Stero and generator issues with electrical

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat NEWBIES' started by bodo@inkstone.com, Jun 12, 2018.

1. bodo@inkstone.com

bodo@inkstone.com Member

Hi Guys

I had an electrical engineer replace all 5 of my batteries and make sure the wiring was good during the off season. We also installed a shut off and fuse for the inverter. I now show great voltage but cannot get any sound out of my stereo ( it is getting power ) and there is no power going to my generator. Any thoughts.

Bodo

2. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Call the guy that "fixed" it?

ErikT, Genius and Gurryman like this.
  3. archsea bunker

archsea bunker Member

4. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Start getting multimeter smart, or take it to someone that is.

5. Genius

Genius Captain

Moorings,Oil Field Trash,Pilot Boat Driver
    Boat Make:
    32' Jarvis Newman 32' Morse Cove
    electrical engineer is problem #1. Sorry your having trouble. Like Jerry says, need to start tracing out what is going on. It's always good to start from the power source and work to the device labeling and making notes as you go.

6. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    Given your batteries were replaced I would check grounds first.

7. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Member

One electrical engineer that made me laugh hysterically one time... Designed a system for a well known yacht company we worked for. We had some electrical issues so we called him up to take a look. He asked to borrow my multi meter. He hooked the Red lead to the negative and black lead to the positive on the battery and said "See!! Minus 12 volts you hooked the battery up backwards!". So...
    No power to the generator like its not starting. If I understand correctly? Make sure the generator is connected to the correct position on the battery switch, (Shut off as you called it). If the stereo has an amplifier..1) make sure the "remote wire" is connected between the stereo and amp. 2) Check the RCA jacks to the amp. 3)make sure the amp is not connected to the same breaker as the head unit. Hope this helps. At least something to check..

8. RCLS2016

RCLS2016 Member

And yes like Jerry said definetly check the grounds as well.

9. leaky

leaky Captain

+1 you should call the guy who did it and most likely in 10 minutes that's gonna get explained or fixed..

Most common error with stereos is the amp turn on wire (or "antenna" wire) was omitted.

Anyone can make a mistake but usually when I wire someone's boat the #1 problem is lack of listening by the owner (ie do not understand how to use the system), what someone does after the fact, or odd failure of new components - like for instance I've had new circuit breakers that make a very poor connection or none at all right out of the box.

Funny about 5 years ago I was going through this thing where I'd wired a boat that was in RI and some local mechanic kept telling the owner (a friend of mine but still was irritating) the reason the batteries kept getting killed was a constant draw due to my wiring. Driving back down there I found the draw was coming from some engine harnesses the mechanic had directly wired to the batteries, which I ripped out, and then that the reason we had that draw was the mechanic had connected the fuel shut off solenoid backwards one one engine, and the owner had been keeping the engine batteries in parallel (so you killed both and not just one) .. Oddly it worked like that, would allow the engines to run and shut off normally, but the result is there would be a constant draw anytime the ignition was left on, which was left on all the time via the directly wired harnesses.

Genius likes this.