The rope trick.

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by HUNTHARD, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Robb baker

Robb baker Member

Thanks for your comment. Aboard Lucille my interest is completely focused on improved efficiency. We use her as a cruising platform and burn rate is important. I read good things about the interceptor approach to trim but I rarely read anything but side comments regarding efficency. Trim angle and cruise speed are acceptable as is so it is a very costly approach for a potential improvement.

Lucille is hard chine with the long keel section cut away to a short stub. Plus water tank is central and fuel saddle tanks are self equalizing as they both feed a central day tank. The need for independent trim control is very low prority.

The cost of hull prep and such devices would be tough to justify when only looking for efficency which seems no data is available to quantify.

This fall I plan to use prop speed on prop and rudder and see what results I get. Also seems that if a 1/2 in rope can disrupt flow enough to gain stern lift a few sections of 1/2 round applied to the stern would have somewhat similar results. Any expierence on this forum regarding such an approach ?

I have read that increasing the beam at the chine is the most effective way to improve lift aft but complicates haul out.

Thanks for the feed back
    Rob

2. Robb baker

Robb baker Member

I agree with that, certainly response time would likely be quicker. Tx.

3. seasar33

seasar33 Member

Ronnie made those Lenco/ blades on his 38, fabricated aluminum plate with a channel on both sides for the plate to slide up and down. Worked well so I can understand why he did it on the 43. I think I noticed that he was able to recess into the transom on the new boat. Simple design and affordable. Wired into the ignition so when he shut off boat they automatically went up. Performance wise he could seriously stuff the bow, not that he wanted to but he showed me how well they worked. Cheaper version of the Humphreys and if an actuator broke it was easily repairable.

Silverfish and restless like this.
  4. PatriciaLynn

PatriciaLynn Member

Boat Make:
    Repco
    Half round would work, but a simple wedge made out of fairing compound would be more efficient and marginally more work.

You could rip down some marine ply into wedges on a table saw and use these as a core as well. Maybe more work, maybe less. Either way, more efficient than a piece of half round.

Remember, no one ever said using a trim rope is the best solution, it is just an easy, field expedient way to bring down the bow without making permanent changes to the hull.

sailor of fortune likes this.
  5. Rambler

Rambler Member

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    Huntard, did you ever decide what route you wanted to go. I put a 1/2" rope under my 42' Wesmac. It puled out the back except for each corner. It made a huge difference so it doesn't look like you need much. I was thinking of glassing on a small wedge this winter.

6. Robb baker

Robb baker Member

I'm interested in your findings. Also thinking of some form of generating lift aft. If the rope trick delivers results I would think glassing a preformed half round to the underside of the hull. Kind of a perminant rope trick. I have a wesmac 38 and is in need of some lift aft without increasing drag greatly.

What results did you see from the rope trick ?

7. Rambler

Rambler Member

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    When the rope was completely under the boat, it brought the bow down way too much. After the majority of it slipped off it dropped the bow over a foot and didn't seem to make the boat wallow in a following sea. Performance was not changed noticeable but visibility was much improved. My thought is that a half round will act like the rope but may offer some drag. My thought is a small wedge no more that a half inch at the high end will be more efficient. The question is how long to make it and where to place it.

8. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Rambler, if you want to just try out the wedge, you could just glue a shingle on the bottom and see how it works out, and then adjust accordingly to get it where you want and then make it more permanent when the boat comes back out.

Keelboater likes this.
  9. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Senior Member

You would have to figure what size rope you want to use 100% of the time in any and all sea conditions, loads etc. Then you can calculate the area of the rope across the wetted width of the transom, then convert that to equivilant area of what ever material want to permanenantly affix ie 1/2 round, wedge etc divided into two separate pieces.. I used hollow back half oval stock, you can find it in 3/4", 1", 1.25, 1.5"wide outside of the prop wash/rudder path but only on the flat part of the hull(not on the round bilge) right under the transom or no more than 1/2-1 inch foward of the stern. It will require some trial and error, if you glass it you can go right to the transom and grind it down etc. had a friend with a downeaster that listed, he ran a single large single wooden wedge glued/glassed to the hull to even out the running attitude. You would basically locate them where you would do trim tabs on a traditional boat

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  10. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Why not just QL tabs, zipwakes, etc.

Gotta be cheaper than messing with haul outs and wedges plus they are adjustable.

Might be days you want the bow up.

PBianculli likes this.
  11. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Really! Coming from the guy that builds everything himself.

El Mar likes this.
  12. offshore27ns

offshore27ns Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    I have zip wake

Best choice as you can adjust to different percentages of deployment for different speeds

PBianculli likes this.
  13. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    I was thinking zipwakes, then read this, talked to a few people, never even tried the rope yet, but was leaning toward the wedge. Keep it simple, have to be less cost, etc.

But, have decided to go with zipwakes. Varying sea conditions, passenger load side to side with charters, ability to be flexible versus one way only, all the time with the wedge. Figure this might be the boat for the duration, so why not go all in.

14. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I wouldn’t waste the time and material on a wedge. Best to do something that is variable. Boats change with fuel, water, gear, and people. Not to mention weather conditions.

El Mar and PBianculli like this.
  15. Fishonnelsons

Fishonnelsons Captain

Charter boat Captain
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    38 Wesmac
    Really good points Jerry

16. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    I don't think a wedge is the answer. I think you need the restriction of the rope or the square edge of the tab to push the bow down. A backwards wedge may work better. Or am I just over thinking this?

PBianculli likes this.
  17. Genius

Genius Captain

Wedges work, I've got one a Jarvis Newman. Boat also has trim tabs also.

18. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Agreed.

I know where not to waste my time. :D

19. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Did you add the wedge after trying the rope?

20. Genius

Genius Captain

No, it was done before me. So, I guess it would be fair to say that I really don't know if they work...because I have nothing to compare it to. From the best I can surmise it appears it was done to get the ride to a middle ground....or, a base line. The wedge is small. Tabs look like they were added somewhere along the way. Using the tabs allows one to stuff the bow down if needed. I don't really use them and I wouldn't suggest tabs to anyone with a 10-12knot boat, the speed isn't there to utilize them.