“ Slippery 38” Origins

A.G.

Ensign
First Name
Andy
I’m confused as to the designer/ modeler of the Y.B. “ Slippery 38” or “ Beals Island 38 “ as I just recently learned it is also referred to as. I had understood that Earnest Libby is credited with the design of the wood boat the mold was taken from but have also read that Osmond Beal is credited as well. Any hard evidence either way out there?
Any leads to original builder specs. or figures? It would be very helpful to find a displacement value .
Thanks for the help

Tuna Hotline

Commander
I was under the impression it was an Osmond. Will be interested to hear what the story is!

WoundUpMarine

Admiral
Lite User
First Name
John
Boat Make
26' Duffy, 23' Seaway, 14' Holland

Aotea

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ian
The old Slippery 38 was from a wooden boat original (either a built hull or a custom plug) by Earnest Libby.

Corned Hake provided the hull for molds for H&H, not Young Bros., according to this post here and a first-hand comment by Mainly Boats: NEW FLOWER'S 38' 1000hp CAT.

Frank Grimes

Rear Admiral
First Name
John
That makes sense relative to a different article I found when looking for Corned Hake threads. Someone was commenting how he saw the Corned Hake in a new 45’ Dixon that was being finished. Maybe it was the 42’ Glas-spec I was thinking of.....but I could have sworn the Beals hull that served as the plug for the slippery 38’ was an Osmond.

stumpstalker

Lieutenant Commander
Boat Make
22-ft. Tripp Angler inboard
According to Jon B. Johansen, as of 8-15-19, whose affiliations include,

Publisher, Maine Coastal News

President, Maine Built Boats

President, Maine Lobster Boat Racing

Director International Maritime Library

President, Winterport Historical

Board - MS Harbor Fest

Board - Port Safety Forum

Researcher, Penobscot Marine Museum,

“The "Slippery" 38 is the first Young Brothers hull put in fiberglass. She was splashed from a new wooden boat in Corea harbor, home of the Young Brothers and is an Osmond Beal design. This incidence did not go over well with Osmond. The thought was once a Beals Island model was offered in fiberglass the future of wooden boatbuilding on the island would come to an end. The boat is still offered by S. W. Boat Works of Lamoine who also has the other Young Brother moulds”

A.G.

Ensign
First Name
Andy
Thanks for the help with this. I think the Bonafides speak for themselves . Any thought as to the name of the original wood boat?

Aotea

Lieutenant Commander
First Name
Ian
After Frank's post I looked for the post about Earnest Libby's plug, which I thought I read here. But I couldn't find it. Stumpstalker knows the most about the Slippery 38. That reference is pretty definitive. Finally solved.

A.G.

Ensign
First Name
Andy
Sounds very convincing to me . I’m still interested in any promotional literature from Young Bros. regarding the boats and any drawings if anyone has some or a source. I think I noticed an outboard profile and deck plan for the boat drawn by Spencer Lincoln .Does anyone have suggestions on how I can research that angle?

A.G.

Ensign
First Name
Andy
I wonder if he may have drawn a set of lines as well?

Top Bottom