The Reincarnation of Merlin - 36 Northern Bay

Discussion in 'Downeast Projects and Boat Building' started by xbskt, Nov 25, 2017.

1. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    You are absolutely correct Powderpro. 2900 is max. I guess I was thinking of my previous Yanmar 4 cylinder screamers.
    I am not married to 2:1 and can adjust the ratio I am searching for or eventually will buy. 2:1 was simply an offering.
    I understand trying to slow the shaft down but is there an ideal shaft RPM or ratio of shaft/flywheel RPM to shoot for?
    Is slowing the shaft strictly to ad longevity to rotating parts or is there point where the greater speed of the shaft reduces prop performance?

2. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    In the size of boats I build (32'-40'), I want a shaft speed at wot under 1,300 rpms. My goal is to be in the range of 1,100 - 1,250 rpms. The props I use have all been 26" or 28" diameter, so with those shaft speeds and prop sizes, I'm always close to square or slightly over square on my props.

With larger engines and larger props, the shaft speeds will tend to be a little slower.

A slower turning shaft will be a little easier to prop correctly, less wear and tear, and possibly less vibrations. And under most circumstances it will likely be more efficient at cruise speeds.

Blitzen likes this.
  3. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Thanks very much for that. I'll edit my WTB ZF286 ad to 2.2 and throw it out there.
    I do have a lead on a ZF301 at 2.2 that I will look into feasibility of fitting.
    I'm headed to Long Island to pick up the Yanmar this weekend and will have a look at the existing prop when I drop it off at Cape Island to see if it is in the ballpark.
    Ideally, I would seatrial with this prop cleaned up if it is near correct and get a new DQX based on initial numbers to which I could fine tune if needed.
    Ultimatley, the current prop would be my spare.
    We'll see.

4. Toolate

Toolate Captain

Building contractor
    Boat Make:
    1998 36' Sabre Express CAT 3116TA's, 2015 ROS Scotia 16 Etec 50
    Watch yourself out there....

:)

Keelboater likes this.
  5. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Yeah be careful driving down there you may not be used to the fast pace of life there.:)

eyecatcher likes this.
  6. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Don't worry. I only plan to be there for a couple hours. It's Rt.95 in CT that I hate. A semi necessary evil a few times a year.
    Sounds like the guy with my Yanmar might have a gear for me too. 2.2:1 no less.
    Stay tuned

7. RenegadeBI

RenegadeBI Member

She'll be one beautiful boat, nice story, I'll definitely follow the reports. It was nice to see the Althea K, I fished on her years ago.

Keelboater likes this.
  8. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    It's been an expensive 24 hours!:)
    Well worth the trip.
    On a tip from a forum member we are going to take the ferry from Port Jefferson to Bridgeport. As predicted, 95 in CT sucked this morning so we'll avoid as much of it as we can on the way back to the Cape.
    More to follow.
    Nice to meet a couple forum members face to face. 15122516578111242008934.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  9. RenegadeBI

RenegadeBI Member

Smart move!!

10. restless

restless Captain

Connecticut sucks. If you keep a boat there you have to go around Long Island just to get to the ocean!

11. Frigate

Frigate Senior Member

Licensed Land Surveyor
    Boat Make:
    38' Duffy/Flower
    You should have taken the New London Ferry, you would have a lot less of CT to deal with.

Pitou, El Mar and PBianculli like this.
  12. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Next time. I am hoping to need to go back down for a gear.
    The ferry was old hat for us but I got in a nap and we are now back on the Cape. I am meeting Andy in the morning to unload and then home to Nantucket on a high speed.

13. RenegadeBI

RenegadeBI Member

Maybe, but a lot of cool places in relatively close range.

14. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Wow, absolutely great thread to read for sure... Wasn't Eric's Endurance setup with the same Yanmar? I know I got to go up once to see it. Great story with all these boats... can't wait to watch it...

15. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Yeah. The Endurance had the same motor. 3000 hours with only a crankshaft replaced by Yanmar.
    His boat is much heavier and went well. I am determined to keep weight down to help with cruise speed.
    Be safe Shawn.

16. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    HOME again.
    Whirlwind tour buying boat parts is over. We met Tunatown Friday night to pick up the Bonar box and it is the perfect size for me. Cool hinged lid too. Thanks Sean.
    Headed to LI on Sat AM and stopped at a Walmart in Fall RIver to meet Jim (RP31) to pick up some replacement Bomar hatches. Merlin's have seen better days. Thanks Jim
    Merlin now has a Yanmar CX. Picked it up at Grovers in Freeport. They were surprised to see me with a one ton pick up and I was surprised to see the engine swinging in the air without a pallet. Shame on me for not asking. A couple/three blocks and some ratchet straps and we were off. Took the ferry back to Connecticut. I live on an Island and hate the ferry but this one was clutch! Port Jefferson had their Christmas Stroll going so we checked it out and got some really good pickles to bring home. We had time for a snack and a nap and BAM, we were in CT 3 hours away from home.
    We dropped the motor off at Cape Island Boats this morning. It looks clean and cared for and Andy is excited about this motor going in a 36 NB.
    I left Merlin's life raft to have it checked out and repacked or condemned.
    Back on the High Speed Ferry to home in time for Sunday Night Football.
    All in all a good weekend with a big hurdle passed.
    Bonar box.jpg CX on the forks at Grovers.jpg CX and hatches in the truck.jpg Truck loaded at Grovers.jpg I've been Groverized.jpg Grover Built 26.jpg Across the Atlantic.jpg Port Jeff ferry poster.jpg waiting close up.jpg

Tunatown, Toolate and El Mar like this.
  17. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I snapped this picture when I was at Cape Island Boats. It seems they have an artistic flair there for sure and are definitely using some product on the Wesmac, Flowers and maybe a little on the Northern Bay.

boatbuilders art.jpg

CEShawn, JimRP31, starrfish and 2 others like this.
  18. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    I took a wire brush to the hub and found out this prop is 26 x 27 so we'll start by getting her cleaned up and go from there with a 2.2:1 gear.

Andy at Cape Island Boats started closing in the transom in what little "spare time" he is finding during the Wesmac and Flowers builds.

Really happy how it's going so far.
    new transom inside 2.jpg new transom inside 4.jpg new transom outside.jpg new transom outside 3.jpg Prop needsl love.jpg

Regman99 and Bpd92 like this.
  19. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 RP Willis Beal
    Hello Xbskt, Best of luck with everything. My boat was in Grover's for some work right before you picked up your motor. Pete the diesel mechanic was testing out your motor, and if he gave you the thumbs up on it you are in good hands. Pete definitely knows his chit. That 36 NB is a beautiful hull looking forward to seeing the rest of your progress.

20. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Grover's is quite a complex. The guys were great to work with. The motor seems like a good one so I am happy. I talked to the original owner since and am more confident than ever I will have no issues.
    This Northern Bay has a LONG way to go but it is in good hands.
    cockpit from transom.jpg