Spooling up a 130

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by 30-06guy, Mar 28, 2018.

1. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I'm getting ready to purchase some hollow core spectra for a Penn 130st ( either Jerry Brown or Seaguar threadlock). Looking at the price the 130 pound is a bit cheaper than the 200. Is there any advantage to useing the 200 pound line? I know lots of guys use the 130 pound on 80W reels to help with capacity. I don't mind spending the extra if it's worth it. Also any thoughts (good or bad) on the above mentioned brands ?

Thanks
    Rob

2. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    If your not doing tournaments I would use the 200 JB. You will get more than enough 200# line on a 130 for those days when you run into shy fish and need light leaders. Just need a good left hand glove.

30-06guy likes this.
  3. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm not interested in tournaments just caching some fish. If it's worth the extra money I will get the 200 pound JB.

Thanks
    Rob

4. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

2nd 200# J/B, it will hold up to wrapping around most anything you can find out there, except maybe props....

Cdux,
    30-06guy likes this.
  5. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Thanks again. Do you think that 1200 yards would be to much with 150-200 feet of top shot? Plus while I'm on the subject any recommendations on mono top ? I have a spool of Momoi 200 pound that I was planning on using . I would welcome any other recommendations.

6. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Unless you are planning on deep dropping with them 600 yds (1800') would be fine. Get some heavy dacron or such for backer/filler. I wasnt sure how much to put under my 80's to fill the spool, so on the 1st rod I loaded in reverse: top shot, then 600yds spectra, then filled out with dacron on a line counter then transfer to the 2nd reel. Of course it was 1 more step but I knew exactly how much backer to load on the other 3 from the start. You can do some math and get close, but its a lot winding to find out your 100 off on the pricey line.

Cdux,
    Beamie likes this.
  7. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Im running the 175 mono so I can rig the smaller spro swivels w/ chaffing tube, as I dont have oversized guides and the next size up to fit 200# bangs around a lot going in and out. But get some small spools and find what you like. Splicing in a top shot with J/b is like a 5 minute operation after a few times.

Cdux,
  8. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

That's a great idea. I hadn't thought about filling the reel in reverse. I like the idea of using the dacron backing. That spectra line is pricy enough without filling the whole reel.

9. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I have the winthrop guides on my CMS Chatham specials so the 200 pound line and chaff gear shouldn't be a problem but I will play around with some other line like you suggest . The only reason I was going with the 200 is I already have a big spool that I can use . I know that mono carries a lot of light down through it. Do you think that going with the lighter mono helps with the shy fish or is it more important to just run a longer florocarbon leader and keep some distance from any of the top shot ?

10. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Never thought of that with top shot. On lock jaw days I only ever adjust floro size & length. Run clear, blue, & green on the tops before w/o noticing a difference. I do 15 fathom from the splice to swivel, cause its easy math to my 1st depth, the 2nd is 5 pulls from there & so on.

And if it your 1st time with spectra be mindfull of fingers & hands, that stuff will slice you up nicely under tension.

Cdux,
    NightBite likes this.
  11. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I've thought about trying to darken the top shot with permanent marker. Same as you do with the crimps. I was thinking that it might help on those sunny blue bird days when it's bright and cloudless. Thanks for the safety tip on the spectra. I will definitely be using a decent glove on my left hand.

12. willbfishin

willbfishin Senior Member

Why not just put 600 yards of spectra then a longer mono top shot and eliminate the Dacron?
    If your not into making your own top shot you can purchase them made ....bhp top shots are very popular and he will make you any combo you like

Downrigga likes this.
  13. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Instead of that splice in a top shot of braid say 10 fathom on a middle shot of mono. Its going to be less visable than 1.5mm mono colored black. Really just need the mono as shock absorber at that point.

Cdux,
  14. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I like the idea of having some extra running line(dacron)under the spectra. Hopefully you never have to get into it but having it there would make me feel better about using lighter leader and less drag if the fish get real finicky. My original thought was to keep the top shot of mono on the shorter side and just have it for a shock absorber. I was concerned with a longer top that it would gather light and carry it down the line into the water, although I'm not sure that that's really what would happen. I will experiment a bit with the mono and see what I like best. I will also stick with a good 2 fathoms of floro and keep my bait a distance from the mono.

15. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I have checked out Basil's web page and read a lot of stuff on the Internet that he has written. I was planning on getting my JB from him . I will check out getting some different mono tops from him as well. Thanks again.

Rob

16. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Once or twice a season we'll have one take us into the backing (600yds+) but then you are still only like 1" into to spool and pulling close to true drag compared to mono were you are getting real skinny on the arbor and having back off on the lever. Plus there is less pressure on the hook end cause he is towing thinner gear thru the water.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Cdux,
  17. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

How are you connecting the Spectra to the Dacron? Loop to loop or can the Dacron be spliced into the spectra with a needle the same as mono ?

18. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

On the 80s the lines were similar diameter & I did a double hollow splice. My brother 130s had that thick shoe string darcon, so ran the j/b up inside like 10' poked it out & finished w/ one of side a uni around the darcon, on the other end then whipped the darcon to the j/b w/ floss.

Cdux,
  19. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I would like to stay with the smaller dacron and do a hollow splice. Do you know what brand it was and where you got it?

20. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

It was 200# Cortland I had laying around, think I got it discontinued at KPT for a song like 10 years ago.

The 200# mono fits inside J/B so anything 1.5mm or less will work. Probally go a fair bit less as dacron wont slide like mono.

Cdux,