill, Keelboater and Bill like this.
  3. CaptShip

CaptShip Member

Retired and it's a hard job . . .
    Boat Make:
    Coastal 24
    certain the 24 was Royal Lowell design the others am not sure - I have a 24 - search the forum and you'll find more info

doug hill likes this.
  4. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Yes, the Coastal 27 is the same mold as the Nauset 27 and was designed by Royal Lowell. Not to be confused with the Nauset 28 which is a different animal all together. Nauset made quite a few of the 27's and if you do a search on the forum can probably find out about all of the handling characteristics. Tripp was making the 27 after Coastal closed up shop with Pearson but I don't think they made many of these.

doug hill and CaptShip like this.
  5. skyeboat

skyeboat Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Coastal 27
    I own a Coastal 27 made at Pearson in 1987. There was a small "production line " going at some point, but not many were built. Dave Perry was involved in most of these, and sold my boat to me a few years ago. He is at Robin Hood Marine in ME

doug hill likes this.
  6. Christopher Packard

Christopher Packard New Member

Thanks for all the replies to my Coastal 27 inquiry. Will the reported handling issues be a problem as I don't intend to venture more than about a half mile offshore along the New England coast--mostly Downeast Maine?

7. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I don't think it will have any negative impact on your use. Unless you go surfing inlets you shouldn't notice it much. The important thing is to get a sea trial and put the boat through it's paces so you know first hand how it rides. You have to be happy before making a deal. I met a commercial fisherman who was on his second 27 Nauset. When I asked him about the ride, he laughed and said that he never would have purchased another Nauset 27 if the first one was such a handling nightmare, and he goes out in all sorts of weather.

doug hill likes this.
  8. EastPete

EastPete Member

I have a coastal 29 that we got mid season last summer. This was our first full season with the boat. I really enjoy it. Awesome in a head sea. I was going to start a post here asking about tips for handling a DE in following/quartering seas but I don't get on the computer much so didn't want to start a conversation I couldn't respond to! Got a couple of good shoulder workouts coming back though Salem Sound this summer trying to keep a straight course in a following sea or while surfing constant wakes of other boats heading in. This is my first DE so I don't have a lot of experience to compare this boat to. For a family station wagon its perfect and I couldn't be happier! Guy I bought it from had it for 7-8 years and ran out 20-30 miles regularly for tuna fishing.
    fa1.png

joefish likes this.