100k for a NY food fish license?

Montauk Rocket

Commander
I just came across a sale of a corporate license. Fluke, no striped bass. 100k.

Is that really what those things trade for these days? I know a guy here in mtk who paid 40k (with bass tags) a few years back, and I thought that was nutty...

Montauk Rocket

Commander
How much product would have to hauled back and sold to repay that amount and then turn a profit?

Depends on the daily limit of course (which is usually between 70-200 lbs I believe) , but at that rate, less fuel and expenses, I'd think it would take quite a while...

oldshell55

Captain
Boat Make
BHM36 , 38’ young bros ,
it's a write off, and you also can sell it. a young guy has his whole career to pay it off and it's not just fluke. wish we could sell other permits when it's time to retire in NY . Big issue, but I say it's worth the money if you want to fish and can't get a permit. by the way a Hershey bar is $2, used to be 5 cents :| Remember?

Badlatitude

Rear Admiral
it's a write off, and you also can sell it. a young guy has his whole career to pay it off and it's not just fluke. wish we could sell other permits when it's time to retire in NY . Big issue, but I say it's worth the money if you want to fish and can't get a permit. by the way a Hershey bar is $2, used to be 5 cents :| Remember?

That's makes as much sense as the assholes trying to sell area 6 lobster permits for 25 grand. :eek:

Montauk Rocket

Commander

It's really just fluke, no bass tags. Dec has landing licenses (or food fish if you can show the income.) for the other stuff.

Seems like that 100k would make more money in Nasdaq.

pugsley

Captain
isn't it also good for squid, bluefish, monkfish (state waters only) weakfish, (whatever that limit might be right now) etc. ?

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
44 John Williams (stanley)
Restless hit the nail on the head...NMFS makes investing in the future of commercial fishing like betting on a horse. Although IMO your odds are much better at the track.

Put $95,000 of the 100k for the permit into silver coins and bury them in your backyard. Take the other $5000 and buy a $35 dollar tuna permit, some wicked rods :rolleyes: and a chumcutter and you are ready for prime time TV.

Montauk Rocket

Commander
Restless hit the nail on the head...NMFS makes investing in the future of commercial fishing like betting on a horse. Although IMO your odds are much better at the track.

Put $95,000 of the 100k for the permit into silver coins and bury them in your backyard. Take the other $5000 and buy a $35 dollar tuna permit, some wicked rods :rolleyes: and a chumcutter and you are ready for prime time TV.

:roll: Can't forget the chumcutter! Wicked Tuna!

Back to reality, I agree. Hard to justify a 100k permit in addition to an expensive, depreciating piece of machinery in order to chase a few hundred bucks a day in profit 100 days a year...

jim

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
44 John Williams (stanley)
I just bought a swordfish handgear permit for 1/4 of the price of that fluke permit and I hold my breath everytime a HMS advisory panel gets together. I cant imagine spending 100k on a permit unless it was scallop with quota.

CSFISH

Lieutenant Commander
The only moratorium permit on there is fluke. The limit for most of the year is 50 - 100 lbs depending on the month with the exception being 1000 lbs once a week from Jan - March. And if you fish Jan - March you will also need a federal fluke as well. A food fish permit with all of the moratorium endorsements ( fluke,striped bass, conch, lobster, crab) go for 30 - 40,000 grand. 90,000 is ridiculous.

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
I thought it had Bass too. 100 grand is a joke. Maybe its worth 25. That you could justify. It opens you up to Blackfish, seabass, scup, blues and fluke. And there is always the fact that you can resell it anytime and lease it out. But there is always a fool with money out there. Worth a shot.

restless

Rear Admiral
Does any one know if it comes with the federal boat permits? Fluke, Seabass and Scup are all moratorium permits.The corporate license alone will not allow you to fish for regulated species beyond three miles.

duxbait

Captain
Not interested in one of these permits, just wondering what exactly the permit is? Is it not a normal fishing permit, does it allow you to do more than catch and sell fish to wholesale? Can you catch the fish and sell for market price or direct to restaurants?

hntrss

Rear Admiral
Boat Make
31 Duffy
It allows you to catch and sell covered fish in NY state waters only. Many species (like Fluke, Striped Bass and certain shellfish) require separate endorsements.

Toro

Commander
Boat Make
19 Pointer
anyone got a link to ny law about wholesaling finfish?

Top Bottom