Tuna bombs

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Cdux, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Isn't a mouse trap a lot easier to use than a tuna bomb?

2. leaky

leaky Captain

A balloon slider is a sinker slider, except you only use the plastic piece and connect a balloon to the eye on the slider, then use an elastic cinched down on the line to keep the slider from sliding when you are set at the right depth.

Provided it's not so rough it pushes the balloons the opposite way and lifts the bait off the bottom, that setup holds the depth and allows you to reel the elastic right into the spool, so you don't gotta keep re-counting your depth.

See what he says on the bead type but I assume it's just a big plastic bead to prevent the crimp & slider from getting into the rod tip (and possibly jamming). Basically he isn't using wind on leaders so is making sure they can't wind on.

Jon

3. leaky

leaky Captain

Easier yes but isn't exactly stealthy when you put something like that on a small live bait.

What I wonder with mouse traps is exactly how long you gotta go with the cable to make it reliable - some I've seen are only a foot, seems short to me, but when I get chewed off I never know how it was hooked. Sometimes I'm sure it's just barely inside the mouth and 6 inches would do it, other times I wonder if its actually down in the gut someplace where a foot won't help.

Jon

4. VCF

VCF Senior Member

I got it, thanks

VCF,
  5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Leaky, this is the rig i was talking about.

#1 is the bomb attached to the mainline.

#2 is a close up of attachment (bomb to mainline) . According to depth im fishing i use 8 fathoms up from bait for 30 to 40 Fathom and sometimes in 50 fathoms or more use 10 fathoms up.

#3 is the rubber band stop at depth your bait will set at. followed with the bead and slider & balloon.

#4 just shows the size rubber bands i use. (about 1" dia. bicycle tube cut into 3/16" strips.)

#5 is just how i hook up. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. leaky

leaky Captain

Thanks for that - bicycle tube elastics is a damn good idea.

Is that the standard rig you guys use?

strikecharters likes this.
  7. Tuna Pursuit

Tuna Pursuit Captain

Self Employeed
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    Thunnus
    Old Mud, what hook is that?

8. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    It's the standard rig that I use. don't know anyone else that uses them. I like them because they don't hang up on the guides.

TP, that's a Owner 10/0 ringed Super Mu Tu. I use for live bait. 9/0 for stichers.

9. F/V Bad Influence

F/V Bad Influence Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wayne Beal
    so now i'll mix it up some more....Don et al. where is your drag level set while waiting? up at strike pin? back low? I have pulled way to many hooks this year! Used to set at pin,,,then we went back to little drag on bite and bring up...fishing super mutu...pulling hair out!:confused:

10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    I set my drags at 35# right at (not on) the pin. that way i know what i have just over the pin and at full. With softer rods you can go more but that's what works for me. Something to remember is on big fish if you get down to 1/2 spool the drag will increase. Way way down even more so. Those are always good tests to do end of season when your stripping your reels down.

How many # drag ? Are you fishing live bait or rigged ? Are you pulling hooks or parting off ? Swivels or no swivels ? Ringed hooks or plain ?

11. VCF

VCF Senior Member

Old Mud- Is that tape on the ballon line? Is that there just to hold the ballon on instead of crimping or tying it?

VCF,
  12. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Yes tape, that's one of those crappy sliders that has the snap with a sharp end facing out. Bouncing around for a while will pop the balloon. I usually just twist those in with pliers but when i forget well it gets tape. :D

The balloon is tied to the wire ring.

13. VCF

VCF Senior Member

Thanks, Also I see that your hook leader and main is attached with a heavy duty barrel swivel, does the Tuna Bomb pass over that with no problem?

VCF,
  14. Ms.Aimee

Ms.Aimee Senior Member

That tuna bomb is bigger than i expected. Say if the line went slack, that may add just enough drag in the water to keep the hook still nice and tight.

strikecharters likes this.
  15. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    V, yes the swivel is a Sprow #5 380 LB. the tubing is 3/8" id. so it slides right over. That's why i bell mouth the bottom of the tubing.

Ms A, that lead is 1 1/2" x 4". 1 1/2 lbs. I try NOT to let the line go slack. :D

16. coddock

coddock Senior Member

Personally, I hate those super mutu's too!! We have never had the best luck with them, and after losing 18 giants to pulled hooks last year I will never use them again! Once again, just my opinion... We switched to the TroKar's and Gamakatsu live bait hooks this year and our ratio went way up compared to last year...

17. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I make mine about 24" long but then again I'm using them on dead baits and they seem to do the job. You have a great point with live bait.

18. leaky

leaky Captain

Ok I guess that's about what I've been doing.. Started playing around with them on dead baits - using an owner jobu 8/0 and 9/0 (depending on the size of the bait) I'm using 2 ft, and on smaller J hooks (for smaller baits) I'm using a little more than 1 ft..

No idea if it's right or wrong but my experimental design is I take a ring, crimp 270 lb 49 strand cable to that on one side & the hook on the other, then I coil up the cable tight and pinch it down so it follows the shank of the hook, electrical taping it on the top & bottom so it is tight to the shank (and working it in so the ring is right at the eye of the hook). I think use a little zip tie on the ring to the eye, which from tugging and loosening up the cable - the zip tie breaks at 10-20 lbs.

With that rig anyway it stays together nice until it gets a good tug, and then at least in my tests, at somewhere around 15 lbs the zip tie & then tape lets go. Unfortunately the first hookup we got it was not the experimental mouse trap that failed rather the 200 lb spectra :(. Came out of the cabin after hearing a drag going, unable to figure out which rod it was. Eventually figured it out and reeled it in, broke between tip & leader someplace.

Had been playing around with spectra on top, basically because it's nice and thin for running with small amounts of weight in the current and seemed kinda stealthy being so limp - but we broke all the ground rules. Said we wouldn't not run it at night or off the rod tip and if we every had it drag on the boat a bunch we'd need to cut back, instead we left it in the water while we slept, ran over it with the boat a couple times, fought sharks that ran up under the bow, wore up the top 50 yards a bunch then the first time it hooked we had the good old spectra mystery breakoff.

Jon

19. F/V RISE AN SHINE

F/V RISE AN SHINE Member

We use tuna bombs an they allways seem to land right up by there eye an when the fish wiped he's head it bounced off his eye driving the fish mad making them swim harder then normal ,like some guy reving his motor when he goes by scaring the fish needless putting pressure on the fish an crew .

20. F/V RISE AN SHINE

F/V RISE AN SHINE Member

Leaky use ever tryed a clove hitch on ur hooks like ur offshore loop .what u think about it ?ive done some strength test an stood up nicely.