Rebates Ending in May/June '17 That Are Actually Worth A Look..

Discussion in 'Precision Marine Center- Discount Electronics' started by Wharf Rat, May 17, 2017.

1. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    I'm not a rebate guy, in fact I hate them for the most part. I never send them in for stuff I buy, but there's a few factory rebates that are good for the next two weeks or so that are decent enough to share.

#1: Icom - Right now they're offering $100 rebates on any of the M506 models, plus some rebates on other units. The M506 has been our go to for the past two years, specifically because they are NMEA2000 compatible, but more importantly because two of the versions have a built in AIS receiver. For anyone who's unfamiliar, AIS is an Automatic Identification, and a ton of boats (specifically certain commercial boats; fishing, ferries, etc.) are required to carry transceivers following last years USCG mandate. Also, a ton of recreational boats, especially sail boats and cruising power rig transceivers just as a safety option. AIS transmits the boat's name, course, position, speed, etc. That data is used by a receiver to not only track these targets on the radio and allow for alarms for dangerous CPAs, but you can also feed that data to any NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 MFD, radar, plotter, etc. Most displays (almost all MFDs plus stand alone radars built in the last 15 years are able to be fed AIS. That said, you're able to not only see all those targets on the display, but the radio displays the boats and their names in order of proximity, so not only are you allowed to see them, but you're able to pick the boat name from the radio and directly connect with them via DSC like a NexTel, and your boat name shows up on their radio with your boat name with a nice alarm that can only be silenced by them acknowledging by hitting the PTT button. No need to hail anyone on 13, 9, or 16 for anyone who likes to really piss of the local USCG sector. Keep in mind, these radios are designed to RECEIVE only; you won't be giving out your position. A lot of guys here use them to track the position of the head boats/party fishing boats, etc. as they all have transmitters, and for anyone in the LIS or Block Island Sound, it's great to keep track of all the ferries and commercial traffic. Normally to buy even just an AIS receiver alone, you need to spend $300 to $500 for the receiver, another $300 for the AIS-VHF antenna splitter, plus the labor to integrate. I can see no reason why anyone wouldn't want one of these. And with Icom's pricing, the rebate is literally like 20% of even their most expensive model. Worth taking a look, rebate ends June 30th.
    M506 VHF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America
    Marine Spring Savings - Icom Marine Radio Coupons - Icom America

#2. Furuno is giving $500 rebates a piece on their TZT2s, both the 12 and the 15.6''. $300 rebates for their TZT9/TZT14 and TZT14s, but the TZT2 rebates are hefty enough to mention, especially for the 12''. With their MCU004 control, we've actually been pretty happy with the TZT2s. That mentioned, I HIGHLY recommend adding the MCU004 remote controller, as I fucking HATE full touchscreen units, but with the remote running off USB, no issues with some of the NMEA2000 controllers out there that need dedicated network voltage and proper resistance, etc. Also there are some rebates for their CHIRP sounder and Doppler Radar (which is fucking AMAZING), but the big chunk is the displays. Don't think I need to go into a big tangent on this one, it pretty much speaks for itself.
    http://www.furunousa.com/GlobalGallery/CC Documents/2017 BIG ONE Rebate Form.pdf

Also here's a pic to show you what the hell I'm talking about with the AIS targets onscreen. Check out the little blue triangles.
    [​IMG]
    I'll add some more, but I am starving and going to head over to the Piper's Kilt for the greatest bacon chili burger ever created. Although I am tempted to go to Johnny's Pizza, where if you ask for a 'slice' you literally get kicked out and cursed at the whole time. Still totally worth it, even though I recommend NEVER asking 'what's taking so long' as the old man with the towel around his head will tear you open, and give the pie to whoever raises their hand first. I've been the beneficiary of this a few times, so now that I think about, go right ahead and ask what's taking so long, just make sure I'm there waiting.
    Welcome
    http://www.johnnys1942.com/

CEShawn, OLD BAY and Prdlobster like this.
  2. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    For coronary heart disease and hypertension, we go to Johnny's Reef on CI. The best pizza is Pelham Pizza on 5th ave.
    might stop by..

3. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Thanks Chris. Love the Icom VHF. As you know, besides LI Sound, we often cruise down the E. River around the Greatest City in the World.
    It will really fun and safe to be able to track the ships and see their info on the Simrad.
    We plan on doubling Staten Island sometime. Should be interesting.
    Cheers