Tuna 2017 running report

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by JasonD, May 26, 2017.

1. Cdux

Cdux Member

Havent seen much while groundfishing on southern Jefferies the last few trips except lots of slime.

Travelling thru ipswich bay the other day and was loaded with gannetts & corys.

Taking the mate out Sunday for a final try before he heads back to school. No idea where, might give Little Freddy my chart & a crayon, he'll probably do better picking a spot, than I have, certainly no worse.

Cdux,
  2. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I'll be in the same neighborhood Sunday, leaving dock Sunday afternoon for a 3 day trip. I wish that slim would go away.

3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    They call that slime sea pussy!

4. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

Hearing some rumors that there's a shut down coming until 9/1...sounds like mid-week they will announce. Finally a smart move...as Downrigga says...save some quota for when they are ripe!

5. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    If they don't shut it down quickly there wont be any quota left.

6. leaky

leaky Captain

It's good they are doing something but the way the whole thing has worked out is kinda insane - 4 fish a day we kill the quota for a couple months, cut it back to 2 fish when the fishing is a little slower, now a shutdown.

Hopefully they learn from this and next year we keep it at some smaller daily limit without the feat & famine.

Jon

7. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    They will learn nothing from this. They don't care.
    Start the harpoon quota on June 1st. The harpoon guys are smart enough to manage their own quota. Start the general Sept one and give two fish per day. October make it 3 fish per day and give us more quota we deserve it.

8. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Lots of opinions on this and they are all good ones . That said I personally find it hard to beat the government up for continuing to allow U.S. fisherman to continue fishing. For years all we have seen is a government that restricts and handcuffs fishermen. Granted the price blows for the most part but I do not believe its going to be a gold rush if we wait until they are fat before catching and selling them. The rules guarantee a September fishery as well as a November/December fishery.
    I do believe that the daily retention limit could have been cut back sooner but I also think if we as fishermen were day fishing instead of multi day fishing in order to catch all four fish then the price COULD improve. The bottom line problem is that we need more U.S. quota... Same as it ever was.

Capt Dave likes this.
  9. leaky

leaky Captain

I hear you but to be honest I'd rather get 5 bucks a lb in July & August than 10 a lb in Sept & Oct. I just think the 4 fish a day stuff needs to get dialed back to 1 or 2.

Every scary story I've got from tuna fishing has been weather related and happened after Sept 1. Sure the fishing can be great and I will go into November if we can but I'm happy to see it filled and to have things trickling down in October, not to mention some years they just disappear after that.

Lots of small boats in this fishery too, not a good thing to tell everyone they gotta go in the fall.

Jon

10. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I don't understand your logic.

11. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Yep. Confused myself.

12. leaky

leaky Captain

I'm saying the weather tends to be worse starting in September, it's lower stress tuna fishing in July and August when the winds are generally calmer and prevail south & west.

The time I smashed out my windows and filled the cockpit nearly to the gunnels and put out a mayday that was october, the time we wokeup drifting beam-to breaking 6 footers with like 1000 gallons of water in the bilge that was september, the time it kicked up real bad unexpectedly and had to seek safe harbor in scituate instead of gloucester in the dark that was october, in the dark in october having a swell set the keel down on the bottom when crossing the bar etc.. etc.. That shit doesn't tend to happen in July & August and there are a lot of small boats in the bluefin tuna fishery who are either going to be taking big risks to get out in the fall or would only be able to go on very few occasions.

I agree they ought to do a better job throttling our use of the quota, even if we cut it down to certain days in the nice months, but I think a lot of people would not want to see the rod and reel fishery begin in Sept. Come Oct 15th it starts getting tricky just to keep your boat in the water in many places, marinas want to start pulling the docks out.

Jon

13. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Sounds to me like you need to pick better weather windows to fish Jon. We have questionable weather every month. The boats you speak of that "take risks", wouldn't wait until October to take risks.

Historically, this was never a small boat fishery. Historically, October has always been a excellent month for BFT. They have much better shape, and fat content if they can get on the herring which is another major problem. This is the only saving grace that separates our fish from farm fish. In the future, you won't come close to competing with farm fish, domestically or at the auctions. Farm fish are going to destroy returns in this fishery. Only diamond fish will have good returns.

If you would rather get 5 bucks a pound instead of 10 bucks a pound because your worried about north wind, that is a head scratcher for me. If you ran a business with that logic you would be out of business. There are plenty of fishable days in October. You don't need to take risks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 1:33 PM
  14. dexterdog

dexterdog Member

We flood the market in July or we flood the market in October, take your pick. Access to farmed fish year round is destroying our once healthy market. For me I'd rather go when the weather is nice. Highest price I've ever gotten was on July 23rd.

15. leaky

leaky Captain

Sure you can have nice days but picking days in October is just harder, we will set aside 3 days a week and sometimes we can go 2 or 3 weeks without having decent weather fall on those days. Sometimes you gotta go when it's rough or you won't at all, usually it's day trips in the windows you get while trying to rationalize what the forecast means when they say something like a small craft advisory and seas 3 to 5 - poke the bow out of the harbor to see what it's like, touch & go, sometimes you go, sometimes you turn around, pack warm clothes and wear the rubbers so you don't start going hypothermic when you get wet, that's fall fishing.

July & August are just much lower stress fishing - most of the time you can go, there are only typically short periods of bad weather, you can usually pick a few days a week ahead of time and can leave the night before, it's certainly easier to catch when you can spend a couple days on the water and are comfortable and getting good sleep, waking up at first light with bait in the tank and lines in the water etc. etc.. Shorts, a t-shirt, and sneakers - when you back down on a fish and get wet it's refreshing, I don't gotta get paid as much to do that and wouldn't want to give it up.

I agree they ought to keep us from flooding the market in July & August, but that could be done without keeping the season closed; I doubt there would be much support for keeping it closed until Sept. I'm actually not sure up in Maine for instance if they even have consistent fishing past Sept. This year is different, things got totally f'd because we were given 4 fish when there were lots of fish around, but I still question a shutdown - they could leave it at 1 fish for Sunday through Tuesday or something like that without us flooding the market.

Jon

16. Ripcat

Ripcat Senior Member

If you following the Tsukiji market site...most of those farm fish never sell. I've seen days when they send 100 fish and almost all of them go unsold. I have no idea how unsold fish affects the market but the quality of those fish obviously sucks. I have seen some of the Boston fish go unsold this season but the ratio is a lot better than the Mexico and Japanese farmed fish.

17. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    We have little quota compared to what we used to have. Prices were supported in the 90's and we sent lots more fish to the auction. I guess it depends on what you consider flooding the market. We are certainly catching a lot less fish and putting a lot of junk fish on the dock. Perhaps now that you are moving into a DE hull, you will be able to get out of the harba more. Good thing you don't play pond hockey! :D

18. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    They get sold in the same way the unsold Boston fish get sold. They don't go to waste. Aussies sent 97 and 47 went unsold. This is our future.

19. Cdux

Cdux Member

Fished north side of ipswich bay yesterday. Looked good rolling up, birds, bait, whales, some jag off left his ball on top of the hump (presumably to run 2 fish in and come back out). Then we did a bait check... 20170813_085025.jpg
    Thats a half hour soak at 20 fathom. Insanely slimy

Cdux,
  20. Ms.Aimee

Ms.Aimee Senior Member

That sucks. Was at northern jeffries this weekend, slime was present but notnover bearing