Urgent Life Raft Information Dated Feb 18, 2016

Discussion in 'Commercial Fishermen's Forum' started by CaptDave, Feb 20, 2016.

1. CaptDave

CaptDave Captain

U.S. Coast Guard (Civilian)
    Boat Make:
    31' Eastern w/John Deere 6076 AFM30
    URGENT information , Please See the Latest Informations Regarding Life Rafts

The Coast Guard came out with a USCG Rafts Policy Letter December 2015 with a large amount of information. There is a matrix at the end showing you what type of raft you need. On February 18th the USCG released a Rafts Clarification dated February 18th stating the Rafts Policy Letter is cancelled. Read both to try to understand what you are required to have on board for a life raft. It is highly recommended you contact your local Commercial Fishing Vessel Inspector to find out EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE FOR A RAFT. From our understanding these changes affect mostly smaller fishing boats which fish beyond three miles and those which are state registered. Once again contact your local Fishing Boat Inspector for additional clarification.

The links for the changes and letters along with the contact information can e found at http://www.stellwagenbank.org

Don't Kill the Messenger

2. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Thanks for posting that Dave. I guessing im not as smart as the guy who wrote that up. Totally confused. :???: I will contact my CFVI to find what i need. This is just great, right after i went and got my REC. permit.

Yeah i know "Don't Kill the Messenger"
    I really do appreciate that even if it Pisses me off. :D

3. Roy-c

Roy-c Senior Member

The way I understand it the bill signed into law on Feb 8th addresses only boats with a COI. It allows them to continue using life floats in place life rafts. I don't believe there has been any change to the rules requiring COMMERCIAL fishing vessels to be equipped with a liferaft if fishing outside of 3 miles that take effect at the end of Feb. Check with your local CG commercial fishing vessel inspectors as I know there are some glitches in the application of the rules such as some areas you would think it applies to it doesn't and I believe there may be vessel size exemptions. For instance I believe all of Cape Cod Bay is an exempt area for the life raft requirement. i also have been told you need a commercial fishing vessel exam if you fish outside of 3 miles. The whole thing is a bureaucratic nightmare.

4. googinhater

googinhater Captain

fisherman
    Boat Make:
    38 yb. f/v wildlife
    Roy cape cod bay would be state waters inside 3miles but not 100% on that it be the state water line that the raft comes in to play

5. CCtuna

CCtuna Captain

Boat Make:
    Some day...
  6. jim

jim Captain

Retired FDNY, commercial tuna/sword handgear
    Boat Make:
    48ft Dixon
    jim,
    2 people like this.
  7. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made

This entire industry and how its Miss Managed is a ****in joke.

2 people like this.
  8. restless

restless Captain

I'll bet the guys that make and sell rafts are crying in their beer today. They probably ramped up production in anticipation of a windfall.