Turbo, TAMD63P

Discussion in 'Downeast Engine Room' started by Mike The Mechanic, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Mike The Mechanic

Mike The Mechanic Member

Any one eva have any luck with the Chinese look a like. My experience with new Turbo not goin so great. Just curious if its me or the turbo.

2. 05bill

05bill Senior Member

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    do you have a lot of turbo "whine" on that volvo tamd 63 p ? is it a good engine,strong ,long lasting and the important thing can you get parts for it ?

thanks
    bill

3. Mike The Mechanic

Mike The Mechanic Member

The original Turbo spooled up well and had the typical and noticeable high pitch. However, the turbo casting was badly corroded and this year we decided to replace it. We sailed really late season waiting for this Chinese turbo I found on e-bay at a good price it broke the shaft 20min out. They sent a replacement and that one blew up yesterday

4. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power....28 Henriques SF with twin Volvo 41P 200 power
    Mike,

I think the original turbo for the 63P is a Borg Warner. I know the original turbos on the 41Ps are ?
    I had the turbos on my 41Ps rebuilt by a place in Illinois...both came back "as new".

I try and stay away from the Chinese "junk" but sometimes ya have no choice.

Hope you get it straightened out.

Keep us posted,

Bill D

5. 05bill

05bill Senior Member

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    Are you having difficulty getting oem parts for that engine ? I know that Volvo discontinued manufacturing it.

6. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power....28 Henriques SF with twin Volvo 41P 200 power
    not at all...all parts are still available....but with ALL Volvo Penta parts a bit pricey

7. Mike The Mechanic

Mike The Mechanic Member

Thank you Bill,

I'm thinking I might put my old one back on. It has been insane second Chinese turbo blew up Saturday and because I though I had lost all confidence in my abilities, paid the authorized Volvo dealer $750.00 to go on sea trials Friday and double check our installation. They checked boost pressures at different rpm gave a seal of approval and sold me a new air filter. I'm shell shock at this point. 165k Northern Bay that has not been out all summer :-(

8. 05bill

05bill Senior Member

Boat Make:
    rp, willis beal
    Did you finish your post ? Did you just buy this boat ? Did you get it fixed ?

Bill

9. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Boat Make:
    Bill,

So there's no confusion.....I have had no problems with obtaining parts/components for my 41PA 200 hp Volvos.

Mike's 63Ps are the bigger block version of similar vintage.
    I'm "assuming" parts/components are available.

10. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

I bought a new turbo for my TAMD 63P last year. The housing on my original turbo was badly corroded and I didn't think a rebuild would get it back up to new specs. It was somewhere around $2200. The 63P's have a healthy turbo whine when running right.

11. Brooksie

Brooksie Captain

Boat Make:
    Bruno-Stillman 35
    Skip over Volvo and get what you need from the turbo manufacturer of the original turbo. Take the numbers off it and find what you need online. A new housing should be available for any of the major manufacturers turbo's.
    Chinese: Good food, lovely women, forget everything else.

tailhook likes this.
  12. Bill_N

Bill_N Captain

I tried that route. I can't speak to other engine manufacturers but at least with Volvo it was not easy. The p/n on my old turbo was not the same as on the new turbo. I was told there are some improvements in the new turbo. There are some visible differences but I don't know that Volvo didn't change p/n's just to make it more difficult to obtain parts from other sources.

I found a turbo rebuild shop that said they thought they could get a new casting but the price of the rebuild with new casting was about 2/3 of what the new turbo cost me. I had a short window to get the job done last spring and didn't think it was worth chancing part of my season on it.

Good luck!