Steel fuel tank

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by Genius, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Block the vent and try like 1 psi of air pressure? SPray some soap like fantastic on the fittings/hoses and see if you have a leak?

I have had good luck with tank additives for dealing with odor too. Better but not gone. Firm believer in 1 1/2” tank vents if possible and more than 1 if you can. Had boats with and without and they really solve the problem

Genius likes this.
  2. Ol Gilnetter

Ol Gilnetter Senior Member

Second the double vent suggestion, one on each side of the boat to get some air moving thr0ugh the tank, makes a lot of difference. Old hoses and old tanks stink too, just pulled my whole system, every piece stunk from the outside with not a single leak. Albeit the hoses were low dollar white san hose which has a fairly short life before the stink permeates...

Genius likes this.
  3. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    1 1/2" vents??? never seen them. where do you find these fixtures. Good point on the pressure test!

4. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Since its a holding tank vents can just be 1 1/2 plastic thru hulls (or SS or Bronze). That is what I used anyway. No harm in a little spray or rain getting on my shit.:)