Simrad R2009/4G package

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by dirwood, Jun 19, 2018.

1. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    30ft South Shore, 220hp cummins
    Just curious if anyone is running the Simrad R2009 stand alone radar and what their thoughts are? Any pro's or con's of standalone versus MFD for radar aside from the obvious of not having gps/plotter? I am replacing a Garmin 4210 MFD and 24" radar and was leaning towards a 4G with either a 9" EVO 2 or EVO 3 MFD but just learned about the R2009 and it seems to be a nice machine just have not heard much about them locally. Already got one EVO 2 on the boat and love it, the combination of real knobs plus having a touch screen is awesome, the touchscreen keyboard makes for really easy labeling/naming marks, etc.

Thanks for any feedback or comments,

JW

2. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Contact Chris at Precision Marine in New Rochelle.
    (914) 235-4023

He goes by Wharf Rat on this site.

3. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    I plan on talking with Chris today at some point as i need a few other items as well.

JW

4. Dr. Chip

Dr. Chip Senior Member

Professor and Director
    Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    That is an excellent plan.. !

5. captjohn

captjohn Captain

Retired field engineer, aircraft
    Boat Make:
    Henriques
    I went with two SIMRAD MFD's, the 4G radome and the S2009 depth sounder. It gives me the ability to display chart data on both displays as well as radar data. I can also display depth sounder data on all three displays. Personally, I prefer to have a dedicated depth sounder, even if I loose chart, GPS and RADAR data, I still know how much water is under me, which is always important. I once had to head home from over 80 miles offshore after loosing both radar and navigation data. Used the compass, my watch, the depth sounder, and a chart to find my way home (was only off course about a mile when I came up on the beach). And it was a piece of cake, the depth sounder helped me confirm where I was along with the chart and time traveled. Two boats later, still have an independent depth sounder because of this. Just my two cents.

south shore likes this.
  6. dirwood

dirwood Member

Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    After talking to Wharf Rat I decided to go with a R2009/4G setup along with everything needed to network the new radar with two existing EVO 2's. Wharf Rat was great to deal with and it is nice to have someone who is willing to help walk through the selection process and ensure that when the boxes start arriving you have everything needed to complete the install. Hope to have everything up and running this weekend, can't wait to try out the 4G radar.

7. Skeetsdad

Skeetsdad Senior Member

Boat Make:
    28 Carolina Classic, 34 Webbers Cove
    Can you take a picture or two of the R2009 in color mode? All the images I have seen are monochrome.