Transducer Mount for Trailerable Inboard

Discussion in 'Marine Electrical / Electronics' started by Blackfindan, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Blackfindan

Blackfindan Senior Member

Boat Make:
    1977 24' Blackfin Combi (sold)
    We have a new to family 22 ft shamrock inboard (1999) center console toted around on roller trailer.

It’s not a downeast, but at least I don’t have to fish this year from the inflatable.

Boat does not have a depthsounder.

Any recommendations on how to mount a transducer? Can’t really do a through hull because the trailer rollers touch the entire hull as it rolls on/off the trailer.

I know you can’t do a transom mount because of the prop wash.

Any solutions for this?

2. Captinlon

Captinlon Member

Boat Make:
    32 H & H
    don't know much about how their hulls are constructed, could you do a in hull (shoot threw) I know they are not the best, but I honestly don't know. I know if you have a solid hull (no core) I would consider it

3. Blackfindan

Boat Make:
    Thank you. Had not thought of that.

I think it is a solid glass hull. I will check into that. I am not the owner, I will just pay the fuel bill.

Anyone have a recommendation on a particular model transducer for this?

4. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    Ya better call our in house electronics nerd/guru "Wharf Rat" chris will get ya rigged up right. I have a airmar shoot thru hull 1kw transducer in my rig and it worked great right down to 1000 ft. at least thats as deep as i tried setting my shrimp pots. By the way i also have a regular through hull transducer and i trailer the boat, the transducer fits right between the bunks no problem.

5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Cap. you CAN use a transom mount with no problems. I use one and can read mud bottom in 100 Fathoms at 20 Kts. That's with a 600 watt sounder. I can post a pic. if you want.

6. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Captain

Radar Tech
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    OPB
    If you don't want to use a transom mount or in hull, you can use any of the Airmar tilted element transducers, they were designed with an internally tilted element so they would sit flush to the hull, no fairing block and no issues when trailering the boat. They make them in 12 degree and 12 degree versions, and based on the dead rise of the potential transducer location, you'd go with the angle closest to that deadrise. The B60 transducer was the first 50/200 Khz solution and is still kicking; they've come out with some larger CHIRP versions like the B75M & B175 but those would be overkill on that boat.

http://www.airmar.com/uploads/Brochures/b60.pdf

steveinak likes this.
  7. Blackfindan

Boat Make:
    Thanks for the replies

Would the trailer roller damage the airmar transducer on contact?