1. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    I have a 24 x21 prop on a 13/4 shaft if I went to a 24x24 what effect should that have ...... THANKS

2. mudhake

mudhake Captain

at least a 300rpm loss, depending where you are now on the correct rpm scale.

3. ulf75

ulf75 Senior Member

Boat Make:
    37' Repco (project)
    I have a 24x25 or 26 4 blade nibral, Left hand, 1"3/4 shaft NIB

Bought for a project, wound up going w different motor

If your interested

-Scott

4. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    iveco 270 hp 35 Bruno extended keel looking for more speed ........... so going to a24x 24 will bring 2900 rpm wide open down to 2600 it will make me slower ?

5. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    what should I go to for more speed ?

6. Genius

Genius Captain

You should be thinking about engine health, more than speed. If you are at the upper end of of your engine HP at WOT, getting a prop with longer legs will not do anything for you but cost you money in engine repairs/life.

Best to run your numbers through a prop calculator or find someone who has a similar set up to compare (even then, its not the same). If you play around with props you may figure out where you are with engine loading.

Tautog18 likes this.
  7. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    What should be wide open throttle rpms be?

8. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    wide open in neutral is 2900 ....2950

9. Genius

Genius Captain

I have no idea about isuzu engines, not familiar with them, need a model number. I believe it was meant as isuzu not iveco.

10. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    iveco 270 hp I get 20 knots wide open clean bottom run at about 2200 15, 16 knots with pulpit and crows nest on

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  11. Genius

Genius Captain

my bad. What's your WOT RPM, in gear.

12. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    2900 ..........2950

13. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    If you are running at the engine makers specified RPM at WOT with existing prop, and if existing prop has been checked & tuned; going for more pitch or diameter will just overload your engine. Going from 4 to 3 blades often results in slightly more speed IF the 3 blade has proper blade area to prevent cavitation. If not, you will loose speed. Occasionally a different brand or style propeller will produce slightly more speed.
    Maybe shed some weight first as Bruno's are not the best weight carriers also have your tach checked to be sure what you are saying is actually true.
    Finally, an unmodified 35 can really only handle a 22" prop as a 24 does not have enough clearance either above or below. I have always run a 22" on mine and picked up a full knot by dropping my skeg bar and shaft years ago, giving it proper room to work, fairing the deadwood didn't hurt either but I can't remember how much...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  14. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    I modified it extended keel by about 6 or7 " shaft tube, dropped shaft,, longer rutter ,fairing some that's how I got to The 24 ....I could have a little capitation now looking at prop but not sure

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  15. Genius

Genius Captain

so....like I said, I don't know the engine (or model #). But, if you are 2900-2950 in neutral (governor) and also hitting governor set point in gear and the specs for the engine support that, you may have some room to increase pitch. If you have the gear ratio, water line length and displacement I can run a prop calculator?

16. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    thank you , I don't know the displacement though , I had it figured when I put that motor in 4 yrs ago , and that's how I ended up with that 24 x21 ......

17. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

The most important factors are what is the engine supposed to reach at wot? and what is your gear ratio? Then what are you achieving with the existing prop which appears to be 2950rpm. Given all of that info you can be strafed in the right direction

18. Numasahake

Numasahake Captain

Retired, dammit
    Boat Make:
    Dodge Stationwagon
    Why don't you install a pyrometer in the exhaust manifold. Then you can monitor EGT's. As long as EGT's don't go too high at wot, you'll be fine with the bigger prop. Heck, I run a pyrometer in my 17 hp Lombardic Diesel powered Arctic Cat 700 ATV. I'm sure I'm the only one in the universe to have done that...

eyecatcher likes this.
  19. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    Hey Guys,

Really sorry I missed this thread, I have it set up so I get an email for the electronics posts, but not this one apparently. That said, it looks like you guys have already taken it to another level, and I'll be totally honest that this sht is WAY over my head, and my boss aka 'Greg Diesel' on the forum (although I don't think he knows how to post or has the time) is still in Islamorada fishing as we get the whole month of Feb. off for VaCa. We're back in the office on Monday, he's most likely going to have a pile of work to do but I'll fill him in and see if he as anything worth contributing. I will say I have actually learned a bit from this thread in particular, but I know that under/over propping is beyond any kind of exact science, but it's good to know once again the DEBF crew has it covered. Talk to you guys soon, I'm actually itching to get back to work, although by Monday afternoon I will regret even thinking that.

20. chasintail

chasintail Senior Member

Boat Make:
    bruno35'
    IF I GO FROM A 24 X 21 TO A 24 1/2 X 26 WHAT EFFECT WILL IT HAVE ? MORE SPEED OR MORE TORQUE ? THANK YOU