What's your go to Rod and Reel?

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by milokr23, Oct 11, 2018.

1. milokr23

milokr23 Member

Boat Make:
    Tripp/Marscot 22
    Looking for what people are using for their "go to" rod and reel setups?

I am not a huge fisherman but do occasionally go out and mess around. Mostly fishing for porgy, black sea bass, and tautog. Occasionally go for blues and stripers as well.

I have been using a 6' Penn Mariner Boat rod with Penn Defiance 25 reel mainly and I am thinking about adding getting another rod for the boat. Just curious what people are using for different types of fish. Especially Tautog setups if you use something specific.

Thanks

2. eyecatcher

eyecatcher Senior Member

I like cork grips but thats a personal preference, you can go custom, but as far as production rods there are many nice ones and the skys the limit. For instance you can get a United Composites Elite 700M or a Shimano Trevala TVC66MH with an Avet SXJ reel pretty versatile would be an upgrade to what you have. In general this type of fishing is usually with a rod would in the 6.5 -7' range from a regular boat with a sensitive tip with and enough backbone to get unstuck from the deep wrecks. Most of us are using spectra type line and heavy sinkers. You would want a high gear ratio if your fishing deeper spots >50' and a reel with like a 5:1 ratio.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    milokr23 likes this.
  3. willbfishin

willbfishin Senior Member

lamiglass tri -flex
    7 foot
    20-40 lb

Awesome bottom fish rod for what your doing
    I'd go with a star drag reel for bottom fishing over a lever drag.... my fav is Newell in the 5:1 gear ratio

Rod has a sensitive tip and plenty of backbone to stop fish from getting you caught up in the wreck

4. npv

npv New Member

For a reel an Avet SX, SXJ, or Shimano Torium 14 would be fine. With rods the sky is the limit it really depends what you want to spend. As stated above the Shimano Trevala M or MH is a great rod for not a lot of money.

npv,
  5. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Avet reels are great! Plus made in USA, or great materials. Lever drag vs star drag for bottom fishing is a matter of preference. I like the lever drags now that I have been using them for a while.

6. novivin

novivin Senior Member

Lamilglass is a great rod material too. I like the backbone plus higher tip sensitivity. I fish those same species and have graphite rods, eglass and lamiglass. I would only go graphite for really deep water due to excess sensitivity and stiffness. That can be a bear when togging. It makes you think a tog is nibbling all the time.

MASTERENEGADE and strikecharters like this.
  7. novivin

novivin Senior Member

CMS New Bedford makes great rods, priced well against mass produced competitors offerings, plus wraps are way better and mighty pretty.

starrfish, eyecatcher, Duke and 2 others like this.
  8. jrbflusing

jrbflusing Member

just retired
    Boat Make:
    seaway
    look at G loomas rods new old stock newell best of the best ebay has some of this type of tackle

9. SemperFishBoston

SemperFishBoston Senior Member

Fireman
    Boat Make:
    AJ26 Duffy
    Avets reels and okuma cedros rods. From a price point, the okuma rods have alps guides and alps reel seats. Hard to beat at $100+\- a pop.

10. tuna_fan

tuna_fan Captain

Shimano TLD star drags...dont think they make them anymore. you cant kill them....hold up much better than anything ive tried, including the new stuff.

11. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Retired
    Newell P Series reels and Seeker rods.

12. thebridge

thebridge Senior Member

Penn Power Stick Plus and a Penn 704SS or the SV 5500. They don't make the Power Stick Plus anymore so I gotta find another rod!