SERPENTINE BELT

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by archsea bunker, Jun 30, 2018.

1. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Member

So I done a little maintence work or I should say my mechanic did to my 6BTA which included a new front crank shaft seal , couple of new engin mounts and a general going over for the season, also replaced the pully belt tensioner and while doing that installed a new belt from cummins to replace the one on there which was after market but 3 years old. Boat ran like a dream till today, about 10 hrs on motor since work was done I was leaving the fuel dock and all of a sudden could hear the racket from the front cowling, Took cowling off and belt was shredded not broken but badly shredded, Lucky I had a spare after market one on board. Checked all pulleys and edges all good no wobbling. What would cause the belt to fail? Could the new pully tensioner be adjusted to tight or is there adjustment on the unit. Thoughts and Opinions Thanks.

2. snowstorm

snowstorm Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 ellis
    i had a 671 years ago that did that. it would break 3 v belts at once. it was the viscose damper on the crank. i have a 3.9 that tensioner jumps up an down but has never broken a belt. look at all the idlers water pump and alt

3. Fishinengineer

Fishinengineer Senior Member

Retired Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Duffy
    New tensioner could be out of alignment