Tuna running report

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by JasonD, May 26, 2017.

1. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    That's what i like to see, one foot in and one foot out !! You can get great leverage that way and it's more comfortable than standing. :)

2. leaky

leaky Captain

Haha actually I try to avoid it since your foot gets wet and if the line parts you can't get out of the way of the recoil. But it's comfortable when the line is going straight off the corner in this boat.

Back at the dock with another. Prob put up a pic later when it gets sent to me. Bite was a little slower but we got lucky and hooked 30 minutes after putting a bait in.

Jon

3. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    well looks like I made a $260.00 donation to mass fisheries this year. good luck guys, kill em all while you got time.
    I guess I'll have to plan my vaca earlier next year.

Bill Erbe likes this.
  4. leaky

leaky Captain

Sorry man, maybe go bang on the bigeyes and yellowfin instead?

5. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Jon if you know your foot is getting wet your not paying enough attention to the chore at hand. (Landing that fish). :) I never even think about it.

OH WAIT !, maybe because im Numb !! :eek:

6. leaky

leaky Captain

Ya I've lost enough fish so that while we are fighting them I'm usually minding the backup plan if that rod tip pops up - even making sure the livewell didn't airlock after we back down hard - some real funny conversations take place - "Hey the livewell stopped running" - "!@%!#$ the livewell why are you so damn worried about a few !#@$!# mackerel and a squid" :)

Jon

Old Mud likes this.
  7. HUNTHARD

HUNTHARD Captain

Produce Sales.
    Boat Make:
    42 WESMAC
    yeah we will go pound the yellows and try for a some swords. what's a big eye? :(

8. ForTUNAte Son

ForTUNAte Son Member

Damn, I've never had an experience with that many bites in a single day.

9. Tuna Hotline

Tuna Hotline Senior Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    we're done, tomorrow.

General category BFT fishery closing October 5; reopens December 1, 2017 at 1-fish limit
    NMFS closes the Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) General category fishery for large medium and giant BFT (measuring 73" curved fork length or greater) effective 11:30 p.m. local time on October 5, 2017, until it reopens on December 1, 2017. Based on the best available landings information for the General category BFT fishery, as well as recent and anticipated catch rates and fishing conditions, NMFS has determined that the General category October through November subquota will be reached by October 5, 2017, and that a closure is warranted at this time. Retaining, possessing, or landing large medium or giant BFT by persons aboard vessels permitted in the Atlantic tunas General and Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Charter/Headboat categories must cease at 11:30 p.m. local time on October 5, 2017, through November 30, 2017. The intent of this closure is to prevent overharvest of the available General category October through November BFT subquota and help ensure reasonable fishing opportunities in the December subquota time period. When the General category fishery reopens December 1, 2017, the daily retention limit will be one large medium or giant BFT (measuring 73” or greater) per vessel per day/trip. For further information, please go to: www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/news/breaking_news.html.

10. leaky

leaky Captain

We had some fun in the past week, ended up 4 for 5 on the Oct 1 "season"... On Thursday we almost kept the record perfect but the first fish got tied up in some lobster gear, got it out, and then were horsing it trying to keep it from going back and the leader parted - saw it a couple times just didn't manage a shot in time, then got a 2nd chance but the line was wrapped around the tip of the down rod and that just didn't last long :)..

Hopefully next year they manage the season a little better but I guess our Sept and Oct went OK, even though it was closed most of the time.

Jon

DaveAndJon.jpg

Cdux likes this.
  11. Blitzen

Blitzen Captain

Ex Merchant Marine
    Boat Make:
    36 Flowers and a 1991 Boston Whaler Outrage 19
    Were you on the old "INVADER" taking that picture?

12. leaky

leaky Captain

That is correct - Lizzie B now.

13. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Hey John, i like you new avatar better now that you have a closer pic. :)

Blitzen likes this.
  14. seavee capt

seavee capt Member

Wow, 60 MT gets caught in less than 5 days. Where the heck was this happening? Sure wasn't anywhere near where my lines were! Must have been some amount of boats on a nice bite. Happy for those who got in on the action, just wish quota was available when fish were available to us to the south.

15. leaky

leaky Captain

Isn't really that phenomenal if you consider a metric ton might be about 6 fish on average - 80 fish a day or so up and down the new england coast with hundreds of boats out there on the hunt.

There was a decent bite going in a bunch of areas from Maine down to the south shore of MA though, which probably contributed to it - we all had fish somewhere. It wasn't that crazy where I was except opening day - on opening day I remember sending a friend a text that said "this is ridiculous every other boat is hooked up".

Jon

buckfeva and CornerOffice like this.
  16. Thenthen

Thenthen Member

keep on fishing have some water always:)

17. JasonD

JasonD Senior Member

Fishing
    So... Who has heard what? Any rumors

18. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Heard Tantas earlier in the week but crowded & sharked up now. Quiet today on the radio. Guy next to us was off the ball for 45 minutes or so, & either dropped or big shark. We did have a hook come back sans bait, never took drag or saw the ballon bounce, but no tooth marks on leader.....
    Waiting for report from further offshore, but if it was good sure would heard by now

Cdux,
  19. Ms.Aimee

Ms.Aimee Senior Member

Platts usually blows up this time of year

20. ForTUNAte Son

ForTUNAte Son Member

I ran almost 80 miles round trip today around and off the eastern edge of Stellwagen. It was a waste of time and money.

dirwood likes this.