Thoughts on provincial 42

Discussion in 'Found Boats For Sale' started by F/V Andiamo, Feb 8, 2017.

1. marktore

marktore Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Currently boatless...
    Someone in my marina just picked one up from Cape Cod. He hasn't run it much yet but I could get you some real feedback during this season if you haven't bought one already. The only thing I can tell you is sitting at the dock the bow is HUGE (that's what she said)! His boat has a small wheelhouse so the deck space is amazing, tons of room for gear. Keep us in the loop...

MT

2. Provincial

Provincial Senior Member

I've included a quote from one of our build threads illustrating the foam, the foam we use absorbs no water.

1 person likes this.
  3. Provincial

Provincial Senior Member

Some pictures showing the deck being built.

1 person likes this.
  4. mudhake

mudhake Captain

Thank you provincial.. Again there are people voicing opinions that have no idea what they are talking about. I bought a 44 ft Carl Trentholm last year with all foam stringers and bulkheads and a solid glass deck. Rugged and great sea boat. Huge bow whith a big flair and a super dry boat. I think very similer to your old 42, just a little bigger.

5. mudhake

mudhake Captain

By the way the boat swings a 34 inch wheel.

6. leaky

leaky Captain

Tough crowd around here - was right on 80% about what I said and because I was wrong about some details on the foam coring, that translates to "no idea" what I'm talking about - jeeze.

They even confirmed the platform is built outside the boat like I said it was.

Jon

7. Provincial

Provincial Senior Member

I will PM you a list of 42' owners in the U.S. that you can talk to.

8. tunawishing

tunawishing Senior Member

I have owned two 42 provincials and have been on a lot of other boats any questions feel free to ask and there are a lot of people that have no idea what there talking about they just assume it's Canadian it's a novi Gordon the owner is one of the nicest boat builders I have ever dealt with

3 people like this.
  9. Lobstareric

Lobstareric Member

Ive got a 43 Donelle for sale figured I'd throw it out there

F/V Andiamo likes this.
  10. Lobstareric

Lobstareric Member

This is my Donelle

Attached Files:

Bill likes this.
  11. F/V Andiamo

F/V Andiamo Member

Boat Make:
    33 Crowley Beal
    Thanks, but I just bought a 45 MDI.

tunawishing and Brainey like this.
  12. Lobstareric

Lobstareric Member

Ok thanks

13. wiseguy

wiseguy Member

Hi guys i was wondering how the twin engine version rides compared to the single screw. I am looking at a twin sabre version that mihht come up for sale here in the caribbean. Going to do a sea trial soon. The concerns i have gotten from mechanics is that most of them say i will have to repower which offcourse is expensive. The reason they say repower until now is that apparently parts or not easy to get and nobody knows here if you can overhaul them.
    Any info on the twin engines would be appreciated, i also wonder what would you guys would recommend to repower with?
    The boat ia well maintained, and looks like it’s build to withstand the test of time.
    I would to start a charter business with it so, curious to how it’s drifts, and how dry it is.

14. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    There is nothing wrong with wood construction if done right. I posted pic of a boat finished off in the early 90’s that the deck was framed and sheathed in PT 2X4 and plywood glassed over. It was a 31 BHM that was on its third full time lobsterman owner. The only reason they took the decks up was to get to the fuel tanks.

15. Seaway24

Seaway24 New Member

Nice commercial fishing family couple docks over from me has a fairly new 42' Provincial. They had the boat built a few years ago. They fish the boat hard year round in the Rhode Island area. This boat was setup with John Deere power. They fished a 34' DE hull prior to upgrading to the Provincial. I can get more detail if you would like. They love the boat.

16. leaky

leaky Captain

You can certainly do it right (or wrong) but a thoughtful builder probably isn't going to use wood today, most have phased out wood in all the molded parts - production boats with wood in them from the 90's typically remain very sound because they are fully encapsulated, done fairly "right", even though they are cheaper mass produced boats they do have a good design (as far as the lamination of wood-core parts) that is repeated, which is the key to quality...

Downeast boats on the other hand, what you got there is a rare exception, but whatever the case 2X4's and plywood is the cheap way to do it and not the best way - say you are dropping 200K+ on a boat - does it make sense to shave $5000 on labor and materials and frame with 2X4's and plywood, versus coosa and fiberglass stock? To me that would seem penny wise and dollar dumb.

Jon

17. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I agree to that point in this day and age building with anything put composite is to some degree foolish. My point was if you find a used boat with PT 2X4 framing and plywood sheathing glassed over I wouldn’t run away from it.
    In some cases I have wood in cased in glass disintegrate because someone ran a screw or dozen into it and didn’t seal them. The wood gets wet but cant dry because it’s wrapped in glass and gets no air.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  18. leaky

leaky Captain

See what you get for feedback on the ride but my issue w/ twin inboards, unless there is something protecting the props somehow, they tangle up nearly anything you run over. Where we are if you are running in the dark you are going to run over lobster gear, no matter how careful you are. Single screw downeasts typically pass right over it, twin inboard boats typically wind it up - you can put cutters on there but they are a passive solution, often you wind stuff up anyway. The sportfish boats I've fished on this is a major risk in the dark, to the point where owners really hate running in the dark.

Jon

wiseguy likes this.
  19. wiseguy

wiseguy Member

Hey thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reaction had some issues with my phone. I guess that part wouldn''t be an issue for me as i would use it more for charter fishing in the carribbean and we don't really have issue with stuff in the water. As far as I can see the only reason not to get the twins would be extra maintanence and running costs. I can't imagine the boat handling much different as the provincials seem to have the engines relatively in the middle.
    I still have to see if I can get a ride on the boat, but when i have i will let you guys know my experience. In the meantime if anyone knows if there is any provincial in the florida area for sale let me know, it will save me at least 8000$ on shipping etc I would have to ship the boat from miami to Curacao or sail it down.

strikecharters likes this.