Wolffish question

Discussion in 'Striper, Blues, Cod, Haddock, Hake, Sharks' started by Cleanlines78, May 18, 2018.

1. Cleanlines78

Cleanlines78 Senior Member

Sprinklerfitter
    Boat Make:
    27 nauset lobster
    So maybe someone can shed some light on my question. Why can' we keep wolffish. I was talking to a friend yesterday that works on a day dragger out of Gloucester and is a lobsterman and we were wondering. His stance is how can limit a fish that is basically a bycatch to them. I personally have never caught one but it got me thinking. They do drag up a few when dragging in the spring but very few. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the science that they used to place those zero retention limits on them, or any updates to the current thoughts surrounding them.

2. Pedlyr

Pedlyr Senior Member

Port Engineer
    The environmentalists tried this years ago with the Barndoor Skate. They pick a widely scattered species with very little science availible and start making conservation claims.

Wolfish/ Catfish are tough as nails. And excellent eating

3. F/V Bad Influence

F/V Bad Influence Senior Member

Boat Make:
    Wayne Beal
    you expect US to understand why NMFS does for science? they just throw darts and see what fish species it land on. Only "science" they use if the one to protect their ass to keep their jobs.

Old Mud and Tunatown like this.
  4. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    True about the NMFS, just look at the past and the Dogfish decisions. When that all started out it was to appease the enviros. They had to protect something /Anything to quell the noise they made. So the Spiny Dogfish was picked and justified by their "Best available science" (Yeah, Scary). They protected the single species that can over run nearly every other form of life in the Gulf of Maine !!!!. But the time they removed them from the "Endangered" list it was a complete Fuster Cluck.

Wonder where so many of the young Cod went ?? DUH. Geez i better go to work before i get ready to "Hurt" their feelings. :rolleyes:

JDTOOM, Genius and junkman like this.
  5. leaky

leaky Captain

I actually think the population seems to be going up, I've always caught one here and there but lately seems I get a couple a trip and I'm finding them in places where I never caught them before.

6. BillD

BillD Captain

Business owner
    Portsmouth NH, boating out of the mighty Merrimack
    Boat Make:
    25 Terry Jason with Cummins 370 power....28 Henriques SF with twin Volvo 41P 200 power
    last wolfish I caught years ago was one ugly and mad critter. Tossed it in the drink cooler.
    Bugger bit thru one of the soda cans with the fangs....made a mess.... tasty meat though

[​IMG]

Old Mud likes this.
  7. HappyHour

HappyHour Senior Member

Lobsterman
    Boat Make:
    35' Mitchell Cove
    IMG_2134.JPG watch your fingers...

BillD and Pedlyr like this.
  8. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Yeah that's where a pair of Conger eel tongs come in handy. Tasty absolutely !!! Better than most ground fish save the Sole, and other flats. And much more tender than Steak you can buy now !!!! .

9. kcassells

kcassells Senior Member

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    This time Sportcraft 222 w/225 OB Johnson..wishing for a DE
  10. Old Mud

Old Mud Captain

Retired Fisherman
    Boat Make:
    Ho Made
    Kcassels, you do know where that report is coming from don't you ?

| www.CLF.org the Conservation Law Foundation. Much like Pews, and the likes not All the information is reveled, just one side. Not what one should put to much belief in unless one does much more research. For the most part those people don't get out there and see for themselves what the true story is. Science, facts etc. Their goal is to "protect" any species that they hear from news, books, any media or disgruntled fishermen . in reality they are against All fishing, Dragging, Gill netting even pin hooking. Commercial or Recreational.

While most folks that fish usually know more about a given species than what is being spread as "Gospel"

11. kcassells

kcassells Senior Member

Phila Master Plumber
    Boat Make:
    This time Sportcraft 222 w/225 OB Johnson..wishing for a DE
    Yea I saw that too. Figured it was just some side of info. Who killed Kennedy?

Old Mud likes this.