Quahog dragging with outboard boat

Discussion in '"Pocket" Downeast Boats (14-24ft)' started by NausetBruno, Mar 13, 2018.

1. NausetBruno

NausetBruno Member

Has anyone here ever done this? I have a big 21 novi skiff that I’ve scalloped with but everyone says it’s a waste of time quahoging with a outboard boat. I don’t know anyone who’s actually tried it however it’s just what they have heard. Anyone?

2. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Dragging for scallops is going to be very different than going for clams. Clams are in the bottom and I would think that the small diameter of the outboard prop is going to work against you. Unless you have a very small clam dredge. Slow speed with a large diameter prop and lots of torque is what you need to pull a clam dredge of any size. It will be a fine line with an outboard being able to pull the dredge and not bury the thing or pop it out of the bottom.

Old Mud likes this.
  3. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    All true !!. There is all the difference dragging a scallop drag and dragging a quahog drag. Scallop drags have foot chains that float/skim across the bottom. A quahog drag has to have teeth to dig it out. Much more HP/Tourq required.

4. NausetBruno

NausetBruno Member

Thanks for your reply’s guys. I’m very familiar with both scalloping and clamming I understand there is a lot more torque involved. I’d be looking for a small setup that I can launch and haul on a trailer is my main thing. Since I lobster mainly with my other boat I just want a small quahoger to go part time. Right now I have a good boat but don’t want to invest in the outboard setup if it’s pointless which is why I’m just curious if anyone’s tried it

5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    Back in the day I had some interest in pulling a dredge. I found a few small ones for sale that people had tried and gave up for a variety of reasons.

6. Parttime

Parttime Senior Member

I've attached some pictures of a 21' Carolina Skiff set up for dredging oysters. The scrape is about 24". (sorry I don't have a better picture of it).
    It is let over the side and dragged. A hydraulic winch is used to pull it back on the boat. The type of bottom will greatly effect the pressure on the boat.

Attached Files:

david and restless like this.
  7. catslr3

catslr3 Member

Nauset,

Heres a picture of an oyster boat from a farm I used to work at. Never had issues pulling the smaller dredge with a 50 hp outboard but I'm sure if you're trying to cut deeper in the bottom you may need more power. The larger boats have hydraulic dredges for clams.

Blitzen do you have any pictures of these smaller dredges? All I can seem to find are the large hydraulic types.

Attached Files:

El Mar likes this.
  8. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Similar stuff.

Oyster Dredge

9. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    I don't have any pictures, it was a long time ago. They were basically modified bull rake heads with adjustable skids on either side of the head which would help keep the dredge from digging too far into the bottom.