Twisted Leader

Discussion in 'Tuna Talk' started by coddock, Aug 12, 2017.

1. coddock

coddock Senior Member

I'm looking for some input from anyone on here to see if they have seen this happen before... After fighting a giant after 4 hours (and losing it 30 feet from the boat), the leader broke about 3 feet from the hook. When I reeled in the rest of the line, the end of leader (180 seaguar blue label) was coiled in probably 1 inch coils for about 4-5 inches on the leader. In that 4-5 inches, the leader was extremely tight, almost like heat was applied to it. We saw the fish on top next to the boat and it was easily over 100". We thought it was wrapped around the pec fin but that's too far back on the fish for that to be the case. It also looks like it when you strip a piece of ribbon and it twists real tight. Who knows.... I've never seen this before and neither has the captain of the boat who has been giant fishing for 40+ years.

Attached Files:

2. Badlatitude

Badlatitude Captain

Oddly enough we had a weird leader twisted back up itself and the line recently (not fishing bluefin) the Spro swivel (freshly rigged out of the package) was completely locked up. Holding it in my hands I couldn't turn it. held one end with pliers and i could barely turn it with my fingers.

3. leaky

leaky Captain

My guess is it was all twisted up in the water when the fish hit it and then it got pulled ultra tight, sometimes you get those twists/tangles that look almost like a dropper loop which will uncoil by pulling on the line but without tension just keep getting progressively worse as the bait swims around.

Another possibility is when you over stress line to the point of breaking it can snarl, especially if you actually break it. How you do that with 180 lb not sure but maybe a combination of a little pre-twist followed by tons of stress.

Jon

4. plowin

plowin Captain

Firefighter/Half Assed Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    33' flowers
    Got wrapped up in something looks to me.

5. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    Three feet back? Looks to me like your leader got caught under the gill plate and chaffed off after a 4 hour battle. The twist can happen right where it parts due to the tremendous tension on the line when it snaps. 4 hours is a long time for a leader under stress.

tuna_fan likes this.
  6. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    I agree with Downrigga, Twisting as result from stretch failure, as the line stretches in failure mode it heats up then rapidly cools in the water contracting and curling up.

7. F/V RISE AN SHINE

F/V RISE AN SHINE Member

Hi cap down rigger I have a question ? I run 200 lb jinki top shot mono I was thinking about just running pure sea guar 150 lb floro on my down rod I know it will be $ expensive but mu question is have you or anyone done this or are doing this .an I run my sinker about 10 ft above my swivel 3 fathom leaders what you think ?an do you run more then one down rod ?sowed on baits .any help will great ley appreciated .ive caught 20 fish over the years an it's allway changing allways seem the fish get finicky.when we first started we were useing hand lines 300 mono milk jugs ,2 litter soda bottles,long line clips J hooks welded eyes .penns 130h to st,an A .too shimos Tigris ,Afco rollers no more broom sticks .i change my leader length on the conditions of the weather .still is going too sound real stupid bare with me .floro top shot no swivel just a hook super moto ringed hook .one crimp you think it work or twist out .iam just thinking about super stealth less crap in the water .i have seen when one fish we caught 106 inches 680 lb just had mackerel tails in him nothen else wouldn't eat no other chum .an he was real slow throught the water looking everthing over we watched him Cruze around .it was awesome wish I had a cam back then . Any thoughts need some new knowledge .this old bog needs some new tricks.

8. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I cant speak for anyone else. Most people use mono top shots. I use floro top shots and have for many years. Just not a fan of mono in the stretch dept. others will tell you its a plus. I also think the floro is tougher and sinks better. I also like it for the deep water in the canyons. Personally for me I use an 11 foot leader to get the most efficient use out of a skein. I just want my leader to reach beyond the tail. I have never found a reason to have a longer leader.

I really think people jump to the conclusion that fish are automatically finicky if they don't get bit. They don't always eat and it could be there is nothing wrong with your terminal gear. Sometimes these fish when they get on something they will only eat that one thing and if you aren't soaking it, your shit out of luck. Best way around this I find is to have a buddy network. I want to know what the bait is under me, what depth is the bite happening and what baits are they getting bites on. Sometimes for example, if you have bluefish soaking you can murder fish while others wont. Four days later you wont catch a cold with them. You need to be able to adapt and try lots of stuff if your not getting bit. Lots of very good fisherman on here to help you out.

9. Downrigga

Downrigga Captain

Boat Make:
    36' NB
    I reread your post and realized I didn't answer all your questions. In my opinion I would not tie a hook directly to my top shot. You need that swivel for obivous reasons. I think your really over thinking the stealth aspect. You know those days when they eat everything and anything. I watched a giant eat a 2 liter coke bottle floating on the surface. You also know those days when you cant get em to eat anything. I would not look to change up the terminal tackle to much as every tuna fisherman has these days too. I have never once in 38 years of fishing for these things ever dropped below a 170# leader. I think for me what I find more important is presentation. My presentation starts at the swivel. A #230 Spro power swivel works best for me. I think its important use a hook size that matches the size of the bait verses having to use a 10/0 for example for every different bait because Johnny caught his yesterday on 10/0 hooks. I want a clean leader with no memory. Lastly, I use 1 tiny copper crimp, 1/2 the size of your thumb nail. It's very rare you need to be more stealth that that. If I'm fishing live, I want it to be the right bait and check them often. If your going to use dead bait, make sure you learn how to sew all the popular baits so they look natural. Stick baits can be deadly, big fan of them.

I want at least three or four baits in the water because I want to cover the water column. Chances are that nice fish you caught was picking up the tails because it liked the rate they were sinking at verses the bigger chunks. They do funny things all the time. The belly holds a lot of answers as you found out. I Like to open them and see what they are eating. Often you will get a good sense of direction.

Old Mud and 30-06guy like this.
  10. F/V RISE AN SHINE

F/V RISE AN SHINE Member

Thanks for the information .like you probably know 100 guys an can't get shit for feed back I understand totally.but for me if I can help someone else out will do .so thank you

11. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

All good info from DRigger. A good network can help a lot. E mails are best because they are private and a lot of guys don't want everyone to know. The things that can help you save a lot of traveling and /or time. what time, how deep, what bait, rigged or live. what was he feeding on ? etc.

Downrigga likes this.