Spooling up a 130

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by 30-06guy, Mar 28, 2018.

1. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I found some Woodstock dacron online. I will give that a try for the backing. Thanks again for all the help.

2. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

My pleasure. Been nice thinking & chatting fishing, after this winter that wont let go. But think the end is nigh, walked out to the boat today and didn't need the snowshoes :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    Cdux,
  3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    In my opinion you should not use dacron under your JB. Your reel will hold quite a bit of # 200 so the dacron unless your on a monster fish with a screaming tide and all odds against you, it will never see the light of day. Dacron is a good filler but it will rot. Not sure if your chunking or not but i would not darken the mono. Use a floro leader and you dont have to worry about them seeing the line. Keeping the leader clean is more important. Use a pad.

4. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

No expert on polymers, but I dont associated rot w/ synthetics, u/v degradation certainly. Modern dacron aint the 9 stand linen of Papa Hemingway days.

I do plan to reverse the spectra on my 80s this spring and check tbe backing as its been 6 years. Will report my findings.

Cdux,
  5. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

I know dacron can rot and that is one of the negatives of it. I was just thinking price wise to use the Dacron under 600 yards of the JB as a filler and some "just in case " backup. Rather than buy 1000 yards of spectra to fill the reel. Hopefully I would never need it but on the rare chance that I do, it will be nice knowing that it's there. I don't plan on chunking because it's dogtown around here in the summer with all the spiny dogfish . I'm not saying that I may not give it a shot but my plan is to fish live bait as much as I can. I will stick with the mono the way it is. I'm always trying to over think things and build a better mouse trap. I will use a good length of floro leader and keep it clean with alcohol wipes.

Thanks again
    Rob

6. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Looking forward to hearing what you find . To be honest I would probably unspool every season to check on the dacron. Not that I think it would be bad in that amount of time, but I would feel better knowing what it looks like at the start of the season .

7. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Boy that is a lot of work. Wet packing 130 s is a bitch unless you have a machine. Maybe cudx is correct and dacron is better now but on a reel that big i find that dacron gets hardly used and the salt works its way down into the dacron and when you do pull it off the reel it seems very soft so i wont use it.

8. leaky

leaky Captain

If you wanted to use Dacron but wanted a little bit more line than the 200# allows but didn't want to go all the way down to 130# - they do make sizes in between, ie 150#..

With backing, I want the backing a little stronger than my topshot and leader - reason being it's not getting constantly witnessed and maintained. I don't know about Dacron rotting, seems to last a very long time, but it certainly does not get stronger with age.

The only time I'd mix spectra & Dacron, which I have done before, is to quickly add a little more capacity for cheap $$ - ie buy 300 yards of spectra and pack it on underneath the Dacron that's already there.

BTW for de-spooling and re-spooling reels, a hose reel works well - nice and big so they can quickly take on many yards, great for flipping lines around on a reel if a need arises. Also about any old big game reel works great too - plus you can use the drag to help you wet pack - I've got a set of beastmasters hanging around I use for just that - wet packing. First I put the backing onto the beastmaster, then I drop it in a bucket of water to soak the line - then I set the drag to the amount of resistance I want and I fill the new reel off it.

As has been stated, if you want to put an exact amount on there you can do it in reverse first to figure out how much backing - I'm pretty sure though 600 yards of Jerry brown 200# leaves enough space for a good long topshot.

Jon

9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Couple of good reasons for a longer top shot with JB is tbe fact that spectra does have a tendancy to twist. Having the extra topshot keeps more of the spectra on the reel that is not getting twisted. The spectra is also a lot thinner so grabbing it with a glove near the end game requires getting use too. Plus at least for me anyway I always feel better when I have several wraps of the top shot back on the reel when the fish is heavy. Sooner the better always.

10. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

You make some good points for running a long top shot. What weight and length do you recommend starting with on a 130 reel? I'm planning on using Momoi 200 pound. Do you start with a longer top and cut it back some after a fight or do you completely change it out? I've talked to guys that do both but most just cut off 40-50 feet after a fight.

11. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

That's a great idea using a hose reel to unspool line. I was going to make up a spool with an arbor on it that I could stick in a drill. I also planed to do like you said and load the line on another reel wet, and then put it on my 130 reel under drag.

12. Duke

Duke Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Dyer 29
    How about trading the 130's for 80's? Using the 200 lb spectra you can get 600 yds of backing and a 200 yd top shot plus they weigh 3.5 lbs less. What's not to like?

Duke,
  13. Haddock

Haddock Member

Joe at Fisherman's Outfitters in Gloucester can take care of you professionally with no concerns or questions; worth the money for the money fish.

14. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Woo-ho a 130 vs 80 debate, now it's on. :D All kidding aside, I have a nice Avet 80 EXW on my other rod. It's filled with Jerry Brown 130 pound line I still have to put a top shot on it. I got the two CMS rods with winthrop guides and the Avet reel used. I then got a decent deal on the 130st and want to run it on the other rod. I know that both reels have a good following. I plan to fish both, if I end up liking one over the other I will probably switch over to one size. But for now I plan to fish them both.

15. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    If you getting advice from basil there is no one better. I start with 100 yards of 200 lb top shot. I dont change it out affer a fight. I change the leader after a fight tbough. Depending on how many fish you catch you many have to cut it back some and at some point you will know you need to change it out. Real advantage in learning how to splice while your out fishing for a quick change out.

Old Mud likes this.
  16. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    Are guys not using Fluoro for main line just based on cost? I understand the difference in the lines. Elasticity, abrasion resistance, sink rate, visibility, etc. but with the development of today’s rods Vs. yesterdays broom sticks. It’s not like Fluoro has no stretch and the whole presentation would theoretically be invisible. So what gives?

Steve

Downrigga likes this.
  17. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Thats my reason, at $75/25yds; adds up quick when the green-eyed ladies are around. Plus you need a swivel & sinker in there somewhere & pretty tough to hide those; might as well have reg mono on the back side of it.

Cdux,
  18. 30-06guy

30-06guy Senior Member

Only reason I ask about cutting back the top shot after a fight is, I was talking to a tuna charter Capt from PEI and he told me that he always cut back 20 feet or so after a fish. He thought that that part of the top shot got stressed the most and it was worth cutting it away and getting into fresher line. The other guy that changes them every fish runs short tops. I don't know if he changes them to be safe or what. He probably parted off a fish or two and just started doing it. As for the leader I will definitely change after a fish, even if it's a short fight and the fish pulls the hook. A sales rep for momoi told me that once florocarbon has had a load put on it that it will loose it's ability to go invisible in the water. According to him once it gets stretched tight it will start taking a white color to it in the water. I have no idea if it's true or not but I would change it anyway.

19. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Dont over think it. Keep the line clean and take the memory out of your floro leader. A nice fresh bait makes up for a lot of sins. Many bites come from under the bait and they wont even pay any attention to the line. Some days you can catch them on a tin can. Some days they swim thru the baits. Some days its the opposite tide or maybe they only eat at night. That is half the fun, figuring it out. If you put the time in the tuna gods will reward you.

20. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    Me and the gods must be keeping different watches lol

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    Downrigga and Cdux like this.