Radar mounting options

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Fishonnelsons, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Senior Member

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    35 ft T.Jason
    Hopefully will buy this boat in the next few weeks, have to add radar. Adding to what's their already, so linking in a Garmin Fantom dome. Trying to decide how best to mount, looking for any ideas, pics, etc.

1. Don't want to mount it in front of the bridge, I want to see what's around me 360 degrees.
    2. Some sort of post, mounted toward rear of bridge, higher than the canvas, angled slightly toward the stern. I think the post might look to wierd, as it has to be pretty tall. Also, radar beams hitting the back of my head.
    3. Atlantic towers radar arch, mounted over the canvas and on the sides of the bridge, with hardware that allows it to fold down aft for bridges or over the road transport. I think this would look good, and give an unobstructed radar beam. Most expensive option though.

Attached Files:

2. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Member

Boat Make:
    Cape Dory 28 FB
    IMG_8251.JPG

Genius likes this.
  3. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Member

Boat Make:
    Cape Dory 28 FB
    I had same challenge. When I bought the boat it had a HUGE furuno dome mounted in front of the flybridge. The boat also had a mast that was used for stay sail but wasnt high enough to hold radar arch above the bimini. I raised the mast by building a aluminum cabinet for it to sit on. The cabinet is covered / 3/4" teak. Inside I keep flairs and a fire extinguisher. I have a Garmin 18" xHD with a 1040xs. Have to say the radar overlay is awesome. Comparable to a Simrad 4G for close in targets. I can see a channel marker 20' off my beam. I have my anchor light on top of the mast and LED deck light mounted on the mast as well. If needed, I could lower mast (aft) as it is mounted with a pin that allows it to pivot.

4. Fishonnelsons

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    35 ft T.Jason
    Thanks, you answered my question with the pivot explanation for laying it down. You get symmetry with the mast and the two antennas, looks good. Do you have a side pic per chance?

This was on her, minus the actual radar, when she was built, hydraulic lines raised and lowered the mast, owner took it off, sold it, put on the awning.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Member

Boat Make:
    Cape Dory 28 FB
    IMG_0309.JPG Wow, That looked nice and pretty stout! I cant find any side view pics with the dome on. Here is one without the dome but after I raised height of the mast.

6. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Member

Boat Make:
    Cape Dory 28 FB
    IMG_7018.JPG Here's another pic with standard 18" HD dome. My VHF antenna's tilt a little forward. The p/o mounted them right in the middle so they either point a little fwd or a little aft depending on where you set the mounting ratchet. Drives me nuts but not enough to deal with it. I mounted a remote spot on the old radar dome mount on the front of the flybridge.

7. Fishonnelsons

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    35 ft T.Jason
    Do you know how far up the mast the radar dome is from the bridge floor? I am thinking I would need at least 84 inches, as I am 74 inches tall.

8. onion

onion Member

I have a hard top off a 35 Nauset if that works for you instead of a radar post

Gurryman likes this.
  9. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Member

Boat Make:
    Cape Dory 28 FB
    I will measure it when I get down to the boat today/tomorrow. I'm actually removing the mast this off-season so I can bring teak deck box home to re-varnish. I set the radar mount so its not only above my head, but a little above the bimini so I can raise/lower bimini without hitting radar or mount. I also didnt want the bimini frame to interfere with the radar performance.

10. Fishonnelsons

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    35 ft T.Jason
    Interesting, got any pics? Although I store the boat for winter at a friends place for free, well, a few bottles, so I bring it over the road for 8 miles. If she's too high, then I would have to go to a marina for haul out, storage etc. But, it's worth a look!
    Thanks

11. onion

onion Member

Give me a call I will send you some pics 774 353 7683

12. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

Edson makes a radar mast with all the hard ware.
    I had one on a bridge boat that had a soft top, I used it for years without an issue.
    I gave it to a friend when I put a hard top on the boat.
    He had it for a few years until he lost power and sheered it off when the current swept him under a bridge.
    Turned out a loose wire in the halon system shut down the engines and he didn't realize what it was with the alarms going off, low light, and quickly approaching bridge. He realized it after the smashing, crunching and ripping noises going under the bridge. He hit the bypass and returned to the dock without further incident.

RT46,
    Fishonnelsons likes this.
  13. Fishonnelsons

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    35 ft T.Jason
    Thanks, I hadn't seen these yet. Just the Scanstrut and Seaview ones