smelly ac unit all of a sudden.

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by HUNTHARD, Jul 17, 2017 at 7:17 AM.

1. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    So just this past weekend the ac started to smell. The smell almost smells like the holding tank. The holding tank isn't anywhere near the ac until. I cleaned the air handler filters in the beginning of the season. What would be causing this smell and how can I fix it. I am going to treat the holding tank but I am not sure that's the cause of the smell, the engine room doesn't smell and that's where the ac unit is located. Could a dirty strainer cause this smell? I did a quick peak yesterday and the strainer looked clean it wasn't all dirty and black. Where would you guys start? It's definitely a foul smell.

2. Parttime

Parttime Senior Member

Commercial Fisherman
    Maybe condensation being trapped in the pan under the coil. If so bleach will take care of the bad water. While you are in there clean the evap coil.

3. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Check your flexible air ducts.

We had one full of water from condensation causing a smell and the sensors in the system to register high moisture.

CEShawn likes this.
  4. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    what would be the best way to clean the evap coil?

5. LadyMaureen

LadyMaureen Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    Hey Paul. My last Wesmac had an issue where the builder "skinned" over the keel gap forward of steering bulkhead. I assume he did this to create a good storage agea below cabin floor. Anyway somehow salt water could make it's way in there from one or two possible sources and over time that water began to smell, especially bad in summer months. I ended up cutting an access plate in the fiberglass "skin" so I could access, remove and bleach the area...always did the trick. I tried to minimize any salt water intrusion and was making progress but not sure if I ever really stopped it 100%. Check under your forward cabin, see if you can get right to the keel split or is it skinned over...if skinned over you may have salt water in there with decomposing / shitty salt water creating the smell.

Good luck.

6. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Thanks guys I have been in the engine room and he front bulked at the bottom of the stairs many times and no smell and no standing water. It's definitely centralized to the ac itself. I am going to clean the filter by the intake, clean the strainer pull off the vents and see if I can clean inside them at all. Thinking about it now it's the upper cabin not the lower vents to it's centralized to the upper vents. Maybe just that air handler is really dirty.

7. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Its not your sea strainer. That has zero to do with smells. Posts above perfectly outlined the problem areas.

8. Parttime

Parttime Senior Member

Commercial Fisherman
  9. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    Just remember that bleach is corrosive to metal, I would mix water bleach and some soap poor it into the tray let it sit for a few minutes then rinse it down to the condensate pump.

TCL,
  10. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Strainer was dirty and so were all the filters. Ducts were clean. No smell in ducts and no water.
    Turns out I needed to treat the head and that's where the smell was coming from.
    Thanks for all the help

11. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Don't forget to treat your fresh water also. It can get real nasty, feel slimy and STINK to holy hell. I believe its 1 teaspoon of bleach per 20 gallons of fresh water. Always make sure you add the bleach before the tank is full so filling rinses the bleach out of your line IMHO

12. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    Thanks, Badlatitude. it's been a combination of allot of things. Fresh water system needed a full cleaning, tank and all the lines and filters. The Holding tank needed to be treated cleaned and flushed also. Then yesterday while adding high water alarms to different compartments I noticed the shower sump pump was completely filled with crap. We took the entire unit apart cleaned it, bleached everything and put it back together like new. The worst thing you can do with a boat is not use it and that's what we are running into with everything. 175 hours this season we are changing that real fast. If we get any December Bluefin fishing here off long island we should be over 450. Just gotta Keep plugging away, eventually we will have touched every single thing on this boat. what else is new :).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 7:11 AM
    Badlatitude likes this.
  13. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Look up sanitizing RV fresh water system. its just a slightly higher bleach ratio and run water through the system then let it sit for a little while. even with stuff like your shower. That mild bleach water will help it all. That is why water plants do this as well.

I forget the speed as which bleach evaps to water again but if you have ever grabbed an old bottle of bleech and noticed its dead and doesnt smell much anymore. Thats why. Its also the same reason you fill an extra container with tap water and let it sit for day or so before topping off a fish tank.

Once you get in the routine of dealing with your systems and keeping them clean you will enjoy your beast a heck of a lot more!

14. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    thanks Badlatitude all we have been doing is dealing with bullshit on top of bullshit. Literally :) . but finally everything is working the way it should. Only took 8 months. Now if some decent fish show up I will be a happy man. I guess this warm weather finally made all of these gummed up systems start to smell.