Tuna 2017 running report

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by JasonD, May 26, 2017.

1. Tuna Hooker

Tuna Hooker Member

Not much you can really do except reel them up and clean them regularly.

2. leaky

leaky Captain

Yah - same guys came in with 2 the other day, you can't win them all I guess. I remember one trip when we lost 3 fish 3 different ways and had like 5 hours into fighting fish and were beat with nothing to show for it, was getting really frustrating. Usually though I figure if you aren't loosing them you aren't hooking them either and that's the hardest part. On that trip we did eventually get one that was a probably a grander before it's last shit, of all things was like 9 at night we were trying to cook steaks and it ate a little tinker mack set back on a trash bag :).

Jon

HUNTHARD likes this.
  3. leaky

leaky Captain

Ditto - check the lines a lot, may require a check every 20 minutes even. Quickest way is to use a rag to push all the slime down to the crimp by the leader then work it off by sorta pushing it to the crimp and tearing it off - similarly from the hook up slide the line through the rag to push it up to the swivel then work the crud out - do not get lazy at the end of the day about it either as it will harden and really adhere to your gear.

Jon

CornerOffice likes this.
  4. coddock

coddock Senior Member

Nope, we were giant fishing. Fish ended up being 105"

5. ForTUNAte Son

ForTUNAte Son Member

Is anyone doing anything new or innovative to color crimps? I use a Sharpie to blackout my crimps but the color wears off throughout the day. This isn't a big deal, as I can dry and re-color, but it got me thinking about using heat shrink tubing or something more durable. Do you think the scent from the Sharpie is noticeable, or am I over thinking this entire process in general?

getthenet likes this.
  6. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

I used to color mine with a sharpie but then found that electrical tape worked better. I use a specific type, stretchy and thin, and it works well.

7. baitnh

baitnh Member

try black oxidizing them you can get kits on line

8. leaky

leaky Captain

I can't imagine the sharpie hurts anything but ditto on what he said too - they seem to wear off, I like quality electrical tape - 3M super 33 is a very thin sticky stretchy tape that says on there better.

Ripcat likes this.
  9. Cdux

Cdux Member

Black shrink tubing for crimps

As for slime, fish 3 in the water instead of 4, & near constantly cycle them. That way I alway have a clean one on hand to deploy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Cdux,
    JasonD likes this.
  10. baitnh

baitnh Member

even better I like that idea

11. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

When you guys use shrink tube...doesn't that get a little sketchy putting heat that close to your leader or mono? I use the heat shrink butt connectors on everything i do electrically on my boat and i don't think i'd want to apply that much heat to my fishing line but maybe i'm off base.

12. Cdux

Cdux Member

Like most things with fishing & life; its all in the technique. Pre shrink the mono side & shield with your fingernails doing the rest.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    Cdux,
  13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I use a black paint stick. Touch anything with it and it dries almost instantly, with no wear off. Hooks, crimps, whateva. Its just an slightly oversized laundry marker only with fast dry paint. I don't like the idea of shrink tube for giants if you are trying to be as stealth as possible. Some days they will eat a tin can. On days when they are shy, being as steath as possible might pan out still. I would blame the shrink tube. I don't ever use the full size crimp for that same reason. Fish that have been hooked before are smarter too.

14. leaky

leaky Captain

I like the paint idea may try that, actually have at least one black paint stick kicking around I use for something else..

As far as the heat & shrink tube, mono and flouro is fairly robust stuff, for years I used superglue on my finger splices because that's just how you did it then somebody said "won't that eat the mono?".. Got me a little worried but I figure if it was gonna eat the mono it would've already, never had a problem with one of those with the glue, so I still use the glue - maybe some other guy finds a glue that eats the mono, maybe some other guy melts the mono trying to set the tube, I dunno. The tape is gonna be smaller diameter next to the paint though, but the tape sometimes comes off.

Jon

15. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB

16. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    blow on the paint thin as can be.

17. leaky

leaky Captain

What I meant by that is thinner than the shrink tube, thicker than the paint.

18. Ms.Aimee

Ms.Aimee Senior Member

Whenever i fish with my boss he puts about 6 wraps of electrical tape on the hook crimp so you have this big glob right next to your bait presentation.. it drives me nuts. Im going to try the paint stick next time im out

19. Cdux

Cdux Member

Ground fishing charter Saturday, they showed up early so didn't get to slip the 130s onboard, that was a mistake. Right at slack the sounder lights up, & had this going on for 10 minutes:
    20170715_111312.jpg

Figure they were picking off our shorts on the way back down. Took a lot of restraint not to pull the shark rig off the 50 and send her down. They did grab 2 cod jigs, which was short lived and now got a pair of 114s in sick bay awaiting new drag washers.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    Cdux,
  20. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    Went out Saturday around 4 pm. Planned to put in a 24 hour tour on the NWC but it was loaded with dogfish. Tried to fish through them but they depleted my bait rather quickly throughout the night. a couple hours after sunrise switched gears and went on the pogy slow troll well south. No dice this time. Radio chatter indicated I picked the wrong corner. Again lol.