Tuna running report

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by JasonD, May 26, 2017.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

Platts has been even worse then that.

2. mackt1ts

mackt1ts Member

I have one
    Boat Make:
    one that floats
    Tuna shutting down Wednesday.

3. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    It's down on the cape too. That is your main line right and not your leader?

4. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

That's swivel connection to the leader; so 200# on the top right & 150# floru on the bottom. The leader was stretched & straight when she went in, but the slime must have gummed up the swivel causing the twists.

Side note on an older topic, the weekday crew hooked up yesterday, during a ground fishing charter only to have the 9/0 Owner Offshore hook snap at the shank 15 minutes in. Guess I got 2 weeks to find new hooks.

Cdux,
  5. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Owners hooks are the worst hooks on the planet.

6. leaky

leaky Captain

I recently lost 5 fish in a row w/ Trokars, I think they are at least a close 2nd.

capt.dan likes this.
  7. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    You usually at least get your hooks back with Trokars.

8. leaky

leaky Captain

Yep that's true - 4 out of 5 times we did :)

9. morgan1727

morgan1727 Senior Member

What kind of hook will you guys be switching to. It seems like those 2 names are very popular.

10. leaky

leaky Captain

I've never used Trokars until that day, the boat I was fishing with had been and had been doing great with them but obviously I'm not impressed.

I like VMC Nemesis 10/0, they are a touch bigger than an 8/0 super mutu but with thinner wire. They work fine with the drags I use but can be bent and will actually bend into a J hook without breaking. You can buy them by the 50 and even bigger packs for 60 cents a hook or less, sharp, good for a variety of baits, and stealthy. For normal conditions that's all I use with 150 lb or smaller leader, taken fish to 950 lbs on them.

If I'm using a kite I bump the leader up to 200# and switch to an owner jobu sized to the bait (always size the hook to the bait, always run a J on a kite and you may as well go up on the leader since it's out of the water mostly). If I'm running a larger bait (not on the kite) I go up to a 9/0 or 10/0 super mutu and if I was ever having such a day where it was obvious we could just pile them into the boat I'd probably be running the super mutu's with 200# or up leader - I love the VMC's but they are not the sort of hook you want to be going up over 50 lbs of drag with intentionally.

Jon

morgan1727 likes this.
  11. mackt1ts

mackt1ts Member

I have one
    Boat Make:
    one that floats
    Gamakatsu I prefer.

Downrigga likes this.
  12. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy
    Anyone try the Trokar J-hooks? I just got a pack of the 8/0 Hd live baits - they look like a meaner version of an Owner Gorilla but the wire looks a little thin.

13. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    News
    Last Updated: Sep 28, 2017
    NMFS Transfers 156.4 mt from Reserve Category to General Category to Account for Overharvests

NMFS adjusts the General category Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) quota by transferring 156.4 mt from the Reserve category, to account for overharvests of the January, June through August, and September subquotas. The allocated subquotas for October through November and for December are 60.7 mt and 8 mt, respectively. This action is intended to preserve the opportunity for General category fishermen to participate in the October through November and December General category fisheries to the extent that transferrable quota is available. Preliminary landings data as of September 22, 2017, indicate that the General category has landed 596 mt this year, which exceeds the overall General category quota of 506.7 mt. NMFS closed the General category fishery when the September subquota (123.7 mt) was met, effective September 17, 2017. Without a quota transfer at this time, the October through November and December General category subquotas would not be available to General category participants because the entire General category quota of 506.7 mt has been reached and exceeded. Therefore, NMFS adjusts the General category quota to 663.1 mt for the 2017 General category fishing season (i.e., through December 31, 2017, or until the General category quota is reached, whichever comes first), and adjusts the Reserve category quota to 0 mt. NMFS reminds General category participants that when the fishery reopens October 1, 2017, the BFT General category daily retention limit will be one large medium or giant BFT (measuring 73” or greater) per vessel per day/trip. For further information, please go to: www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/news/breaking_news.html.

14. gettes

gettes Member

Boat Make:
    Osmond Beal 36
    Well here's to hoping they can analyze their shortcomings in regulations from this year and remove cranium from posterior for next.

Tight lines.

SYo likes this.
  15. leaky

leaky Captain

Was kinda crazy out there today - buddy of mine lost 6 and got his 7th. Isn't going to stay open for long that's for sure.

We hooked one, Casper got his first tuna today.

casperFighttuna.jpg

casperTuna.jpg

SYo, Old Mud, Keelboater and 2 others like this.
  16. Jay c

Jay c Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31' Duffy
    Lost 6 in one day?

And Nice fish.

17. leaky

leaky Captain

Haha yep - not me this time - my record is only loosing 4 in one day - not a record you want to have either :)

18. hardcore1

hardcore1 Captain

doubt it will be open for us new york guys in december

19. hntrss

hntrss Captain

Commercial Fisheman/ marine mechanic
    Boat Make:
    31 Duffy
    Won't be open next week....

20. Cdux

Cdux Senior Member

Chubby is estimating 15 ton caught yesterday over all based on their #s by share of the market.

Cdux,