Really stupid question - steering in reverse

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by nick5446, Jun 22, 2018.

1. restless

restless Captain

The only "stupid" question is the one you don't ask.

IfishHard718 likes this.
  2. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    I sea trialed a 27 H&H a few weeks back. Was fairly calm...incoming tide...The 27 back up left or right and would complete a wide circle....go figure ???

My 25 T Jason will back up left to right but not like the 27 H&H does.

3. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Was that the one at KPYY

4. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Nick, ask away. This thread is just another example of what a great, supportive bunch of boaters are on this forum, unlike (the one that won’t be mentioned) ha..

Just like others have mentioned every boat handles a little differently. Knowing what it does and doesn't do is half the battle.

5. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    yes.......sold a couple weeks ago

6. AW_Holland32

AW_Holland32 Senior Member

IfishHard718 likes this.
  7. nick5446

nick5446 Member

Thanks all! This is super helpful and makes me a feel a lot better.

And yeah, Qualified Captain is one of my favorite things on the internet!

8. slowzuki

slowzuki Member

Boat Make:
    Rosborough RF-18
    I recall we were out in an early model Rosborough 246 with the deep keel and twin outboards, I had not even thought about how the boat would react while turning on a plane vs a normal v-hull with o/b's. Just about crapped myself when we cranked a good turn and it leaned over hard to the outside. Just a rookie.

9. MBILL

MBILL Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy&Duffy
    My ride (35 Duffy) steers pretty well when moving astern. I've run many other D/E boats that will only go straight or in one direction.
    I've always attributed this characteristic to rudder size but that's just my opinion.

The important thing is to know your boat and your docking situation. All I need to dock is a springline to a midship cleat and all is well, the rest is easy.
    It never fails that whenever I dock there's someone trying to help by passing us the stern lines first. We just go through our routine and smile at the helpers until we're ready for the lines.

10. Providerrrick

Providerrrick Member

Boat Make:
    32' BHM
    Anticipate what the wind and tide will do to your boat in the time you think it will take to get against your dock. They can be a great asset or a royal PITA

11. steve harris

steve harris New Member

I'm a newbie with a Shamrock 220 Predator, I am having the same issues and this post has helped me know I need to use my Boat more! I was feeling anxious about my ability and even searched out an easier slip that is parallel with the current. The Merrimack River is a tough place for learning the nuances of a keel boat. Thank you everyone for the help.

12. Snake8

Snake8 Member

Second on the back and fill. That is how we turn barges in tight spaces with current and wind. Essentially use forward momentum to get your backing direction. When I was teaching my kids to dock we found a dock in the middle of the harbor and we would land over and over and over. As with anything more repititions will gain you skill and confidence.

13. IfishHard718

IfishHard718 Member

14. AW_Holland32

15. LMcF

LMcF Member

Boat Make:
    Duffy 31
    I can turn my Duffy 31 on a dime but it took getting used to. I just leave the throttle at idle, put the wheel over the way I want the bow to go, start by going forward, then kick into reverse. Forward makes the boat start the turn. Then it just keeps turning when I put it in reverse. I just leave the wheel over, never touch it. I can spin on a dime. If I have to go back a long way, I just go until she wanders and then kick forward to get the alignment right then back again. I was nervous about not being able to steer in reverse but once I got over that, this is really easy. I guess every Hull is different but I think my experi nice is fairly common

LMcF,
  16. AW_Holland32

Kinda in the vain of this thread, here’s tricky docking situation I was recently faced with a few times. You’re approaching a harbor your not super familiar with on your single screw Downeaster with your fancy delicate paint job, its tight, there are strong funky currents, and your told to take a transient slip stern in no piers, just two pylons. The locals have their lines on the pylons waiting for them but you’ve got nothing. Your lady is the only other pair of hands on the boat and, although great and helpful she a) doesn’t like to be yelled at b) only has 2 hands c) can only do one thing at a time (reasonable stuff). You’re trying to be methodical and smart about the whole thing and avoid any crazy jumps or lasso attempts. What’s the first move? In hindsight I wish I just approached nice and easy with my bow and let her set up a line on each pylon then backed in when I had he proper setup in place. Instead we pulled in and then rigged up all the spring and bow lines while fending, fighting the current, and worst of all bickering.. amature hour...

17. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    To some degree I would say the marina’s fault for not helping. We have dock staff kids to help people tie up. I find a great piece of mind when I am bringing in a customers boat and they help bring me in even with my experience level (not trying to brag, I have been doing this a while). Also our transient slip is the outer most face dock.

18. AW_Holland32

Yeah in this case they had a nice kid on the dock but he was pretty green and with the pressure of him ushering me in I should have taken a moment to make a plan and rig up a line on the pylon with the boat in a more controllable position. All ended fine but the stress and heat combined for a uncomfortable moment.

19. ErikT

ErikT Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Crowley Beal 28
    I can hear by father saying this to me 30 years ago... eventually he was right!

20. Pete H

Pete H Member

Non-Commercial Lobsterman (OK, Software Developer)
    Boat Make:
    Rosborough RF-246