What to use

Discussion in 'Otis Enterprises Marine Corp. (OEM MARINE)' started by Capt. Rick, Jan 14, 2015.

1. hntrss

hntrss Captain

Commercial Fisheman/ marine mechanic
    Boat Make:
    31 Duffy
    No Rick, cut strips . Glued - yes with epoxy in the corners . Just bedded in caulking. I found out after that Azec makes a glue specifically for their product. Supposedly works really well. Before you scribe it , you will need equal sized blocks to compensate for the radius of the trunk. The Azec sands like a champ. Easy to work with . contractors express gave me a damaged piece free. They had plenty of scrap.

2. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 Willis Beal
    Oh yea Mike I must pay attention to whose board I am chirping on :)

Thx for the info Glen.....

3. marktore

marktore Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Parker 25 SE
    Hntrss so you didn't use any fasteners to fix the Azec, just epoxy? No worries about pounding/flexing over time?

Rick I was thinking you would get a scrap piece of starboard or one of the coring sheets that come pre glassed and make a one piece bezel...

MT

4. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 Willis Beal
    Hey. Finally got around to fixing the damn leak. Decided to make a bezel using 1" thick acrylic. I was able to get a cut off piece of 1" white acrylic 2' x 4' piece from my plastics supplier, luckily. Cut the "ring' shape and scribed the bottom edges to fit the curve of the trunk cabin. Grinded the bottom with a 1" x 30" table top belt sander I picked up cheap at Harbor Freight.
    Drilled and c/s some mounting holes. Sanded smooth and sprayed it white using acrylic polyurethane paint (we use at my sign shop-good shit). Waited for some warm weather and
    used west systems 610 thickened epoxy to install the new bezel to the trunk cabin roof. I wound up buying a new hatch as I did not think the old one would come off with out damage.
    Drilled and tapped holes in the top of the bezel to install the new hatch using regular white silicone caulk. Hot damn no more leaks not even a drop. VERY happy about that.
    Now on to killing things (fish).

Attached Files:

5. El Mar

El Mar Captain

That looks great!

Nice job.

How did the West like sticking to the acrylic?

6. Capt. Rick

Capt. Rick Senior Member

Boat Make:
    31 Willis Beal
    Thanks El Mar. I did a test with a piece of clear gloss acrylic with the 610. I spread a big glob of the 610 onto the acrylic, then I whacked the Shit out of it with a hammer and after several blows it did let go from the acrylic - funny the 610 material did not crack at all, tough as nails I tell ya. On the bezel itself, the bottom was grinded, so it had tooth. Also, the piece was sprayed with epoxy paint first.... Hopefully there wont be any issues with the bonding, when it was installed I screwed it down with 12 stainless screws. Not too tight just until it was lightly seated. Then fileted smooth on the inside and outside.