The Reincarnation of Merlin - 36 Northern Bay

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by xbskt, Nov 25, 2017.

1. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Life is a long story. Many chapters. Some full of hope and some telling of despair.
    Life has taught me that good things will happen to good people but also that unfortunately, bad things happen to good people as well.
    The fact that I own a 36 Northern Bay is a story with all those things wrapped up in one tale.

Merlin is a well known boat around Nantucket. Commissioned by it's original owner to do one thing and do it well. Lobster fishing.
    The original owner did just that for a long time and was one of just a handful of commercial fisherman working out of the once great commercial port of Nantucket.
    After a long and storied career making a living from the sea, time and life caught up with Merlin and the owner.
    At the end Merlin sunk at her dock and her proud owner had gotten too sick to fish any longer.
    It is with great respect for the history of the boat, and with even more respect for the man and the family that I am committed to bringing her back to her former glory all while honoring their past.

I was one of many people that had asked about the boat while she stood dormant. I did however at the time offer to help with the sale if it was not to be sold to me. I was worried the owner's wife would get screwed as she really knew not much of boats and she was now in charge of a desirable one. I told her I understood it was not easy but when she was ready to let Merlin go I would like to help if I could.
    I was taken back when she called some years later. As it turned out she had had many people call and several crassly offered very little money because it needed work.
    She asked if I was still interested and I of course said yes even though the Crowley still had wet paint on a refresh still not completed.
    She had no idea of how to proceed as the numbers she had gotten varied wildly. I told her I would get a survey and we would come to a fair market value and go from there.
    With the survey done we came to a price we both were happy with and I suddenly had the foundation of my dream boat and a new friend in the original owners wife.

Not much to report yet. A lot of cleaning and removal of the old engine over the summer.

In August Merlin was floated for the first time in 5 years and towed to the Cape and hauled out at Saquetucket Harbor.
    I consider myself very lucky to have gotten a slot at Cape Island Boats for the resurrection of Merlin.
    Andy is a great guy and he has been very helpful in figuring out how to go about bringing her back while making her ours all while paying respect to her past.

Phase one will include repower and mechanical refresh of the running gear and thruhulls, temporary electronics, rodholders and closing the transom in.

Phase two will include putting a full top on her, electronics, generator and AC

Phase three will be down below. Berth, proper head and shower etc. Layout TBD

I like the short lobster top trunk so that will stay and I am planing on replacing everything from the main bulkhead back. I know that Andy will get the proportions just right. Mrs. is after a not too big galley up layout for overnights and I want a big cockpit. Should be doable. Really happy Andy is onboard. He has a real good eye for Downeast boats and this one needs to look a certain way so it is what we want but is still easily recognizable as the Merlin.

The story continues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
    Eastporter, OysterMan, Bill and 5 others like this.
  2. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Congratulations man, Northern Bays, 36 & 38, are my absolute favorite hulls. Can't wait to watch you bring this one back to it's former glory.

Regman99 likes this.
  3. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    A few more from the summer progress.

Attached Files:

Eastporter, Dr Dude and tailhook like this.
  4. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Headed back to where she belongs and deserves to be.

Attached Files:

Old Mud, duckhunter, Bill and 6 others like this.
  5. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Captain

Can't wait to see what Andy does with this boat. I know he's done a handful of other NB 36s and they are great looking boats.

Tuna Hotline likes this.
  6. Regman99

Regman99 Member

Boat Make:
    38 Northern bay
    Great to keep the history of her alive.

Maybe there will be a photo op this summer with our northern bays.

Hope to bump into you this week. Best of luck

7. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Great story. Honest people who actually care for each other are getting harder and harder to find these days- here's to you for doing the right thing. Best of luck with it.

duckhunter and Keelboater like this.
  8. Dr Dude

Dr Dude Captain

Retired
    Boat Make:
    Fortier 33 , McKeeCraft 28
    Best of luck ....Great story and history....gonna be a super ride !!!

9. Blackfindan

Blackfindan Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1977 24' Blackfin Combi (sold)
    Looks good.

10. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Nice! (nice old Bruno too ;)) Best of luck with her!

11. ArchHibb

ArchHibb Captain

Architect
    Boat Make:
    Five Islands 35 w/Cat 3116
    Great story. That hull and the yanmar will be a really nice package. You didn't choose an easy path tho'. Just getting Merlin to something like Brainey's ex- 40 YB Lucky Jack will be a lot of work. Look forward to the transformation...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  12. starrfish

starrfish Senior Member

Boat Make:
    35 duffy
    awesome. cant wait to see the progress

13. Hammer Slammer

Hammer Slammer Senior Member

Builder
    Boat Make:
    28' BHM
    I saw it there a few weeks ago at andys but forgot to ask him about it. Congratulations it's going to be great.

14. JimRP31

JimRP31 Captain

Sales
    Boat Make:
    Willis Beal/RP 31
    Congratulations. Nice project can’t wait to see more.

15. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    While stuck on the couch rehabbing my knee I am working out the to do list for Merlin.
    The prop that is on the boat now is probably original to the build and is likely to need a lot of love.
    I think I'll get a new prop to go with the other freshening of the shaft, cutass, dripless, etc.
    DQX 4 blade is front runner.
    I am not sure of the current size and pitch but it seems irrelevant with the change in engine and gear she will get combined with the age of the current prop.
    I am not sure what I am doing wrong with the prop calculator gizmo on BD but I can't get numbers that seems correct.
    What are other NB owners running?
    The Yanmar CX500 is WOT @3300 and I will cruise around 2800 if my previous Yanmar experience applies.
    The ZF 286 I am looking for would be 2 to 1 ratio.
    The shaft is 2" if you're curious.
    I am shooting for around 18,000 lbs when all done to help with speed by keeping weight down.
    I will of course be heavier for the occasional offshore trip but 20k would be max I think ever.

Any input appreciated

Attached Files:

16. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Why are you going 2:1 instead or 2.2:1 or 2.5:1 to try and swing a bigger wheel and keep the shaft speed down? My Cummins spins 3400 and I would love to move up to a 2.5:1 gear and slow everything down.

powderpro likes this.
  17. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Woundup is correct, if your engine truly redlines at 3,300, you will want a 2.5:1 reduction transmission.

18. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Looks like the Yanmar CX redlines at 2,900 rpms. 2.2:1 would be ideal at that rpm, but 2:1 could work if you found that ratio. Assuming 20k pounds, with 2.2:1 ratio and DQX prop, you would probably want to start around a 26"x 27", 2:1 reduction probably around a 26"x23".

19. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    Powderpro, what calculator are you running? If i sent you a PM with my boats info could you give me a pointer on prop size?

Surfishingboy likes this.
  20. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    Sure, I would be happy to give you my opinion, I use the boatdiesel calculator. No calculator will be perfect because there are too many variables to accurately project speed and prop needs, but I have quite a bit of experience with the BD prop calculator versus actual sea trials, so I can compare real world results with what the calculator says. I have noticed a pattern between the calculator and real world results. No one really knows what prop will be perfect until a sea trial is performed.

BillD and Eastporter like this.