Tuna Tracking for 2018

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by Blitzen, Mar 23, 2018.

1. greg

greg Captain

It turned out to be just a nice boat ride. I still had fun.

Short story, trolled from above the dump to nw corner, explored the area, headed west to the butterfish hole, hit habbs ledge, the cartwright and the cia grounds.

Didn't see one bird feeding (and scarce few at all), not one whale, not one porpoise, not one mahi, and no bait balls or bait of any kind on the sonar, or anything resembling a fish, even in a cloud. I couldn't even catch weeds - the baits stayed clean.

Put about 175 nm under the keel.

Longer story, I finally got a new sst update last night and the break that was to the east of the dump was gone. There was a sliver of warm water coming in from the west touching the nw corner. Everything else was chilled.

I decided to check it anyway. Bft's look for food, not warm water. There wasn't any food. Anywhere. The bait must be on holiday. The water over the dump was low 60's and uniform.

There was chatter on the radio that large bft's were taken at the coimbra, texas tower, and other spot that escapes me right now. West was the direction to try but I didn't see anything anywher.

Conditions were fac until I got north of block, and then the wind kicked up and it got snotty.

Still a good mental health day. Everything worked perfectly, with the continued exception of capt otto, who is in rehab awaiting a part.

Without otto, setting and changing the spread was challenging solo but ok since it was so calm.

And with that, I'm going to bed early. Either that or pass out, which is always an option. [​IMG]

greg,
  2. greg

greg Captain

Looks like water and wx are lining up for sun-next week. Really, wx is fac through weds, and looks fishable all week.

And great water is over veatch, plus the atl's look good.

Looking for crew. Anyone up for a boat ride? ;)

greg,
  3. greg

greg Captain

Ok, I had a curveball hit me in the head. I have to travel this week leaving tuesday. So I'm limited to day trip.

It's looking like we will leave sunday evening and be on target before first light, then home again monday evening. Choices are either sw of montauk for bft or just under the lanes above atlantis, for whatever.

greg,