Strong fall tuna price???

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by plowin, Jun 18, 2018.

1. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Anybody notice the bluefin auction in japan tonight?? 5000 yen/kilo return for the first Boston Bluefin! So much for saving the fish till fall to get the big price. It’s a myth. Congrats to the captain and crew.

dexterdog likes this.
  2. Bpd92

Bpd92 Senior Member

Keeping your lights on
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy, Eastern 18
    So that is $23/lb at the auction, what does the boat actually see after the fees, shipping, etc.... not being wise, actually wondering so I can interpret the auction prices correctly

3. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

That will be down to 2500 once a bunch of thin fish hit the floor.

Cdux,
    Downrigga likes this.
  4. plowin

plowin Captain

Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    A thin fish should only return a low price, thats how it should work. A glut of fish whether they are thin or fat will not return nearly what they should. Nothing more frustrating in this racket than selling a good fish for a lousy price.

Downrigga and Old Mud like this.
  5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Frustrating dosn't even start to describe it. After the last couple of years i have finally given up ! Haven't even got my Tuna permit yet. I will But it will be Rec. Catch em take a pic. and cut em loose. I won't even keep one because i don't eat Bluefin.

Guess i have just have lost the will to make other folks fat while i struggle to pay for my gear.

Sorry for the rant but i think it's just so Fu***d up.

midnight687, Rockd and steveinak like this.
  6. plowin

plowin Captain

Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    I get it mud. I never minded getting a poor price on a poor quality fish, you should, but when your giving nice stuff away for cheap its extremely disheartening. It’s almost as frustrating as putting in a lot of time and work fishing and covering bottom to come home and look on the computer to see guys spreading the word on exactly where to be. Then you have to listen to them cry when there are a million people fishing in that spot! I was never a genius at math but I can figure out that equation!

7. Bobby

Bobby Member

I fix stuff & Fisherman
    5000 yen/kilo is a good price, boat typically gets 50% plus or minus. The same fish in the fall would be fatter, and would do real well, but only if it was caught now. If it is caught in the fall at the same time as 75 other fish, then I'd rather catch the fish they just got and get the ~$12/lb.

8. dexterdog

dexterdog Member

If that fish would be fatter in the fall he would be rounder than he was long!!!

9. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Bobby, i would take $12. a lb. all day long everyday. Not near as much as the days past but enough to keep a guy in. It the days we were getting $20. t0 $22. and fuel was $1.50 t0 $1.75 things were good. A guy could make a decent season. Then as time went on and buyers were everywhere you would hear " Their economy is bad, Our economy is bad, It's to big they like the smaller fish so one company could buy the whole fish rather than cutting it up and splitting the cost, UGH, Not enough fat in the Majors, Not enough fat in the Minors, You burn't him out, Etc Etc. Guess i have heard them all.

Add to that every buyer would promise he could do better than anyone else. (As cut throat as you can get. ) Then when things really did go to shit (with our economy) they found out they could buy "cheap fish" . That and after years of trying to establish a domestic market they pulled it off. As we, (Americans) don't revere the Bluefin like our Eastern friends we won't pay as much for our Sushi. This is good for our buyers, no more putting out the big bucks to give them a flight to Japan. And supposedly a quicker turn around to pay day. To keep that market going and not loose your good customers you have to satisfy that market. This means lower prices to the boats.

And on and on. all that just scratches the surface. This fisheries is all about the Money, Nothing else. When the fishermen will sell fish (No matter the condition or quality) for 3 or $4. a pound why would they have to pay more. !!! I have to get a glass of vino now to make me feel better.

10. starrfish

starrfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35 duffy
    my guestamate on that return would be closer to 30/35%.
    5000 yen per Kilo, not pound

PatriciaLynn and Downrigga like this.
  11. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    I have been out of the game for the past 10 years. Had an opportunity to run over all of my old stomping grounds throughout the northeast around the 4th. Spots that 10 years ago may have fished well with 2-3 boats had 7-10 on them. Is this because of wicked tuna? Who the heck wants to fish a spot with that many boats? It isn't good for any of them to be piled up on top of each other like that.

12. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    That's all they have seen, That's all they know . Reality TV teaches some good shit. Find your friends (or enemy's) Jump right in there (Mug em out) just as that's the only place in the Gulf to fish. Scream and insult each other like school kids then catch a fish and run it in for your $20.00 a pound.

I do not mean everyone is like that but dam that attitude doe's seem to sell well.

13. SeacoastNH

SeacoastNH Member

Ive been commercial tuna fishing for 30 years. In the past 5-8 years. lets call it the Wicked Tuna era, there has been a major influx of fisherman into our market. Anyone with a boat and enough cash for a 130 is out every weekend and most weekdays. Spots where there used to be 5-10 boats are now covered in 100+.

We're to the point where we dont fish weekends any longer. And really dont start sniffing around the fishery until mid-August.

Mud is correct with the statements above. The multiple buyers have driven the price down with their fake cut throat tactics. None of them are getting any better price than anyone else. We use 1 buyer exclusively at this point, after a new buyer to the market left what should have been a solid Japanese fish laying on a pallet to rot over a long weekend.

This might be my last year in the fishery for a while. Would be nice to get back to enjoying the boat, rather than stress of constantly chasing the money.

mackt1ts and Old Mud like this.
  14. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    You would think one honest buyer who could give good returns and not be a pig could get everyone's fish.

15. goin4broke

goin4broke Captain

Electrician
    Boat Make:
    35 Foot Terry Jason (Currently undergoing finishing touches)
    Came across this video as I usually do, looking for something not even close to this. Aren’t algorithms wonderful? Anyway, don’t know a damn thing about the tuna business but figure it’s just like any other, you make hay while the sun shines. I found it was a interesting take on the end user side. He seems to prefer local catch.

Comments?

16. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    The Japanese do revere the Tuna much more than we do. It's more like a religion in their preparation and even the consumption. He is right when he says leisure fishing for Tuna here. Commercial Tuna fishing here is for the most part just that. It's the one fisheries that just anyone can get in without a heavy investment for Permits and gear.

When Commercial fishing for any other species, after all the investment it's balls to the wall. Not just fishing on weekends or a couple of days a week. It's much like being a farmer, Everyday, no matter the weather. That's is what it takes to make a living fishing. Tuna fishing you can/Could do just a few days a week or even Month or even on weekends.

17. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    No one is making boat payments to sell BFT. The brokers are not the problem. Look at the changes that have effected our prices. The yen at one time blew away the dollar and that was a big factor in substantial returns back in the 90's. The dollar is stronger than the yen so we don't benefit from that conversion any longer.

We now have something like 140 BFT fish farms that have ample supply 12 month of the year. On a moments notice 200 pieces can hit the floor. The brokers, like us are at the mercy of a well oiled machine.

PatriciaLynn likes this.
  18. voodoojfb

voodoojfb Member

Boat Make:
    22 Tripp CC
    as someone that knows zero about sending a fish to japan, how does our domestic market play into the situation? Are there buyers out there that only play in the US market and have built a base of domestic restaurants? With the currency swing, it seems like if this market is built up fishermen would do well and the cost of overnight air freight would be savings/profit compared to Japan with lopsided currency situations.

19. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    You would think we can support a healthy domestic market but 90% of the fish are cheap imports. The domestic market price for our fish does not really support high prices.