16' wide novi boat

NausetBruno

Ensign
I know dj smith made one of these around 8ft wide. Hes not in production anymore? Anyone else know of a builder? I need one wide/stable because i will be hauling 1000lbs~ of weight at a time

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
I know dj smith made one of these around 8ft wide. Hes not in production anymore? Anyone else know of a builder? I need one wide/stable because i will be hauling 1000lbs~ of weight at a time

A lot of Novi's were bought because the price was dirt cheap for a lot of boat. The Canadian dollar was 65 cents on the dollar and they were cheaper to begin with.

If you have to spend more money for a novi boat than a downeast boat, you probably are not thinking a boat purchase out correctly.. they can make a 16' wide downeaster.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
36 Hatteras/13 Whaler/24 Sailfish
NausetBruno

I think he's picked up some government work and that's why he's quiet these days. That's a rumor if I heard, but I could be totally wrong.

Check out the Leblanc now made by Wedgeport. I have a 16'10"x8'1" Leblanc myself in a center console configuration...google him, chap's name is Peter Bennett.

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
And if you search for my thread 2007 Leblanc 1610 you'll see what I have. There are schematics, pictures, and a build thread.

NausetBruno

Ensign
thanks for the replies guys. I like that 16 leblanc a lot, will be something i look into. Basically what i need the boat for is a lobster skiff to and from my 35'. I do not have a dock at my landing. Its about a 10 minute ride to the mooring by skiff. The beach where i unload is very rocky so the hull will take abuse. Every 2-3 years i will have to take the engine off, flip the boat over and glass a new strip on the keel. This is why i was thinking 16 novi, one spot will hit the shore taking the abuse. Unlike my friend with a whaler, very stable, but has to glass each tri when they wear down. Being wide and stable is ideal because with 1000 pounds on board a 16' things can get a little tipsy. Hopefully with a 40 or 50 i can get on plane with that much weight as well. Hopefully something used will pop up or i might have to go new

lobstercatcher

Rear Admiral
A lot of guys use Carolina skiffs now. A 16 " ought to hold a 1000lbs easy enough. They make them bigger if it isn't.

A novi will have the pointed bow where a Carolina skiff has the wide flat ramp bow. It would also be easier loading and unloading from the bow if that is how you have to do it.

duxbait

Captain
How about one of those novis they use for rock weed? Not sure who makes them but i think they are about 18'x9'. They would hold the 1000lbs easy. Or for a cheap fix would a wood skiff work? Add an extra layer of plywood to the bow that is easy to replace. Easy to push and cheap to make

NausetBruno

Ensign
Carolina skiff has always been a top option. Only problem is the bottom takes a ton of wear. I use a culling board so i can slide crates rights into the back of my truck. Since the whole bottom is flat theres really no protection like a small keel can offer. A friends of mine bought one last year and in one season it needed a gallon or so of resin. Im currently running a 16ft wooden skiff. Seems like every year i fix more rot and paint forever so ive been dreaming for a bit of a glass boat

BOSBoatMan

Vice Admiral
Boat Make
Nausetbruno

I thought about it. I know of a new Leblanc 16 that's on the hard. If you send me an email I can send you a link to a picture of it. She was built in 07 I believe and never been registered/titled/or used....just like mine but a slightly different configuration.

Seller's very tough to get a hold of but I can find out if he's still got it. It was there when i drove by about four months ago.

Top Bottom