Wipers or Rainx

Discussion in 'Downeast Boat General Discussion' started by Squider42, Jan 11, 2019 at 9:35 AM.

1. Squider42

Squider42 Senior Member

Talking with a guy building a downeast boat with the 5 window front. He is at the point of making a decision of wipers and how many, or none at all. What opinions are out there.
    I hear, one is enough, you do not need more.
    Then some say wipers are a waste of time just use Rainx.
    I was thinking maybe 2 of the windows on the helm would give clear visibility to the driver.
    Then there was a point maybe you want one for the passenger side to assist while going in bad weather.
    Thoughts

2. Kirby

Kirby Member

Boat Make:
    42' Wesmac
    Squider42, I'm currently building a 42' (5) window boat and have decided to go with just (2) wipers in front of helm station on starboard side of boat. I put controls in for (5) wipers in the event I or the next owner decides to put in the other (3) wipers down the road. Going with rain-x for other (3) windows w/o wipers. Good quality wipers and motors are not cheap plus you have to deal with the maintenance aspect of them. I had a 38' (3) window Duffy before this boat and I had only (1) wiper in front of helm station. Other two windows were treated with rain-x. Worked out well for me.

Fishonnelsons likes this.
  3. El Mar

El Mar Captain

Boat Make:
    43 Tiara Open DDEC, Grady white 268 Islander 250 OX66, 15 Boston Whaler Sport ETec 60
    Rain X works, you just need to put it on every time you plan on leaving the dock.

That said I would do wipers at the helm. RainX for everything else.

doug hill and Genius like this.
  4. CEShawn

CEShawn Captain

USCG Chief Engineer, Motor & Gas TurbineUSCG First
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    RP35
    Definitely need to have some wipers...especially coming into the harbor at night, slow down and left with some residual water on the window, also coming into effect angle of window etc. Need some, but quality, they will last much longer...

doug hill, Downrigga and Old Mud like this.
  5. CRABBYPATTI

CRABBYPATTI Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    BHM
    Hi Squider 42 saw your post and would like to comment on your issue I have no wipers on my boat and strictly rely on RainX like a lot of members talk about Just want to say I drove to Tennessee for a wedding and we had a lot of rain I recently installed RainX wipers on my vehicle and was told to use the orange RainX I found that stuff to work out so well I will try it on my boat windows next as I think it worked better than the RainX spray window treatment and did not fog up the windows Iwill put the orange RainX in a spray bottle and try that next as you can buy a gallon for 4 bucks Give it shot I believe it will work as it did on my drive down South

doug hill likes this.
  6. restless

restless Captain

I have three windows. No wipers. Rain X works ok but I plan on installing one wiper.

7. Prime Time II

Prime Time II Member

Boat Make:
    Maine Coaster
    I have 3 windows. wipers on outer 2 rain x on all . i didnt have any wipers and only used the rain x. way better having the wipers !

8. MBILL

MBILL Senior Member

Retired
    Boat Make:
    35 Duffy&Duffy
    I use RainX on my windows, no wipers....
    Never had a problem. I feel that RainX works much better than wipers, especially in light rain.

strikecharters likes this.
  9. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

Boat Make:
    44' Stanley, 40 Webbers Cove, 19 Ocean Pointer
    RainX, no wipers year round in Massachusetts.

10. powderpro

powderpro Captain

Boat builder, commercial salmon fisherman
    Home Page:
    Boat Make:
    O'Neil
    I've never had a boat with wipers, always used Rainx and been happy with its performance. Just don't forget to apply it before heading out.

11. CapeCodNorton

CapeCodNorton Senior Member

Firefighter/Paramedic Hyannis Fire Department
    Boat Make:
    23 Crowley Beal
    3 windows, no wipers just rainx. I think I will eventually add a wiper to the helm glass. I find the rainx does great at shedding larger quantities of spray but it does nothing for little nagging drops that build up over a trip.

Downrigga and TCL like this.
  12. steveinak

steveinak Captain

Boat Make:
    H&H / Pen Bay
    4 window house,3 glass windows in split house and plexi in hauler station opening window. 1 wiper in house and rainx for others. If i had the bucks i'd have a spinner window.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:28 AM
  13. Henfruit

Henfruit Senior Member

Depends on which state I am in.
    Boat Make:
    Samson 30
    I have 4 windows. 2 windows have wipers. Port and starboard. Works well. Wife likes having her own. But I control it. My boat is wet so I need wipers.

14. offshore27ns

offshore27ns Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wesmac
    I have a 5 window Wesmac. Put wipers on every window. It’s not necessary but if you have even a little OCD like I do you will want wipers for every window

15. tunaorlater

tunaorlater Captain

LIPA lineman
    Boat Make:
    40' Northern bay
    Only thing wipers hurt is the wallet. If it’s a question I’d put em on. Don’t have to use them but I bet he will

Downrigga likes this.
  16. Mr Machine

Mr Machine Senior Member

Boat Make:
    36 Northern Bay
    Looked at a Duffy That had a wiper installed but instead of the motor it had a Manual polished handle and it didn’t look bad at all

17. Genius

Genius Captain

Really, I always wondered about the clear views. Seen them, never used one. Rainx doesn't last long, I agree.

18. BlueMack

BlueMack Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Bruno & Stillman 35
    Wipers,

I use the Imtra Roca W10 motors. And a cole hersee controller switch. You can find the motors for 105-110 each and the switches run around 75-125 depending on multi motor or single. Best economical set up. You can always run on single speed and a toggle switch. I really like the multi switch though. I have 3 windows. Been running 2, adding a third this year. You can go to the Imtra web site and download the calculator fill it out and email it to them. The will tell you what wiper arm and blade you need for the setup. I highly recommend doing it.

Rob

19. TCL

TCL Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Sabre 36 The Captain's Lady
    I agree. I use RainX, wipers but also have a good fresh water spray system. It's the very light salt mist that is the most annoying.

TCL,
  20. junkman

junkman Member

Lots of opinions on this subject, one thing I have noticed is that Rainx eats wiper blades. I have not tried their wiper blades, but every time I have used it on my trucks the wiper blades start to chatter then begin to deposit rubber onto the glass. Maybe one or the other but not both together.