Screw Hole Repair

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by BillD, Jan 12, 2013.

1. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    Hello guys,

I am "clueless" about filling, sanding and buffing screw holes. Haven't done any finished work like this. Hoping you guys can help me out here.
    Two years ago I had a local fiberglass/gel coat/paint guy get on board and repair and re gel coat over 100 odd and end screw/snap/button holes.

He finished about 97% of them.

In the pics I have three holes on the underneath side of the overhead electronics box. He filled them with "something", epoxy putty whatever.

The holes filled are small in diameter. I want to sand and smooth the excess and then buff out. The color will be off but that's OK. I have a handrail going there.

OK,

How do I finish the repair job?? Nothing fancy.

Appreciated, Bill D

Attached Files:

2. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    I would tape off the area around it so you don't scratch the good gelcoat, then make yourself an appropriate sized block, probably about 1" or so.

After that, wetsand it down with 220, then 320, then 400 till you are satisfied.

If you are covering this with a rail, the 220 will probably be enough.

3. starrfish

starrfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35 duffy
    looks like hull and deck putty, but could be anything else, if it is, its harder than woodpecker lips.. sanding will be tough, can be done though.. just time and elbow grease.
    as el mar stated, sand to a finish you like (i still would gelcoat over with similar color)

4. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power
    Thanks, I'll get right on it !!:)

5. backman

backman Captain

Boat Make:
    Northern Bay 36
    I am planning on moving some outriggers this spring as well as removing a swim platform.

I've seen yards in the past mix gel coat into MarineTex or some other putty and come up with an almost invisible patch. Is there a proper proportion and trick to doing that?

6. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    You probably saw them mix cabosil or fumed silica into gelcoat which creates a paste, Marine Tex is Epoxy based.

Trick to gelcoat repair is getting the correct gelcoat to match.