WTB Wagner A-W Helm Pump

Discussion in 'Boat Parts / Fishing Gear/ Electronics / Materials' started by gromitt99, Apr 24, 2015.

1. gromitt99

gromitt99 New Member

I'm looking to buy one or two Wagner model A-W helm pumps in good condition. The shaft, especially, needs to be in good condition. If you have pump that doesn't work, but the shaft is in good shape I would be interested in that too.

If you have one or two I'm interested in hearing from you.

Hansel likes this.
  2. Ol Gilnetter

Ol Gilnetter Senior Member

How about a couple Wagner Model AX helm pumps, got two of them, 3/4 straight shaft wheel mount, but you can get adapter to 1" straight, also have a Wagner N65 cylinder. Pulled when working, replaced with new system. Just sitting on the shelf at my shop, name your price, take all three please....

Thanks,
    Chris

Attached Files:

Parttime likes this.
  3. Laura

Laura Member

USCG licensed chief engineer UL
    Chris, I'll gladly take that steering ram off your hands. The previous owner of my boat replaced the old ram with a hynautic k3 (22.9 CID)... problem is that I've got wagner aw pumps (1.9 CID/rev). Right now I'm at about 11 1/2 turns lock to lock, so I need a smaller cylinder (or bigger pumps). Look for a pm from me.

Gromitt99- if a smaller cylinder doesn't work out for me, I might have two aw pumps for ya. Will let you know if they become available.

4. gromitt99

gromitt99 New Member

Chris-I appreciate the offer, however, I am looking specifically for the AW pumps as the way my boat is constructed I would prefer a simple drop in replacement.

Laura-By all means, please let me know if those AW pumps become available. Its funny that they are so elusive to me since Wagner made so many of them. There has got to be a place where they get together and hide from those of us who want to keep on using that helm pump.

Paul

5. Ol Gilnetter

Laura, pm sent back, that cylinder is all yours, just going to gather dust on my shelf. If you presently have AW's and they are 1.95 cubes this cylinder should work fine, my AX helms are 1.95's

Grommit, wasn't aware the AW's were a lot different than the AX models, I think both are 1.95 cube models, but must be different mounting scenario, I have never seen one so no basis for knowledge, good luck with search, there is a guy named Wayne at Marine-Plus.com, he's an old Wagner guru, he might know, web site has his email. Also Baltimore Hydraulics will rebuild old Wagner helms, they might be of some assistance.

Thanks,
    Chris

6. gromitt99

gromitt99 New Member

Yeah, the difference is in the mounting. The housing for the pump is a bit different. I'll have to check out the two places you mentioned. Hopefully if I can get the three stations in good working order the boat can go another 37 years without steering issues.

7. will Luduena

will Luduena New Member

I guys I have a Wagner A-W Helm Pump.
    Just wondering if anyone knows the Value?
    I am looking to sell, it has beenrebuilt.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

8. Fishbound

Fishbound Member

I may be interested. I have a spare now, but would be interested in one where it did not leak at the shaft. This is a common problem with these older helm 's. The shaft gets worn then they leak. Especially if the pump is vertical mounted like mine. My email is Captkaneb@gmail.com. Email me and Let me me know how much you may want for it.

Thanks
    Kane

ronald likes this.
  9. ronald

ronald New Member

I have Wagner A-W helm pump and a N85 cylinder never used. Can anyone tell me what their value might be,even roughly??? Thanks Ronald.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  10. Fishinengineer

Fishinengineer Senior Member

Retired Merchant Marine Chief Engineer
    Boat Make:
    Duffy
    You could try an SKF Speedi- sleeve and a new oil seal. Another option is to seat the seal in a slightly different position to get the sealing surface out of the groove.

11. Plastered

Plastered Member

Plasterer
    Boat Make:
    31 jc
    I was wondering if anyone had a used but working Wagner aw pump still for sale thanks

12. Keelboater

Keelboater Captain

Boat Make:
    35' Bruno & Stillman
    Is Wagner still in business? I have an old model B1 helm but know nothing about it. Their web site seems to be up and running but I emailed for info and never got a reply. Part numbers are available but no info on displacement.

13. Ol Gilnetter

Wagner is still in business, but not servicing the helms discussed on this thread. Baltimore hydraulics can rebuild any mentioned above. I have a pair of AX helms pulled in working condition, but have not been able to give them away....! Hate to scrap them, but the reality is their age makes it a little dicey to install in a boat where you may have to modify your helm and or make other provisions. Most people would clearly see the angle that new helms is the smart move.

Keelboater likes this.
  14. Plastered

Plastered Member

Plasterer
    Boat Make:
    31 jc
    do you you guys know if the ax helm is compatable in place of the aw

15. Ol Gilnetter

Looks like they mount differently, so if you have AW and you swap in an AX you will likely be modifying something at your helm. The AX helms I have are 1.95 cubes.

16. Plastered

Plastered Member

Plasterer
    Boat Make:
    31 jc
    I don't care I'm going to have to patch some holes anyway because I'm moving my Helm anyway let me know how much you want for it I'll take it off your hands I'm in South Shore Mass

17. Ol Gilnetter

You have to take both helms, I insist! You can have them for shipping costs. Send email to Chris@dahlelectric dot com, put Wager AX in subject line. You should look at your cylinder and make sure 1.95 cubes is not going to result in umpteen turns lock to lock.

18. Plastered

Plastered Member

Plasterer
    Boat Make:
    31 jc
    there are no tags on my cylinder do I measure the stroke or the diameter

19. Ol Gilnetter

Diameter of the body minus some material thickness maybe figure 1/8" x 2 and the length of the stroke will get you close.

Example- cylinder body is 2" diameter, minus 1/8" x 2 for the cylinder walls so 1.75" and maybe it has a 9" stroke. Volume = pi (3.14) x radius squared x length(stroke), which in this example would be about 21.5 cubic inches. The helms move 1.95 cubic inches per revolution so you would be at 11 turns from hard over one side to hard over the other side.

Do you have a helm now? What is it? How many turns lock to lock?

20. Plastered

Plastered Member

Plasterer
    Boat Make:
    31 jc
    I have A Wagner aw and my cylinder is small it's probably 5 in of stroke maybe 6 and I believe from my helm it's about 6 turns hard over too hard over my Helm has developed a lot of play in the shaft and I'm afraid it's going to let me down it also clicks really hard and has become much tighter