Trolling with carbed 2 stroke?

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by Bearcat, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Bearcat

Bearcat Member

Boat Make:
    BW Outrage 21 Twin Bearcat 55's, Dyer 29
    Just picked up a boat with twin Johnson 100's - I believe they're 1991 Or '92. I do a lot of trolling and if the motors check out ok that's the plan for this season. The OMC 90 degree V4 has a great reputation for reliability but does anyone have experience idling them for several hours at a time? Wondering if they load up and foul out after a little while like the carbed V6's. I know they won't run like E-tec's or 4 strokes but if they work reasonable well I'd like to use them.

2. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    I think Leaky would be a good person to field this question. Much more of an outboard guy than I am. I know back in my teens I used to hand haul lobster traps that required a bit of idling while hauling and between traps. I never had an issue because I always nailed it between fishing area's.

3. Bearcat

Bearcat Member

Boat Make:
    Thanks Jerry, hopefully he'll comment on this.

4. WoundUpMarine

WoundUpMarine Captain

1st Engineer, Seadrill Americas
    Boat Make:
    34 Libby, 14 Holland
    I would think idling for a few hours would be hard on an older 2 stroke. Any chance you could troll on one engine running it harder than if you ran on two?

5. Diesel Jerry

Diesel Jerry Captain

Marine Diesel Mechanic and Systems Technician
    or buy a small 4 stroke kicker?

6. leaky

leaky Captain

The guys at scream & fly are very sharp w/ older outboards and might know a little more on your particular model or be able to offer some solutions if it is a problem (ie hotter plugs, different gap, or jetting maybe).

Just about everyone has had a carb 2 stroke or a dozen(s) :) so probably has experienced this. My experience is it varies a lot model to model - some are much better about not loading up than others. Even some carbed 4 strokes seem to get annoyed with a long period of idle. Unfortunately I think those OMC crossflow V4's like you have are not all that great at extended idle, but you do have about the latest & greatest they ever produced so it's possible they worked that kink out.

Generally speaking if your trolling is dead idle, ie ~600 RPM, it can load up a carbed 2-stroke, but if your trolling is just a touch above that they tend to stay happy; we used to troll all day on a pair of OMC 60 degree V6's at ~900 RPM and those engines did not mind it one bit.

With 2 of them as WoundUpMarine points out, you might find you can run on one engine w/ the RPM above an idle a bit, or if they are good enough to go 20 minutes at a time it might not be much of an issue to switch engines and use the warm up lever to clean out the loaded-up engine in neutral.

Jon

7. Bearcat

Bearcat Member

Boat Make:
    Do you know where scream and fly are located or how I could contact them? I'd be trolling with one motor and adding a kicker to a 21 with twins wouldn't really fit well. Thanks.

8. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
  9. restless

restless Captain

Running good [NGK} spark plugs will go a long way.

10. OLD BAY

OLD BAY Captain

Boat Make:
    Wasque 32
    We have a Johnson crossflow on our Boston Whaler and idle it extensively. Maybe not hours and hours, but certainly more than an hour. I’ve never had the plugs foul. I do clean them regularly, but they always look good, no carbon build up. Mine seems to run better warmed up, so make sure the t-stats close. You can tell if they close if (when running out of the water with muffs on) when she gets warm raw water starts flowing out of more ports on the lower unit. Great motor.

11. WMhunts

WMhunts Member

I have a pair of 91 yamaha 200s and they idle fine. I dont troll, but they often run for long periods of time just popping in & out of gear fighting giants & bait fishing

12. xbskt

xbskt Captain

electrician
    Boat Make:
    28 Crowley Beal
    Good enough for this guy.
    twin 200.jpg

13. Bearcat

Bearcat Member

Boat Make:
    This is all good news. I always liked two strokes in outboards, sleds and dirt bikes and I hate to junk something that works and spend a ton more just to have the latest and greatest. For the past ten years or so I've been trolling with a pair of 1968 Bearcat 55's, - never had to get towed home or even limp home on one motor, though I was never the first guy on the fish or the first guy back to the dock. 19 mph wasn't quite enough when it started to blow and we were 15 miles from port.