Simrad robertson ap 20 on the fritz

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by WMhunts, Jun 25, 2018.

1. WMhunts

WMhunts Member

I cant figure this thing out, im new to auto pilots. It worked ok last fall for about the first 50 hours i had the boat. This year it started messed up & hasnt gotten better.
    It seems the compass cant get its bearings, sometimes it will hold bearing but if i try to adjust with knob or arrow keys its goes wild & the compass reading goes round & round.
    Sometimes it will be holding path alright then veer port or starboard off course & still say the heading is the same.
    Also compass never matches gps or actual compass always at least 7 degrees off.
    Any & all help will be appreciated is there something ican do on the menu that will help this. Compass calibration doesnt work just keeps going & going.
    Is it the compass?
    Perhaps unit is too old & i should replace?

2. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

Did you put something ferrous near the compass in the off season?

3. WMhunts

WMhunts Member

I dont believe so.
    I did put my tool kits inthe head they must be at least 3ft from the compass , i suppose its probably 10lbs of steel could that be it?

4. Charlotte

Charlotte Member

I would start there. Do a little search of the area. Remove anything suspect and see what happens. It’s easy and cheap to eliminate this as a source of the problem.

5. WMhunts

WMhunts Member

Good news!
    I downloaded the manual & went through the initial set up process. Problem seems to be solved
    Pretty sure the unit wasn't recognizing the compass

Hallelujah Newman 36 likes this.