Pros And Cons-Holland 32 VS. 29 H&H

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Frank, Nov 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ms.Aimee

Ms.Aimee Senior Member

There was a 30’ calvin beal set up for lobster for sale, not sure if it sold yet.

2. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Thanks Ms.Aimee. For once in my life I want to have a totally new boat with no mechanical, fiberglass work, holes to fill or other issues. I want a blank slate that I can customize into my taste.

Keelboater likes this.
  3. BHC.com

BHC.com Member

I think the 32 Holland is one of the best looking Downeast boats BUT the only way to have a decent size cockpit is a tiny wheelhouse because the front trunk is so long

Frank likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    You are 100% correct. That's why I'm opting for a windshield, top and no side panels.

5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    We are going to be putting a 6.0 Crusader in a 30 Lowell (wooden) over the winter. I can give you some pricing if you like.

Frank likes this.
  6. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Sure!

7. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I will PM you tomorrow.

8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Great Jerry. Thanks!

9. Captinlon

Captinlon Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    When I was looking for my boat, I looked at a lot. I found a 32 H & H and very happy with her. I looked at the bhm, the 32 Holland and the H & H. I was able to see all 3 boat up on the hard almost side by side. The narrowest of the 3 was the Holland and the larger was the bhm. There's one moored out in front of my house and seems to rock a bit more than the h & h and going by her I'm glad I went with the H & H. The H & H is a much bigger boat. I have a 265 deere in her and she is very easy on the wallet and happy with her speed. If your every in Cundy's Harbor, be happy to take you out in the Spring, give you a feel for her.

Tunatown and Frank like this.
  10. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Just the information I was looking for. So hard to find a side by side comparison and you even got a BHM in the mix. I'm not really worried about speed, 14 knot cruse would be great, but stability is a must. I bought a 30' Sisu back in the mid eighties from a construction company that I spent count less hours rebuilding. She was slow and rolled at the hint of a ripple on the water. I don't want to play that game again so stability is a must. I love the salty looks of the Holland but I'm leaning toward the H&H for practicality. I fish mostly rips so excessive rolling is out. Thank you!

11. Aotea

Aotea Member

Currently the most beautiful boat on the forum, at least for me.

Frank likes this.
  12. Aotea

Aotea Member

I'm learning a lot here as a new member to the forum. And I really enjoy the threads, extremely so. The knowledge and expertise here is above and beyond, especially in the real, heavy duty, hard core things that matter. Like fiberglass and diesel. But I have a big concern about 'Viking funerals'. Our fellow member Frank, who is coming up on 67, is looking to buy/build a beautiful new boat, maybe a Holland, maybe an H&H. But a lot of advice to Frank is about the 'hereafter', i.e., what he has to do for people who may buy the boat in the future. Well, I am 69, coming up on 70, and I am trying to decide whether to rebuild and restore a relic Beals-Jonesporter or build a beautiful new Beals-type, like Doug Hylan's magical D'Anna, in wood, carvel plank, not cold molded. Myself. In my barn in Georgia. I do not plan to have a Viking funeral in my boat, if I get to build her. I don't think Frank is planning that either. I'm posting in a fun and friendly way, but my point is, each of us has to decide what to build and then build for today, for ourselves, and what fits us and makes us happy. After all, that's all that matters.

Frank, Blitzen, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  13. Henry

Henry Senior Member

None!
    Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    Well said! I bought a Duffy 31 at age 70 this past spring and it is perfect for my needs. I hopt to get at least 10 years pleasure out of her and if I am lucky maybe a few more. Build/buy what makes you feel proud and enjoy the hell out of her. Don’t worry about what anybody else thinks.

pointblank1, Frank and Aotea like this.
  14. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Well said! I bought a Duffy 31 at age 70 this past spring and it is perfect for my needs. I hopt to get at least 10 years pleasure out of her and if I am lucky maybe a few more. Build/buy what makes you feel proud and enjoy the hell out of her. Don’t worry about what anybody else thinks.

Both you guys are right on. I plan on building exactly what I want and I'm not worried about the next guy. The boat will be built turn key and all I'll have to do is install my electronics and rod holders. I'm extremely meticulous and like to do certain things myself. If my fishfinder, GPS radar etc. are mounted a few degrees off from direct view from the helm I would fixate on that all day. Measure twice cut once? I'm more like measure a dozen times before pulling the trigger.
    I'm not against overbuilding a bit to accommodate a diesel down the road as this would also benefit the strength of the boat. As far as a Viking Funeral that was said in jest. I could never do that to my boats. Glad to see some other older guys on the forum. I thought it was just me and Old Mud.

Aotea likes this.
  15. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    I'm building a one way raft for the Viking funeral. Too much hard work is going into the Bruno, and I hope to get many years out of it before the time comes for me to take the raft out to sea .........along with a few gallons of rum. ;)

ErikT, Frank, Aotea and 1 other person like this.
  16. Aotea

Aotea Member

Frank, if I didn't build or restore a wooden lobster boat I would choose a Holland 32. Nothing to me looks nicer in the water. And there's no prejudice at Holland Boat Yard against gas, I'm sure. It's just a beautiful hull. MikesMarine 22 (post above) is the latest Holland 32 I love. AugustWind32, a fellow forum member's contemporary Holland 32, is a modern classic. I imagine you like plain and simple, but the blending of contemporary stainless hardware and fittings, bright white topsides, dark hulls, and the classic Holland hull is magic, too. You are focused on two hulls, as you pointed out. But MsAimee (above) mentioned a Calvin Beal 30. I also like the 34 Calvin Beal. If building new, I would compare my Holland 32 against them. For what it's worth.

Frank likes this.
  17. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    Frank,
    Have you spent a day on the sea in lousy weather on either the 29 H&H or the 32 Holland ?
    Best to test drive/ride both.:)

At the very least get on each hull, cruise 18-19 knots on both sitting at the helm.
    Find out before you take the plunge on either that you'll be able to see where you are going. :D

ErikT and Frank like this.
  18. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Thanks Aotea. In my home we have all stainless appliances and my tool chests are stainless. I'm a sucker for stainless steal and would have the boat fully dressed in that high quality bling. I'm leaning toward a red hull even though this will cause a lot of buffer time to keep it in pristine condition. I've had blue hulls before so I know the work involved. If it's a Holland it will be similar to Bill's Bimbo in looks. I've spoken to Glen Holland and as you said he is big on gasoline and would love to build me a gasser. I was going to do aluminum frame windows and he suggested doing his square wood frame style but in starboard which I thought was a great idea. The people at Holland and H&H are both great to talk to.

19. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    I could not agree more. I have a 29' H&H three towns away from me in Old Saybrook that I have been lurking for several years now. I never have the luck of running into the owner. As far as Hollands go they are scarce in my area. The only one I know is a 38' in Westbrook. I will ride before laying out the cash.

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Just some eye candy:

Attached Files: